Direction/ideas for introducing my daughter to soccer

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by usa_superfan, Mar 7, 2006.

1. usa_superfan

usa_superfan New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    I have a 3 year old who I'd like to get involved in youth soccer. She likes to kick the ball around with me and seems to be interested, but I don't want to put her in a camp or program that might scare her off of wanting to participate later. I have my own bad experiences from competitive youth baseball and soccer of psycho parents trying to push their children too hard. So I'm a bit concerned that the programs that start at age 3 don't do much besides getting the kids started before they are really ready.

It would be great if I could hear from some parents about how/when they introduced their children to the game and the things that worked & didn't work. :)

2. Bellus Ludas

Bellus Ludas New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Greeality
    There is a tremendous program offered by John Ellis of Soccer Academy called Parent and Child. If they don't have someone in your area I am sure they would be happy to give info. Beyond that just get in the yard and have fun.

http://www.soccer-academy.com/

3. our town club has peanuts..3/4 year olds. they are too cute!! my daughter didn't start playing till 5 but they look like they have a blast!! our town will also has a bunch of out-of-towners since many towns don't offer rec this young.

in my short time as a soccer parent...i've noticed most of the pressure comes from the parents. keep it fun and it should stay fun.

4. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS MESS------ RUN, RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!!!!

PUSH HER INTO DANCE, OR JR DRAG RACING, OR FASHION. HECK, EVEN A NICE LITTLE SLAVE TRADE ORGANIZATION WOULD BE GOOD. STAY AWAY FROM THIS LIVING HE**!!!!!!

Just kidding, go slowly and let things happen as they come. The best advice I can give anyone is look at the parents you hate to sit next to now (because they are obnoxious or whatever) and make yourself never become them.

5. allsport132000

allsport132000 New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Formal soccer doesn't begin in our town until age 5 and recruitment flyers are sent home with kindergartners.

My eldest son started around then. His younger brother was chomping at the bit to play, bouncing off the walls when he was four. I knew a team forming and let him hang with them ... by the time anyone figured out he was too young, he was on the team. (Not promoting you do this - it's just the way we ignorantly did it back then.) But we did involve him BECAUSE he showed such a strong interest in playing at that age, not because we wanted him to be a soccer player.

The league has now added a four-year-old program and has a lot of drop in games. What is working - from where I sit with my teens and preteens - in the younger program is that they emphasis FUN at this age, and now and then introduce some skills, but make the FUN priority. My advice to you is to find a program that is not too aggressive at this age, maybe even a YMCA rec program, that sort of thing, unless the clubs in your area offer a younger introduction. Get a kid used to the ball, make it fun, the rest will follow.

6. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    3 is pretty young, most of the organized soccer academies in the Northeast start at around age 5. Go slow.
    I would recommend researching the bigger clubs in your area that have what we call out east, "Grass roots soccer".
    Its all about having fun at that age. I am also positive there isn't another organized sport that your player can get started at such a young age.
    good luck.

7. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    You did introduce her to the game by kicking the ball around with her. That is how we all first started. My grand daughter is three we play all the time. I have soccer balls all over the house and the outside grounds. My son has them in his home.

My grand daughter has relatives in Europe and when she visits them she always pklaying. You should see her goal scoring celebration, She scores drops down to her knees hand out and waves her arms hands in little fists. Then she either runs around the house or the outside depending on where she scores her goals :)

8. Arniesoccer

Arniesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Got to get them to watch some DVds and love the game. I wouldn't push her too much but definitely watching good quality stuff is important. Then she will want to practice with you.
    Check out this, a friend e-mailed it to me. Just put it in your browser
    proactivesoccer The guy really has something going plus he only has the kids interest at heart. My friend saw it on Big Soccer'

Arnie:cool:

9. Arniesoccer

Arniesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Sounds like they are having a blast! Have you tried munchkins soccer?

Arnie

10. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Go out in the back yard and kick the ball around with her

11. make it a play date with some other 3 y.olds.

12. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll never forget the first night of my training when I was coaching the little ones. The trainer reaches into his bag and pulls out a soccer ball.

"What's this?" he asks, looking around the room. "Anyone?"

We call out our answers. He shakes his head.

"A soccer ball." -- "Nope."

"The center of the game." -- "Nope."

"An adidas world cup replica ball." -- "Nope."

He holds up the ball. "This, ladies and gentlemen, in the eyes of a child, is a toy."

13. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Good one Labdarugo! [​IMG]

14. SoccerLuva

SoccerLuva New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    USA
    Just let it happen. Definitely keep kicking around the ball in your yard with her, and if she still shows an interest in it when she'd older, sign her up! But with kids that young, their interests change as fast as their dipers! This week she likes soccer, and next week that cardboard box will be the coolest club house ever!

15. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, pretty much what was said here. Make it fun and informal. Just dad/mom kicking around a ball with their daughter.

16. paul janaway

paul janaway BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 16, 2006
    Get her to kick the ball around in the yard and also watch lots of Soccer on TV. To be honest the English Premier League is the best due to the technical abilities of the players plus they come from all over the world. Thats right even some Americans there making good money.

Thanks for your thread reply, Arnie talking about my new DVD.
    I am gald you like it.It has got a lot of people talking in the North East and got a lot of people coaching. The simplicity of the delivery is making it sell. Proactivesoccer speaks for itself.
    I am contacting Big Soccer to see what it costs to advertise on this site.:)

Thinking ahead of the game makes you the better player

Paul:)