Direct Kick blackouts in non-MLS markets??

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by LordRobin, Apr 15, 2008.

1. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last Saturday, I was unable to watch the Dallas-RBNY or the RSL-DC matches. Nothing but a blank screen. Time-Warner was clueless. Now I've heard that another customer in the NE Ohio area on a completely different cable system (Cox) had the same issue.

So either it was some technical screw-up on inDemand's end, or they were blacking us out. Would anyone have any guess as to why? Cleveland is not an MLS market, why would we ever be blacked out for anything? My worry is that this was a blackout by accident, that it will happen again, and that I have no idea who to contact to fix it.

------RM

2. Clip

Clip Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Bayou City
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time Warner, Comcast and Cox all seem to have problems with it. Call and b!tch until they fix it and give you discounts or get satellite. You aren't being blacked out because it's a non-mls market from what I can tell. It seems to be a nationwide problem.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678153

3. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read the thread you linked. I even posted there. The problem there was people who were getting "not authorized" when they tried to tune the channels. That wasn't the case with me. I could tune all 4 channels just fine, but got a blank screen on 2 of them. Someone else on a different cable system had the exact same problem. That strongly implies that the problem was with inDemand.

I did call Time-Warner support and worked with them for at least half an hour. They had no idea what was going on. I don't think my yelling at them more is going to make them more capable.

If this keeps happening, I'll just cancel the Direct Kick subscription, but it would be nice to have some idea of what the hell is going on.

------RM

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Did you try to get the RSL-DC game after the first 15 minutes? There were issues with the broadcast originating from DC on that one that caused some DK and MLSlive subscribers to miss the beginning of the game -- we only saw a blank screen until the feed started.

6. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kept trying for well past that. I was trying both channels at the time that the Dallas-NY game should have been practically over.

I checked the links in the previous post. The only games ever blacked out in my area should be those involving Columbus. Right now, I'm guessing someone somewhere screwed up.

------RM

7. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the RBNY TV market but I had no problems watching the RSL-DC match on Time Warner/In Demand. Although I only watched a few minutes because I watched a Stanley Cup game after the Revs match.

9. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dish does not get their MLS Direct Kick feeds from indemand though. A lot of the times the feeds you get on cable are different (sometimes the away feed will be available on satellite, while only the home feed is available on cable)

it was a coincidence. I have the package on DirecTV and had no problems other than the beginning of the RSL game not being shown because they had satellite problems at the stadium.

10. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I was in Reno trying to watch the RSL game on mlstv.net and i got a blank green screen which was really annoying. Especially because the alternative was losing a lot of money at the craps table. :(

11. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Accidentally posted this in the DK Comcast thread linked from this one. Oops!

I have dish and had access to every match on DK this weekend. In fact, it was a pain in the ass because rather than just watch one match I kept flipping through them ;) The only one I couldn't get was the DC match as it was blacked out in my area, but I got that on CSN so that seemed a legit blackout.