Diego Maradona match career reports (1976-1997)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Vegan10, May 1, 2020.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    She recorded a video of what looks like of him shoving her. There was also a sexual harassment/rape accusation from a Russian reporter in 2017 I think. Doesn't look like much came of it. And he did return to Russia in 2018.

But yeah, some people will believe accusations blindly based on their experiences/bias. Intrinsically it's hard for some people to believe a woman can make a false accusation regarding rape but it does happen. Neymar's accuser is an example that turned out to be a fake accusation.

2. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    It something to do with sleeping with underaged girls .

3. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    [​IMG]

(Not sure if it violates the rules of the platform ) here's a photo that got leaked or something. Its also to do with his friendship with Castro , Escobars etc. They used to have parties with underaged girls or something like that often .

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I just said I was hoping people stepping outside the line, don't get the lynch mob going after them, which has so often happened. It's just that. The pressure to stay within the desirable brackets, and follow the others, are enormous. So if someone says 'no, I refuse to do a minute silence' I hope such person will be safe.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/27/diego-maradona-violence-women-heroes-abusers

In his playing days he (and Careca) destroyed cars of journalists whenever they got a poor review. That much is certain. As for the rest, possibly not all is true but Trachta is (again) wrong here in terms of legal ages, whether the viveza masters like it or not ("Different jurisdictions express these definitions differently, like Argentina, may say the age of consent is 18, but an exception is made down to 13 years of age, if the older partner is not in a position of authority over the younger one"). People typically don't make these strong allegations out of the blue if they know it falls within the legal boundaries.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah ... You're going to want to erase that.

6. MJWizards

MJWizards Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Can we PLEASE come back on topic and let @Vegan10 continue his amazing thread? Stop with all the extra stuff guys cmon.

Klsn and Legolas10 repped this.
  7. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    #482 Trachta10, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    The age of consent in Cuba is 16
    The age of consent in Argentina is 13, if the older partner is not in a position of authority over the younger one

There is a lot of exaggeration and hypocrisy when it comes to criticizing

Would you call Maradona a pedophile for that?
    A pedophile is someone who experiences sexual attraction to prepubescent children.

Again a lot of exaggeration

8. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    Exactly .

9. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    how? Can you tell me ?It shows no edit or delete options .

upload_2020-12-1_4-11-15.png

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Time limit for deleting is probably gone. Ask a mod to do it.

11. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    How do i do that?

12. KS10

KS10 New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Maradona was much more than scoring goals. Argentina scored 9 goals with Maradona on the field in those 9 games, 3 of which he assisted (2 via winning penalties) and 1 of which he scored, so he assisted/scored almost half of his team's goals. In my view after watching all of those games, he played well in 79 vs Netherlands, well in 79 vs Italy, well in 79 vs Brazil, completely dominant in 80 vs England (the best performance I've seen of young Maradona for Argentina), well in 81 vs West Germany, exceptional in 81 vs Brazil, well in 82 vs West Germany, fouled 23 times in 82 vs Italy, played well in 82 vs Brazil before getting himself sent-off once the game had already been lost. He consistently turned up vs the best teams at international level and at club level vs the best teams in Argentina and Spain. Any "doubts" seem ridiculous to me

carlito86 repped this.
  13. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    The European tour continued.

Friendly

26/05/1979 Italy 2-2 Argentina

Stadium: Rome, Italy

Spectators: 59,834

B2426646-95AD-4153-A035-86EDF11260B4.jpeg

Already in the previous match against the Dutch, Maradona had received international praise, like from Yugoslavian journalist Pedro Zlatar from Sportes Novosti: “I was amazed by Maradona the new Sivori (...)”

Now Diego would play in the eternal city of Rome against the home team with all their stars.

La Nación headlined: “An intense match and a just draw”

[...] “And Maradona showed that his qualities are not only shown at home. First, he had to support the marking of Oriali, whom he beat easily; thereafter Tardelli who he left in many times in disoriented positions, Maradona provided a positive work offensively. The fact that Enzo Bearzot had to change his defensive plans by putting different markers on him, when in the beginning Oriali had been beaten, speaks volumes of his work, which wasn’t brilliant but was useful”.

A0B051D7-80B9-4C9A-B887-B4EF4050FD83.jpeg
    6E3BD346-71FB-4C5A-A552-5E2E731B6911.jpeg

El Gráfico rated Diego with a good performance with the grade of a 7 and praised his work with Valencia up front and his capacity to “steer” the team.

BAE510FA-FF95-4A3F-9A99-302C4F6C8DE8.jpeg
    AA2BA379-65DC-41E2-BE0C-541164B850B4.jpeg

For Italian sources Diego had impressed. 4 sources had graded him, with Guerin Sportivo rating him with the very good mark of a 7,5 and as joint top rated man of the match with Franco Causio in the game.

Guerin Sportivo wrote:
    “In addition there is Maradona, the great absentee in the last World Cup, who is now one of the top players in the world. Maradona repeats, in the physical, what is the characteristic of the Argentine player of this generation: a solid athlete, of small stature, a juggler like few others, but of an amazing concreteness, both in the setting of the maneuver and in the personal execution (...) Maradona becomes a team man: a luxury that, in the modern game, for the general discourse on the so-called collective; for the cynicism of some defenders and the referee inefficiency, no one can be taken.” [...]

0C1E48FB-A929-4A7E-8DC2-AC3837F081E3.jpeg

Tuttosport rated him with a 7; Corriere dello Sport with a 6,5 and Corriere della sera with a 6.

2E31C0A7-507B-4187-A8AB-64FF4F998B47.jpeg
    Note:
    It must be stated that Italian sources had probably the strictest measure of rating players, with rarely ever granting a 10 or a 9. Grades between a 7-8 were regarded as top class.

Press voices.
    Franco Muetene (Gazzetta dello Sport):
    “Passarella and Maradona are super international players and with them Argentina has assured their future”

0629FA50-AFA6-44EE-A47F-6C09D2AD5FB7.jpeg

Some opinions of Italian players.

Marco Tardelli: “You are an Argentinian reporter? Well, I salute you because you have an excellent player like Maradona.” [...]

Roberto Bettega: “What a fantastic player is Maradona. Enzo Bearzot was right when he said he was a phenom and that we had to shut him down if we wanted to win.” [...]

Paolo Rossi: [...] “What player I liked? If I had to pick it would be Passarella and Maradona”

World Soccer
    76B7531D-0E67-41C1-9090-40CA6CC3CAF9.jpeg

2F9D97E5-3C27-4F02-BD34-15C86159AFD7.jpeg

Summary: drew penalty

MJWizards, msioux75 and Trachta10 repped this.
  14. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    That England game in 1980 was very special, with England’s press praising his game, which catapulted FIFA’s president, Havelange, to state that Maradona was the best in the world. More on that game in the future...

KS10 and carlito86 repped this.
  15. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020

Can you specify which nine games in particular ?? I will look back at them.

16. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    The Austrians, Soviets, Czechoslovakians and Belgian between 1980-1982 ranked in the world between number 3 to number 10 in the Elo rankings. The Soviets were virtually unbeatable in those years, never losing in 1980, having already defeated Brazil and France before facing Argentina and Maradona in December.

KS10 repped this.
  17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #492 carlito86, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Ok but it is a presumption you are making that he would do something so blatantly illegal in an era with VAR

Maradona quiet clearly did it because he knew he could get away with it(especially with the head movement to disguise the hand)
    It was a tried and tested method from his days in Italy(Lazio 84/85) and Argentina

How do you know he doesn't score another way?
    You(and others)like to talk about the pitches from the 70s and 80s
    It was a crap pitch by most accounts I've read

VAR is not something you can just cherry pick from this era and transport to the 80s
    If you do that let's also transport one of these modern pitches to the 'crap' Azteca stadium

Let's also teleport today's rules and regulations on fouls to 1986

Let's also give Maradona the modern day perks of developments in sports science,diet and training techniques

When you open that door of "what ifs"you cannot close it and have to go the WHOLE way
    Not half way

Unfortunately you are not the only one to be in denial a bit

1986 belongs to Maradona
    You have to accept it,you have to accept it was one of the very few moment's in football history where someone was universally accepted as the greatest in the history of the sport
    Eusebio 66 ,Cruyff 74,kempes 78,jairzinho 70
    These are performances in the rung below

Just look at the opta data for his KO performances
    1 gpg (4 in 4 and yes the hand of god is technically a goal)
    34 dribbles in 4 matches
    Fouled on avg 8 times per match
    And obscene amount of chances created
    It's not a real player but a PlayStation player

The player who was 'fouled' in the lead up to that 2nd goal(Hoddle?) Said Maradona would've found a way to score in that match
    Hand,foot,head,knee
    It doesn't matter
    no one was going to deny him in 86

He was on a different level playing field
    So much better than everyone else that it actually beggars belief

18. MJWizards

MJWizards Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Great! Finally! Thanks Vegan! Fantastic performance for young Diego here i see!

Vegan10 repped this.
  19. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    One of the very best maradona performances at young age.
    @PDG1978 How would you rate this performance out of 10 ?

20. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
  21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Probably 9. Everything was pretty much on point in terms of touch, movement, dribbling, use of the ball etc. There was the odd occasion he was dispossessed or made a loose pass (or one time fell over) and one or two occasions where after he carved himself an opportunity potentially he could take it and score (one of them made his mind up about how to score his second in Mexico vs England I believe), but overall most of the time he was involved it resulted in positive progression of the ball and some chances were carved out for team-mates too.

Maybe overall not clearly better or worse in terms of the individual display (a bit more vibrant and elusive even perhaps, but also perhaps strategically not quite as good as an orchestrator) as Cruyff 3 years earlier vs England too:
    1977 Away Johan Cruyff vs England - YouTube
    1977 (February 9) England 0-Holland 2 (Friendly).avi - YouTube

22. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Argentina and Maradona’s next visit was to Dublin to face Ireland. Liam Brady recently reflected about that time.

Liam Brady:
    You never saw Maradona let his teammates know they weren't good enough for him.

Brady has Maradona’s shirt:
    It’s the shirt I treasure most. And it’s certainly a rare one — a Maradona Argentina shirt without 10 on the back. It’s number 17. And it’s wrapped up and put away in the same condition it was in when he handed it to me in May, 1979.

Argentina arrived in Dublin, of course, as world champions. As an avid follower of football, I’d read all about this wonderkid who’d been tipped to make the World Cup squad the year before, at just 17.

In the end, Cesar Luis Menotti didn’t think he was ready, but when the champions toured Europe the following summer, on one of those money-spinning jaunts the South American sides take, Maradona had broken in. Though they’d played Italy a few days before and were in Hampden the following weekend to face Scotland, so Diego was on the bench in Dublin.

It was also John Giles’ last ever appearance for Ireland. I was reading through the Examiner report of the game yesterday and Billy George called it “a unique moment and a rare experience... the departure of one seasoned professional and centre stage immediately occupied by a gifted youngster”.

He also wrote that the young Maradona “gave the impression he could catch pigeons”.

That’s my memory of it too, when he came on in the second half at Lansdowne Road.

He was something we'd never seen before. You just couldn't get the ball off him. By the time I faced him later in his career, I knew not to get too close. Just drop off, wait for support, try to crowd him out. It was a case of safety in numbers because he’d dribble anybody one on one.

That night, we just about survived, getting bodies around him, and it finished scoreless. And crucially, I got closest at the final whistle and got the shirt of the best footballer I’ve ever played against.

A few days later, he scored his first goal for Argentina in a 3-1 win over the Scots and I saw former Celtic striker Frank McGarvey say he tore them to shreds. Hampden gave him a standing ovation and the world was waking up to someone who’d take centre stage in all our lives.

I consider him a huge part of mine. First, watching and admiring from afar. The following year he probably played a part in my move to Juventus. Those days, the Italian clubs could only sign one foreign player, and my name was probably fifth or sixth on a list with him close to the top. But for some reason they didn’t get him, and he eventually moved to Barcelona in ‘82. A move that never suited him, because Spanish football was particularly brutal in those days.

Then two years later he arrived in Naples, which suited him down to the ground, in one sense. A place as poor as where he’d come from in Buenos Aires, and as passionate about football.

I played against him about half a dozen times in Italy. Learning not to engage him. It was like he was made of rubber. You could knock him, but he’d half fall over and get up again and be gone.

But something struck me again yesterday as I watched that amazing highlights reel of his performances during the 1986 World Cup. As well as the brilliant goals, and the little bit of Gaelic, there are all those chances he created for others, most of them missed. But you know what you don’t see after any of those misses? Maradona throwing his hands up in the air, having a go at his teammates. Up close, that’s how I remember him too.

I see it all the time now, prima donnas who couldn’t lace Maradona’s boots, making it clear their teammates aren’t up to their standards. Never from him. His teammates loved him dearly.

He was a great bloke to play against too. Sure, he’s got the reputation in England as a cheat, and he got away with one, but I never saw him as a cheat.

He never feigned injury, never went down looking to get somebody booked or sent off. He always bounced up on his feet and he was respectful of his opponents.

I played with Gentile, Bergomi, Vierchowod — ask any of them and they’ll say he was the hardest player to mark. They kicked him and tried everything to stop him. And first thing they all did when the whistle went was ask him for his shirt.

There were times he reacted to the brutality, the tackle on Brazil’s Batista’s that earned him a red card in the 1982 World Cup. But I never classed him as a dirty player, a sneaky player. He wasn’t the kind of guy who’d put his foot over the ball.

I never knew him. We’d shake hands, that was it. He’d chirp away. Another treasure at home is a photo of me taking a penalty for Inter against Napoli at the San Siro. And he’s standing beside me, chatting, trying to put me off. But it was all in good fun.

That one went in, we got the better of him a couple of times, but never in Naples, where he was unplayable. Where he was the king.

Naples was the perfect stage and the worst. A claustrophobic life of adoration where he couldn’t set foot outside his door. He got involved with the mafia — or the Camorra — and all the chaos that entailed.

In Italy then, you could not pass a day without seeing his face, because he was never off the front pages. He could never relax so perhaps that’s what turned him to the darker side of life. What’s incredible is how he could still perform.

I played against him with Inter at White Hart Lane too in 1986, for Ozzie Ardiles’ testimonial. There was a full house to see him in a Spurs shirt.

He was generous that way. He went to Lothar Matthaus’ testimonial for Bayern Munich. He’d play charity games all over the world. If you asked him, and if he knew you and respected you, he’d turn up. And put on a show.

He was similar to George Best in that sense and it’s so poignant they died on the same date. Two geniuses who couldn't cope with the fame. But also very generous and loving people.

When people look back at George, they forget the darker side of life, and remember the joy he brought us. And it’ll be the same with Maradona. The maestro.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40089860.html?type=amp

MJWizards repped this.
  23. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Just as in Hampden Park against the Scots in 1979, Diego had received a standing ovation from the English fans for that display. The British know their football and appreciate quality when they see it.

The cathedral of world football at the mystical Wembley stadium had approved the main actor at full display. The same had occurred 3 years earlier with another icon: Johan Cruijff

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...er-1977-Total-Football-conquered-Wembley.html

Legolas10 repped this.
  24. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
  25. MJWizards

MJWizards Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Amazing stuff once again, very interesting

Vegan10 repped this.