Diego Maradona arrested in Rio

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Century's Best, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The Brazilian news sources I have read stated that Diego Maradona and 4 persons with him (one of them, his brother Jose; another, one-time soccer player Mancuso, who played in Flamengo and Palmeiras) instigated a scene of confusion and damaged some property at Rio's Tom Jobim International Airport. Apparently, Maradona was upset he missed a 7:30AM flight.

There was suspicion that Diego and others were drunk.

His arrest happened after Maradona disrespected police officers. Maradona was quite angry he missed his flight, and not even the arrival of his agents calmed him down.

Once detained by Brazilian authorities, Argentina's Consulate in Rio dispatched a representative. Later on, Diego was released.

Now, before any irrational or idiotic person from either Brazil or Argentina start a war on Big Soccer over this incident, let's remember that no one should be exempt from the laws of any state. Diego may be a soccer celebrity, but he has no right to damage airport property because he was late for a flight. In the past, Argentine flights have been held up just so he could make it. He does not have any entitlement to such preferential treatment - not in Brazil, at least.

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I found an account by Mancuso published on a Buenos Aires online paper, Clarin. This is the English version of his statement, given to Radio Mitre:

"Becoming upset was something logical and spontaneous. They closed the door on our faces, we asked for explanations, and immediately, they called the police."

“Diego was sitting down, calmly, resigned to having missed the flight and thinking of the next one. The plane was there, 2 meters away. The cops arrived, armed, and pointed their weapons. At this moment, Diego went nuts. And automatically they took us to make declarations. Now we are waiting for the next flight."

From this standpoint, it seems that Diego didn't start the fracas.

3. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    He played well last night (I saw the game on tv) with Zico in a friendly in Rio.

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    So I read. Unfortunately I could not find highlights. I would've loved to see Maradona passing and dribbling.

5. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Amazing. It's still there. :)

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    But he is trying to get some love in Brazil, he even dreams about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mazPyP18DXk&search=Joga Bonita Skills

(yeah I know you already seen it, but it fits in so nicely)

7. UEFA

UEFA Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Just for kicks, what do you think would happen to him if he went into a favela?

8. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nothing. He is a potential consumer. :D

Just kidding.