Diego De La Torre?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Apparently Mexican-born Diego Javier De La Torre Muciño, a 1984 with Toluca, has American citizenship and is interested in playing for us.

2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could Torres and Orozco have opened the flood gates??

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is Dora one of his American relatives?

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, a guy I play futsal with (who's Mexican and a HUGE Tolcua fan) made mention of a kid they had who could represent the US when we were discussing the Orozco and Torres call-ups. I didn't really think much about it because he said "kid" which I interpreted as a youth player. But I wonder if he was talking about this fellow? I'll have to ask.

BTW, it looks like De La Torre, a midfielder, has played in all 13 of Toluca's matches 6 starts, 7 off the bench and 3 goals scored. Decent sats for a midfielder. Does anyone know anything regarding his play?

6. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    Good attacking player

link?

7. mcadaal

mcadaal Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Virginia Beach, VA
    How do you know if he has American citizenship? What are your sources? Also, how do you know he wants to play for the U.S?

8. mcadaal

mcadaal Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I found it!! It says that he has already had contact with the USSF and is open to playing for the U.S., but his preference is Mexico.

"The player mentioned that as soon as possible.. pending an appeal of the Selected U.S., but if the appeal does not work out, he will continue to await an opportunity with the Tricolor."

"Yes, I have had contact with them, I have spoken have told me that I have seen in recent months after they knew that I had the possibility of dual citizenship and is something that really motivates, I'm ready, I'm ready. The dream of every footballer is to play a World Cup and if it can not be with the Mexican Selection what am I going to do the same with the selection of America, "he said.

Obviously, Google Translation is not the best... So if there is someone that is bilingual around here that could help out, that would be great.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmediotiempo.com%2Fnoticia%2F67560%2Fcon-gusto-portaria-la-playera-de-eua-de-la-torre%2F&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=es&tl=en

9. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great find! Definitely one to keep an eye on, as it sounds like he's found the back of the net a few times with Toluca. I'd be curious to find out where in the midfield he prefers to play.

10. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    This is good news. We are beginning to see a stream of Mexican-Americans who want to play for us. This is the lagged benefit of having laid the smack down on Mexico during this decade. We are viewed as a legitimate and strong alternative.

I don't think this increased progression will hurt Mexico much because they have an excess of skilled possession and combination players albeit with limited athleticism -- exactly the kind of players we need more of.

11. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    This kid isn't american and he's only doing this to put pressure on FMF to get called up.

I want to play in the World Cup, even if it's with the US

This guy is really no different than the likes of Guille Franco or Matias Vuoso. Only difference is those guys actually held Mexican passports for a while before being capped.

This is similar to David Regis.

After those comments I doubt FMF will cap him.

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Not exactly.

Franco, Zinha, Vuoso and Leandro Augusto have no Mexican ancestry, just as David Regis had no American ancestry.

But Diego De la Torre has an American grandmother.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Translated from the Medio Tiempo article linked above:

Diego de la Torre: I want to play in a World Cup, even if it’s with the U.S.

The desire of every soccer player is to participate in a World Cup. Toluca midfielder Diego de la Torre hopes to fulfill that dream, even if it’s not with Mexico, since he also has U.S. citizenship and says he’s ready to play for the Stars and Stripes.

"Yes, I have had contact with them. They spoke to me and told me that they have watched me in the last few months after they found out I had the possibility of dual citizenship. This is something really motivating. I’m ready, I’m prepared. The dream of every soccer player is to play in a World Cup, and if it’s not possible with the Mexican team then I’ll do it with the U.S. team,” he assured us.

The player of the choriceros mentioned that he’s hoping for a call from the U.S. team as soon as possible, otherwise he’ll continue waiting for an opportunity from el Tricolor.

"We’re really hoping that as soon as possible I’ll get a call from the U.S. team and have the possibility to show what I can do there. At the same time I don’t know, I hope to continue wearing the colors of Mexico, a country that I really love. But if it’s not possible in this way I also have my American papers. I also have family over there who was born in the United States, and I also love the United States very much," he added.

De la Torre has dual citizenship, because although he was born in San Luis Potosi, his paternal grandmother is American, the player said.

"I was born in San Luis Potosi, my whole family is Mexican, but on the part of my father my grandmother is American. Hence the dual nationality," he said.

The midfielder explained that the decision to opt for one of two choices, Mexican or American, is complex because his roots are involved.

"Yes it’s a bit difficult to leave your roots, your country. But in the end you have a part from there, an American part, and I would gladly wear the jersey of the American team," he said.

Regarding this case, De la Torre said the Mexican Football Federation has not approached him to discuss the issue of dual nationality.

"No, so far up to this point they haven’t spoken with me. I’ve had no contact with any of them. I hope that this will be resolved as soon as possible. Also, at the same time, I’m hoping for a call from over there as soon as possible and I can play in the team,” he said.

For his part, the coach of the Diablos, Jose Manuel de la Torre, said that it will always be a compliment that players from his team are candidates for any national team.

"It’s great that national teams are interested in my players. It’s good for everyone. If the request of another country brings opportunity, for me it’s always going to be very flattering that my players are requested for any of them," he concluded.

http://www.mediotiempo.com/noticia/67560/con-gusto-portaria-la-playera-de-eua-de-la-torre/

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the article Scotty translated for us is fairly accurate it appears that USSF, based on what De La Torre said, has been in contact with him. It doesn't sound like he sought out USSF. Of course you never know. Everything is based on he said. Nevertheless, if he is good enough it might be in the best interests of USSF to monitor his situation and his play.

15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone actually seen him play? I would be curious to know how good he is and whether or not he would make an impact on our NT.

16. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    id be interested if the FMF actually tries to pull a torres... when we call him up they'll call him up....:p

17. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    Hes a pretty good attacking player. Its hard to say how good until he actually gets some international competition under his belt. Mex doestn really need him attacking players are a dime a dozen there. However the US is lacking both frotnline and depth for attacking players.

If there was a good physical disciplined defender (aka Edgar Castillo) or Dmid that was born in the US and eligible to play for Mex they would probably take notice. Like wise if he was a Dmid hed have a hard time getting called up by the US.

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Well, according to his stats he only has 7 goals in 76 games for Toluca. They also state that he has a total of 2 "passes for goal" (pases para gol), which I'm guessing would be assists. So if that's the case it doesn't make him sound like much of an attacker.

From this info I would guess that he might play as something like a deep-lying midfielder. Perhaps someone who follows the Mexican league can tell us more about him.

19. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    IIRC, Gooch and Edu were both born here to immigrant parents, Orozco as well.

Where's their American "ancestry"?

De la Torre's grandmother is American of Mexican descent.

The only time De la Torre might've stepped on US soil was if he made any trips with Toluca for the Interliga.

Sure, he qualifies for a US passport but there's nothing "American" about the kid. He even mentioned being a sixth or seventh generation Mexican.

Good player but seems very inconsistent, fairly young. He'd be a decent player for the US.

Seems like USSF is leaving no stones unturned, now pursuing Mexican-born players.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think this is a big deal to Sunil. (Who, perhaps not coincidentally, has a Mexican wife.) I've heard he was pretty stung about the whole Castillo thing.

I think he sees "the browning of the national team," to borrow a phrase, as his legacy. And it's not a bad one, either.

There are both on-field and business reasons for this, not the least of which is that the more Mexican-Americans there are on the US, the greater the odds that Mexican-Americans and Mexicans living in the US will feel a greater connection to the US national team and American soccer as a whole and some will be more willing to support the US.

21. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    haha really?

That's pretty cool.

22. mcadaal

mcadaal Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Wow.. you know a lot about his grandmother's roots, don't you? Are you guys like neighbors or something..just curious. It's funny how you say he is inconsistent and then immediately say "he'd be a decent player for the U.S." You are a funny guy. :rolleyes:

23. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Well, you see, he's given a couple interviews lately and in the most recent one he stated he wanted to play in a world cup, even if it was with the US.

It's funny that you think it's funny that I said he was inconsistent because he is. Maybe if you watched Toluca you'd know a little more about him.

He's a good player and I'm sure he'd do well with the US but I'm not sure he's a better option that Szetella or Edu or Bradley.

btw, I do consider myself a funny person so thanks for the compliment.

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Ancestry isn't the only way to qualify. But I imagine you already knew that.

I'm just pointing out that your analogy is inaccurate. You said that De la Torre is no different than Franco and Vuoso. But they (along with Zinha and Leandro Augusto) had to go through a naturalization process to get Mexican citizenship, just as Regis had to do the same to obtain American citizenship.

De la Torre, however, was elligible from birth for American citizenship due to the fact that his grandmother is American.

Two different things.

25. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006

Of course, the same way Orozco, Castillo, and Torres are considered Mexican citizens.

I was just arguing that ancestry isn't a requirement to play for any country.

All you need is a passport.