Diego again?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Danners9, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/november/italnews4161103.html

But... there is another name in the frame, see my other thread....

2. jumhed

jumhed Member

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We haven't got a hope in hell if those other teams (barring the stoke-on-trent Dortmund), are in the frame. Except if Diego realises that Spurs are the only ones who'll guarantee him first team football.

Also, Diego would be a signing to SELL. Remember, the board stopped Hodd from signing older players like Petit and Phillips because of their age and lack of resell value. A youngster like Diego can only be expected to hang around for 2 seasons if he does exceptionally well. As long as he didn't go to Chelski or ManUre I wouldn't mind. He wouldn't go to the Arse because they're skint beggars.

As for Bircham, bring him on! He can't be any worse than Toda or Freund.

3. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Love to see us get Diego, but as I said before, it grows significantly less likely each window. If there is any sniff of interest from Real, Juventus or Inter then we simply have no chance. I still hold out hope, but the price will go up and the liklihood of success plummets. And, he'll still have a very signficant adjustment period, so I'd say he'd have to stay 3 years before being sold on. Wait and see, but there's certainly no eggs/chickens to count yet.

-Digital

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Spurs should have paid the $15 million back in August. It's rare that a team's scouting department is ahead of the curve on a future world class player. Now the giants have had time to thoroughly scout him out, and the Spurs will be priced out of the bidding.

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    The old Convey thread was expired and I didn't really think this merits its own thread, but I did want people to know that Convey's replacement at DC United is already lined up. It's the much sought-after Freddy Adu, whom Manchester United, Real Madrid, AJAX and others wanted. He's only 14, but he's already made a complete fool out of the Newcastle U-18's (when Freddy was 13). :D

http://www.dcunited.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=214669

-Digital

6. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
  7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The article with Convey says that they are anticipating him to remain on the same team as Adu. The space for Adu will be created by letting Etcheverry and possibly also Stoichkov go.

I think regardless of a player's potential 14 is a bit young to be playing professional. Even if you've got the ability the danger of burnout or injury is incredibly high. Just about every player I've seen who has started early (even at 16-17) has usually ended up paying for it after a few years in terms of injuries. So I'd be careful with this kid, hope the coach uses him right and doesn't feel pressured to keep putting him in.

8. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Here's another take:

http://www.football365.com/All_News/Breaking_News/story_90528.shtml

I agree about burnout, injury and the coaching comments sendorange. Unfortunately, our coach, Newcastle-born and former Newcastle player Ray Hudson, is a wonderful talker but a piss-poor developer of young talent. I really hope Hudson gets fired and John Ellinger (currently in charge of the US U-17 Academy that trained Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley, Bobby Convey, etc.) is appointed coach. That is a very strong rumor at this point.

But I disagree about the playing together. The immediate space for his first season will be created by trading an allocation received for Etcheverry's retirement, yes. But next summer I expect Tottenham to come back for Convey and for Convey to go to Spurs. He has already received MLS' and DC United's blessing. While I'm certain that Convey will help Freddy's transition, I do see Freddy as Convey's replacement at DC United. This has been in the works since before Convey's mooted transfer to Spurs.

As for Freddy, there are many promising young players, and he's definitely going to be a good player. But, how good depends upon how he handles this next 3 years as the handling of the intense pressure will either make him a diamond, or crush him under its own weight. IMHO, Hudson is not the man to help him during that time period, and is my only concern about it all. Freddy is a very grounded kid and has a wonderful family to help him through it, so I think he'll be fine. He's humble, thankful and confident, and it's hard to find all three in a kid that young.

-Digital

9. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Adu signed a 6 yr deal, i read.

Inter Milan have also opened negotiations with Santos.. :(

10. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    New article about Spurs (and Inter) making a swoop for Diego in January. I really hope this is true, because we definitely need the creativity in central midfield. But if Inter make any kind of legitimate offer I see no way to beat them out for Diego's signature. We can only hope that our offer is significantly better AND that his father--who has kept up the relationship with Spurs--wants it to happen. I do think Diego would see more playing time at Spurs than Inter.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=176551&cpid=8

-Digital

11. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Perhaps if Diego comes to Europe for talks then Stephane Dalmat can talk to him about how "great" Inter is and how he "loved" his time there, so much so he went on loan to PSG and then Spurs to get some action!

That'd clinch the deal for sure ;)

12. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1116881,00.html