Die Haupstadt! Hertha BSC Berlin 2005-2006 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany' started by The Old Lady Hertha, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    CooL!

2. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Another close call in the DfB cup against lesser opponents...honestly, I wish we could get Bundesliga opponents everytime, because we suck against the lower divisions.

3. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Okoronkwo started on SUnday, and was less than impressive. Lets hope he can step up his game, he's a great talent, ditto for Boateng who was also not very impressive vs. TuS Koblenz.

Javier Portillo: good scoring record, played for Real Madrid. I guess he can't be that bad.

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    He's going to Nantes.

5. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Bahh...we always miss out.

Is it official...I heard they were only in talks.

Oliver Schroeder is out as well: now Gilberto, Schroeder, Wichniarek, Fiedler are out.

Although I must say...Tremmel has been fairly impressive.

6. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    8 more days til transfer deadline and our team looks EXACTLY the same as last year. Yea, we came 1 goal away from going to CL, but still. Stuttgart, Werder, Schalke, Hamburg, all our rivals, have improved...we should go out and get a quality player, maybe not the likes of van der Vaart or Tomasson or Gronkjaer, but a good player, someone who will at least help the team.

Pantelic seems (even though I've never heard of him before we looked into him) to be a good enough player to help. Right now, a decent striker would appease me.

But it has been a disappointing transfer season to say the least. Somehow I don't tihnk we're in that deep of trouble financially as Hoeness says and maybe thinks we are. Pandiani wasn't that expensive (4.3 million euros is expensive, but if we're not going to get anyone else, it's not too bad) but Hoeness didn't think so Iguess.

7. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Hoeness extends contract til 2010...

The board has spoken...they want 5 more years of mediocrity!!! :D

8. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    We haven't improved. We have bought good players but have lost excellent ones. We are weaker than last season i think. You haven't lost a single valuable player this summer, a strong feat in itself.Its true though that its strange that the best club in one of the best cities in Europe and the world is unable to attract players.

9. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Game v. Bayern this week....:/ I'm confident I guess. We'll see the best out of Hertha IMO. Basturk is back for Hertha and Gilberto may make the bench. Zecke I think will start.

10. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    No need to talk about the Bayern game...so I'll go instead with news that Anderson Costa is about to arrive from Vasco da Gama. The fee is about 250,000 euros for 50% of his transfer rights. I guess it's a good move (right now, just about any half-decent striker would do), but he's young, and I don't think he'll be that much of a help. We are pretty pathetic scoring wise it seemed against Bayern.

11. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tell me about it. Those guys are on their way to winning the title with a double-digit margin over the second place team.

12. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Yes, it's kinda disgusting to see just how much better than the other teams are.

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's true, but even I cannot complain. Except for Ismael, I feel Bayern has finally done it the right way. Bayern, Hertha, Bremen, Stuttgart and Schalke are all doing it "the right way".

I hope Hertha will bounce back strong. Losses like this have a way of demoralizing a team for weeks.

I think it's good for them that another international week is coming up.

14. jdoppel

jdoppel Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree that Hertha needs the time off to help them right the ship. Though honestly nothing has changed. They need to add a forward or two in order to compete. Bayern is clearly the strongest Bundesliga side, and most likely it will be a one-team race tot he title, with the rest of the teams looking for european spots. I hope Hertha shell out some money in January or next summer, otherwise Marcelinho will be too old to really benefit from having a quality striker in front of him.

15. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I agree...I don't want to say we are wasting Marcelinho (if we were, we would be in relegation places IMHO), but imagine if he had someone decent like Berbatov or Tomasson to feed to. Then we would be talking.

But Hertha will be all right this year. They've had 1 amazing opponent (Bayern), a middle of the roader away from home (Hannover) and a promoted team (Frankfurt) as opposition so far, as so far, we've done about as much as I could have expected.

16. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Hertha have signed Marko Pantelic! http://www.herthabsc.de/index.php?id=12028

This will be a key signing perhaps. I think that if he may be just as important a signing as Tomasson because if he does what is expected of him (scoring goals), then Hertha have a very legitimate chance of Champions League football (maybe 2nd if lucky).

17. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Facts on Marko Pantelic:

capped 3 times by Serbia und Montenegro
    leading scorer of Serbia und Montengro league
    Former clubs are Celta Vigo, PSG, Iraklis, Yverdon, Obilic and Sartid and Red Star Belgrade.
    He is being lent

That means 3 signings for this year: Cairo, Stuhr-Elleghard and Pantelic, and Anderson Costa could still come. If Pantelic had come earlier, I would have been more happier.

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though I wish my team could sign ANYONE, I'm not impressed with this signing. I expected better from Hertha.

This isn't about putting down Hertha's signing. It's just my honest opinion.

Maybe Hoeness made a mistake in putting his eggs in the Santa Cruz basket too soon and leaving them there too long?

I hope for you guys that he proves me wrong. I would like to see Hertha do well. Except against my guys of course! LOL!! :)

19. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Looking at Pantelic, he sorta reminds me of a Berbatov type player...just someone who puts it in the net. He's not too physical, not too fast...in fact, I'm not sure what he does well.

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looking at that list of clubs, I'd say not much....... :(

21. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Lets hope he proves us all wrong. But I am excited. He's been the A1 or A2 option to Santa Cruz. But for very cheap, he's good enough. If we couldn't afford Pandiani (who "only" cost 4.33 mio euros), he was the next best option. I can't see how we do wrong here, if he fails, we'll give it back to him.

I also heard that Anderson Costa may be lent to us tomorrow, and we can buy him (if he impresses) next year for 500,000 euros. Can't go wrong with that.

While I do hate the fact that they have taken so LOOONNNGGGG to get a striker, I can't blame Hoeness here. He has taken the lowest risk possible with these loan deals, and if they do well, Hertha should be in the UEFA Cup or Champions League, and they can buy them for the long term when their financial situation is better.

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While you guys definitely need another striker or two, I think this is going to screw with team chemistry at least for a little while. Goetz is the man to make it all work. I believe that.

However, I think Hoeness should have gotten this done earlier. It was clear a long time ago that Santa Cruz wasn't coming. If I knew it, I'm sure he knew it.

His sources have to be better than my e-mail buddies.......

23. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Well, we all knew this was going to happen. Neither of the forwards have been effective so far, so I can't see how this move is wrong in any way in the short term at least. And there is still hope that Anderson Costa will come on loan as well, he would add further depth and make Hertha more dangerous (Brazilian U21 has to be good right, although we haven't had the best of luck with Brazilian strikers).

Here's our new man anyways:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. jdoppel

jdoppel Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can we do something to replace Van Burik, though? Did you see Makaays goal where he just went right around van burik. I have never like him. he is slow, not particularly good,a nd plays defense by fouling, not by skill, speed, or strength.

25. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I personally favor Madlung over him...Madlung reminds me a bit of Mertesacker, strong in the air, but he needs to read the game well.

van Burik has a lot of experience and reads the game well. Makaay is in tremendous form right now, no one can really stop him right now.