Die 05/06 Rot-Weisse Invasion VfB Stuttgart Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Vfbstuttgartfan, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    To underline how much cooler i am than all of you, i shall start off the first of the 05/06 threads!

And btw, sorry for the hassle Catfish, i know you just stickied the other one.

2. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Schedule :

Duisburg (A)
    Koeln (H)
    Bremen (A)
    Bielefeld (H) - my first game (in the stadion) of the season, as i'll still be on Holliday during the first three rounds.
    Mainz (A)
    Hamburg (H)
    Kaiserslautern (H)
    Dortmund (A)
    Gladbach (H)
    Leverkusen (A)
    Berlin (H)
    Nuernberg (A)
    Hannover (H)
    Frankfurt (A)
    Bayern (H)
    Wolfsburg (A)
    Schalke (H)

I must say i'm not too pleased about having all the big games besides Bremen and Dortmund as home games in the first round because that leaves us in a good position for another third round meltdown :(

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see a Stuttgart VfB thread. I lived there from '57 - '61. It's been a lot easier following them since the advent of the internet! :D

4. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    It's been here for awhile now, wehre have you been? ;)

Loss of Hleb...wow Stuttgart might be lucky just to reach midtable w/ loss of Lahm, Hleb, Kuranyi.

5. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Well, technically speaking, this thread has only existed for a day.

and Trappa's latest aims are Figo, Vucinic and Koller - and the latter are both better than Kuranyi in attack. For Lahm we have Hitzlsperger who, though not outstanding is definetely a solid replacement.

As for loss of Hleb, i am very saddened by it and would like to thank him for all he has done for the club(and he can thank us in reutrn for what we have done from him). It was inevitable that he would move eventually, he was simply too good. Thanks again. We will see in the coming weeks who is offered as a replacement( and i personally hope it isn't Figo) and before that i won't judge.

I am however quietly confident - i see us getting into Europe again next year and if things go well, another CL challenge could well be on the cards. I won't even be surprised if we were to finish in front of Hertha. :)

6. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

HAHA no you just didnt say that... :D

For one, I don't think you're going to get Koller, he's not moving to BVB and BVB won't let him go...Figo won't come to Stuttgart because his heart wants to go to England and Stuttgart probably can't afford his wages (although losing all those players could lessen the load). And Hitzlsperger, as he showed in Confed Cup, is no LB like Lahm. Hleb I think was Stuttgarts most important player and his loss is I think, to your club, crippling, and thats why I am pessimistic about your chances.

But I like Stuttgart don't get me wrong. Just being realistic in my world.

7. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I remain quietly confident.

I mean football is a crazy game after all, for exampe look how Hertha expected to challenge for German Champion when Huub Stevens took over. :)

8. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Very true, much like how Hertha would be nice to get mid-table when Goetz took over...hopefully Hertha won't do a Bochum this year, but there is too much quality in the squad for that.

But you are right...I would not be surprised if VfB do well, but surely right now (barring any speculations) does Stuttgart have a better squad than BVB, Schalke, Hertha, Werder or Bayer Leverkusen, the preverbial "second tier" of the Bundesliga below Bayern?

9. DanielHSV

DanielHSV New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    But Stuttgart lost its main man in midfield (Hleb), a very talented defender (Lahm) and their best striker (Kuranyi). Replacements so far? Magnin? Hitzlsperger? I don't think so. They need to spend their money soon or I think they'll have problems competing for UEFA-Cup next season.

10. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I think we are equal in talent with most of those teams besides Schalke and Werder to answer your question.

11. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I dunno..Hertha's duo of Marcelinho and Basteurk is better than any MF duo in the league, and now that you've lost Kuranyi, our strike forces are almost equal (we're still probably worse). And not to mention our D, which has the ability to lead the league again in Goals Allowed.

BVB: Koller and Ewerthon and Smolarek totally outclasses your strikers, midfield would be around the same w/ Hleb, but now he's gone, Rosicky and the youth players make them better, and a healthy Metzelder gives them a better D.

Bayer Leverkusen: Berbatov and Voronin are good and they will still have Franca so their Forwards will be good, MF and Defense are the same IMO....

Again all of these are pure speculation and don't take into account potential injuries, transfers, acts of God and Alien Invasions. :)

12. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Just picking one section of the team is purely absurd.

Hertha : We have a better goalkeeper, an equally strong defense, a less strong midfield admittedly, but a much much better strikerforce.

BVB : Gks are equal i would say, we have a better defense, and probably a better midfield though with Hlebs departure i can't confirm that, we just need to see who we buy and BVB outclass are strikers? Cacau and Streller are arguably better than Ewerthon and Smolarek and as for Koller? Well, we are now shopping for a new main striker so we can't compare with him and funnily enough, it just so happens he may become that next striker.

Leverkusen : A better goalkeeper for us by far. Defense the same? ha, come on, Leverkusen don't have one single very good defender while we have German internationals Hinkel and Hitzlsperger, Swiss international Magnin, Portuguese international Fernando Meira, hopeful-german international Babbel, Austria's best defender Martin Stranzl and ex-Croatia captain Boris Zivkovic. So how can you possible think defense is "equal"? Their midfield is admittedly better than ours but again, we still need to see who we will purchase, besides Bierofka. As for attack, we are still buying and in any case, Berbatov and Franca may both be on their way out so really, no one has any idea at the moment what the Bayer strike partnership will be next season besides that Voronin will be on it.

13. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Here are a few people who haven't come but have been rumored : Frei, Figo, Vucinic, Koller, Ewerthon to name but a few. When rumors so big have been around, you know the club isn't sitting on its ass not bothering to find good replacements.

14. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielHSV
    But Stuttgart lost its main man in midfield (Hleb), a very talented defender (Lahm) and their best striker (Kuranyi). Replacements so far? Magnin? Hitzlsperger? I don't think so. They need to spend their money soon or I think they'll have problems competing for UEFA-Cup next season.

I can only comment on the Dortmund players. Ewerthon, I think BVB would sell within the league, but you can forget Koller.

If BVB were going to sell Koller, we'd have sold him to Sunderland.

BVB are going to chance losing Koller on a free after the season hoping he will extend.

15. sting-ray

sting-ray New Member

May 16, 2005
    Bad Zw'ahn
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    we should be both without losses when werder plays Stuttgart

16. sting-ray

sting-ray New Member

May 16, 2005
    Bad Zw'ahn
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    now that many players leave Stuttgart maybe we can get Meira too:D

17. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Rebuttal #2:

Hertha: Goalkeepers played equally well, one could say that Fiedler stacks up to Hildebrand well, its just that Fiedler is older. As for your faith in Cacau and Streller, I can't see it, Hertha's MF can serve it up for the strikers, and w/out Hleb, how are you going to serve it up to them? But I have not seen Streller, I don't know how good he is, but I do think Cacau is a bum.

BVB: Better defense? Maybe, but if Metzelder comes back, I think BVB has a better D...I'd rather have healthy Metzelder>Meira, Dede>Magnin, Woerns>Babbel...what you do have is a lot of depth Defensively, a better RWB (hinkel>Brzenska or whoever BVB puts there). But Rosicky gives BVB a better MF, and I can't believe you can say Cacau is better than either Ewerthon or Smolarek, and Koller won't be leaving to VfB IMO.

Bayer: I knew this was a weak link in my defense, but I'll try anyways. I think Juan is just as good as Meira, and while Roque Junior is a bum on the international scene, he still is a good defender in the Bundesliga. If Nowotny comes back healthy, or at least 75% of what he was before his injury, Bayer has just as good as a defense. Voronin and Berbatov are an outstanding tandem, better than Cacau and Kuranyi, nevermind w/out Kuranyi and putting Streller in.

However, like you said, it depends on who you guys get...you will get someone (Kuranyi and Hleb did go w/ a heavy price).

18. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    From what I have seen of Arsenal and VfB, I think this is a pointless signing by Arsenal. I have a feeling, could be proven wrong, that both parties (Arsenal and Hleb) will regret this. he isn't the sort of player they need. Arsenal does not lack in this department, so I am puzzled by this signing.
    However, from VfB's point of view he is a very big loss, to be added to the loss of Kuranyi. Mid-table this season folks, me thinks.

19. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Our new right back is Swiss U-21 International Philipp Degen.

As far as your comments above on Cacau and the one calling him a "bum" that I edited out, I think you are dead wrong.

Maybe it's because I watched Cacau come up in Nuernberg, but Cacau only needs a trainer who can show him the way to unleash his talents. Magath strangled Cacau. Sammer did the same. Trappatoni might be the guy Cacau needs to finally break out.

Even in Dortmund, the only striker Sammer didn't stifle was Amoroso and that's because Amoroso basically didn't listen to Sammer.

I know what you will say. But Koller and Ewerthon have scored so much.

Yeah, but you should have seen what they missed too. Two seasons ago, Ewerthon should have had 25-30 goals. (He scored 16) It's just that seemingly seven times out of ten, Ewerthon can't hit an open net. You won't see that from Cacau. Give Cacau those chances and he will score 25-30 goals.

I don't think you've seen Cacau unleashed yet. Cacau is still the only striker I've ever seen just straight PUNK Lucio twice in one match.......

Cacau basically made Lucio his bitch in Leverkusen!

20. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    From what I've heard, Trap is a defensive minded coach, so Cacau might not have a break out. I haven't seen him play that much personally, as I only saw 2 VfB games all year, but he is not better than Smolarek...I think Smolarek was one of the keys to BVB's turnaround.
    But I will say that Cacau is better than anything we have at the moment, and probably better than Santa Cruz who will come at least next year.

21. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Man...Koller deserves way better than Sunderland....he is his country's leading scorer for crying out loud and is doing extremely well for his age.

ON topic, Stuttgart better do well in Europe!!!!!!!!!!!

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trap is very defensive, but he isn't totally defensive. I don't think he coaches club exactly like he coached country.

If he does, Stuttgart are in trouble.

How can you compare Smolarek to Cacau? They don't play the same position. Yes, Smolarek did play some striker, but he did most of his damage from an attacking midfield position. Smolarek is definitely not a better striker than Cacau. Smolarek is the better overall player, but Cacau is definitely the better striker.

I think you are letting numbers and most recent sightings guide your full judgement.

Cacau has a world of potential. He just needs the right situation to bring it out.

That, I agree with. However, I don't think you should be so sure you guys are getting Santa Cruz next season.

I'll have my doubts about that if he finishes the season at Bayern without having signed an extension. He'll get offers from many other clubs outside Germany. Hertha would be his best option now, not next season.

I think if you guys don't work a deal to get Santa Cruz during the winter break, you might never see him at Hertha.

Again, after the season, he's going to have SO MANY more options........

23. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I've always thought Smolarek was an out and out striker, but I guess not...remembered that in CHampionship Manager he was also left winger.

We have already agreed personal terms w/ Santa Cruz to get him next season. He will be a Herthaner, it's just a matter of time.

24. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. He played a lot of attacking midfield last season and should this coming season too as the strikers at this time will be Buckley, Koller and Ewerthon/Gambino/Odonkor. I think about the only way Smolarek plays any significant time at striker is if BVB sells Ewerthon before the start of the season.

Personal terms for next season?? That means absolutely nothing. Not only that, it would be illegal.

If Santa Cruz were definitely going to join Hertha, and he told Bayern so, Bayern would sell him to get something out of the deal. If Santa Cruz "comes around" Bayern will try to extend him. They aren't in the habit of just letting players with any worth walk for nothing. Especially to a Bundesliga opponent.

If Santa Cruz really wanted to be in Berlin now, all he had to do was tell Uli Hoeness Bayern could either sell him or lose him to Berlin next season for nothing. That didn't happen.

If you guys are to get him, I think it'll have to happen before this season starts or at the winter break. I think if enough Spanish clubs go after Santa Cruz during the winter break, the chances he winds up in Berlin are slim.

BTW, unless Hertha asked Bayern to talk to Santa Cruz specifically about next season, any "agreement" Hertha has with him is illegal and therefore void.

Actually, any "agreement" for next season, with or without permission at this point is illegal.

Santa Cruz cannot "officially" negotiate or sign with anyone other than Bayern for next season until the winter break.

25. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I think we should take this somewhere else...going a bit offtopic and we might offend our resident VfB fan :D