Did you support a English club team in the 70's or 80's?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by goonersf, Apr 30, 2007.

1. goonersf

goonersf New Member

Oct 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sense the majority of Big Soccer board users might be too young for this question, but I'm doing a little research for a fictional story I am writing. Would like to hear from people who lived in the States and yet supported a English club team in the 70's and 80's.

I remember being introduced to Arsenal and Manchester United when my older sister returned from a trip to England in 1979. However, I didn't end up becoming a proper Arsenal supporter until years later.

Things I'd be interested in here about:

What team did you support?
    How did you get introduced to your team?
    How did you follow your team in the years before the Internet and satellite/cable television?

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    tottenham hotspur

can't recall, actually. my earliest two recollections are of a spurs fa cup match on pbs back in the 70s (wolves? not sure), and an article in a magazine (world soccer, i think) on the current side. i can't remember which came first. regardless, whenever i would read or see anything about english football, tottenham was the club that always had my interest.

old magazines and, by the 90s, the london sunday times, which i would see on monday mornings. it would be disingenuous for me to imply that i followed the club (or english league football) closely prior to the late 80s/early 90s; but, as stated above, if asked who my favorite football club was, the answer - without hesitation - would've been "spurs" as early as the mid 70s.

3. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Newcastle Utd
    Jesus
    I went to the games

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    From the States?...:D

5. NYC Footy Junky

NYC Footy Junky New Member

May 2, 2007
    New York City
    I grew up in the States but moved to Manchester at age 12 in 1983. Thru family connects, we had season tickets to MUFC and so since that time, I have been a Red Devils supporter. I moved back to the US one year later and have been following footy by any means necessary. I subscribed the World Soccer watched whatever was on TV. Before moving to England, I liked Liverpool best.

6. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    No, most of the time I was in a state.

and yes I didn't read the opening post very well did I, infact I had no right to post in this thread since i wasn't born until 84 and have never lived in the US.