Did the USMNT exchange jerseys?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Femfa, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm wondering - did we exchange jerseys with the teams we played recently - Argentina and Jamaica?

Have we ever refused to exchange jerseys with a team.

Because England did:
    "Coach Frank Farina said the England players were so devastated by the shock defeat that they refused to exchange jerseys with their Socceroo victors afterwards."

So much for that match being "friendly". Anyway, I was thinking they were poor sports, but then I wondered if we've ever done that. Does anyone know?

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I dont think the Mexicans exchanged jerseys with us after we beat them in the World Cup. I remember seeing them all walking off in tears, still wearing their jerseys. After the way they manhandled some of our players, I don't know why we would want to exchange jerseys with them...

3. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn't want their tear-stained clothing anyway.

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think one mexican player did exchange jersies ... can't remember who, though.

but they were to busy slinking away with their tails between their legs.

2-0!!!! damn, that feels good to say!

5. ratfacejt

ratfacejt Member

Portland Timbers
    United States
    Sep 17, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil didn't swap jerseys when we beat them -- I don't think Argentina did either after we beat them after the RFK game.

6. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I can recall, it was Cualtemoc Blanco. But I don't think it was on the field. That's a good show of class...

7. socrne1

socrne1 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0, wasn't that a great day!!!! I wish I had a t-shirt to wear that said that.

Yes the Mexicans were poor sports and would not exchange jerseys.

8. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Come on, where is the sympathy? Imagine poor Marquez showing visitors the Cobi Jones jersey in his collection:

"And here is the jersey from the guy whose jaw I tried to bust with a headbutt after the Americans made us look silly in front of the largest television audience to ever witness a US match. Remember my bush league red card, and how we embarrassed all of Mexico that day? Isn't it a lovely jersey?"

9. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    No, no, I'm not asking about when we didn't get jerseys when other teams refused to exchange with us - I'm asking have WE ever refused a jersey exchange - I mean as a team. I know that Reyna didn't exchange with the Germans in WC, but that was because he thought that might be his last WC game, so he wanted to keep his jersey. The others traded, though.

10. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    It still is a common courtiesy to exchange jerseys. If England was so shocked and devastated with their loss vs Australia, they should have played harder.

11. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you play.

12. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    One of the pre-crash BS threads had info about this. As I recall, a few posters said that jerseys were exchanged in the tunnel off the field, but I don't recall how many or by whom.

Only have a middle-aged man's memories of secondhand accounts . . . .

13. ToolFan

ToolFan New Member

Dec 28, 2001
    NJ
    I don't think England didn't trade jersey's because of shock, I think it might of been due to the fact the most of the players in the second half were playing in their first match and wanted to keep the jersey.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wish I could give you the answer to this one as well as your other even more specific question about whether the USNT exchanged jerseys with Argentina and Jamaica, but I don't know.

Surely someone among all the posters who took the time to discuss Mexico, Brasil, England and Germany must have the answer to this thread's original question.

15. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read a report from someone at that match and yes, only Blanco would exchange a jersey. I do not know who he exchanged with. Maybe someone knows.
    I looked carefully at my tape but could never determine who he exchanged with. You can see, however, that several US players had removed their jerseys as soon as the match was over and can see some putting them back on after the failed attempt at exchange. At least it appears that way to me.

16. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw some of the U.S. players exchanging jerseys with the Jamaicans before Telemundo broke away.

Not sure about the Argentina game, though. Telemundo went right to the studio after the whistle was blown.

17. 3stripe

3stripe Member

Indy Eleven
    Oct 14, 2001
    Brickyard Battalion
    exactly. think about the germany game.

damn damn damn.

18. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    We did swap with Argie.

Borguetti was the only Mexie that day.

19. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Great! Thanks for the info - I just wanted to make sure that we were good sports in both victory and defeat. I thought we would be, because that's the spirit I've seen from the team in every game i've watched - even in tough losses like the Iran game in '98.