Did the ref make the right call

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RobertoCarlos2004, Oct 8, 2003.

1. RobertoCarlos2004

RobertoCarlos2004 New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    U.S.
    Ok guys sorry if i posted this in the wrong place im a newb still getting used to the forums. ok i play forward for my highschool team. ok i did a slide tackle on their forward since the goalie was the only object left and it was inside the box so of course he got a penalty kick. well they scored. ok i got passed the ball and drove it upfield when one of their forwards did the same to me. the ref didnt even call a penalty. when my coach came out to check on me the ref said "he was just paying him back for earlier". i mean i hate to sound biased but good god man how could he have not called that

2. jacathcart

jacathcart New Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Tacoma WA
    Roberto,

This is what we on this list call YHTBT (You Had To Be There). A slide tackle is not an automatic foul. Were you (or the other player) going primarily for the ball or the player? Did you tackle from behind? Was the tackle unnecessarily violent? did yiou take out the man after youi got the ball or did he trip over your extended legs? Were both feet down or did you have one up?

If you want opinions here on interpretations of the laws youi have to give as many facts as possible. If you want to know if a ref exercised his or her judgment and discretion properly you will rpobably just get YHTBT because we will not second guess a ref's judgment if we don't know what went on.

Jim

3. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the YHTBT. I have a huge problem with a referee saying

Sounds to me like a referee who doesn't really understand the game!

Scott

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OTOH, there was a match in the 'battling walrus" league where a referee did not show. Team A provided the referee for the first half. One player from Team A repeatedly hit players from behind after the ball had left the area. In the second half Team B provided the referee - me. One of my teammates caught this player with a hard tackle, playing the ball but getting more body than necessary. Normally a whistle, but this time I allowed play to continue. The player from Team A gets up and starts ranting about the foul. I quietly suggested that he was owed two or three more. ;)

I really didn't allow any further uncalled fouls on him (or by him) and I never heard a peep out of him the rest of the game. :)

Not quite the way I teach it in class, but ...

5. RobertoCarlos2004

Oct 8, 2003
    U.S.
    Ok ill admit i took him out from behind in a despiration attempt since it was a conference game. However it wasnt overly violent at all and i had one leg up but it was more of a dropkick posistion if your familiar with wrestling.

6. rcleopard

rcleopard New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Roberto:

I believe this is a bad ref, but not for the reason you think.

You admit you took a player out from behind, on an obvious goal scoring oppurtunity, and you want to know why he didn't get the same when he fouled you?

I want to know why the ref let you stay in the game?! A tackle from behind to remove an OGSO and the ref didn't show you red? Amazingly horrid call.

(No offense intended..)

7. RobertoCarlos2004

Oct 8, 2003
    U.S.
    No offense taken thx for not flaming 'o). well id guess the reason he didnt give me a red card was because he knew he had called the game in the other teams favor. most refs hate our school just bc its in a small place, so they are biased and call for the big name state winners. but its ok i cant play in todays game bc i have 5 yellows i need to watch it. my 4 other fouls though come from letting the refs know what i think. i kept stats for years bfore i played so i know some of what im talking about lol

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to learn that we refs don't/can't care what you think. You should take a deep breath before you say anything to the ref and review in your mind how to word your comments so as not to earn a card. Probably, by this time, the game has restarted and you have to get back into position.

A comment to the ref should be polite and/or friendly and sound something like, "I'm sorry, sir, I thought I got to the ball first." If you say something, don't repeat, don't argue, and be ready physically and mentally for the next play. The call has already been made.

Remember, the ref is doing his best. If not, assume it anyway, it makes you more effective. Smile and have fun.

9. RobertoCarlos2004

Oct 8, 2003
    U.S.
    thx for the tips. ill try to keep an open mind. but is it not fair to say that some refs can be corrupt they are not always right. i always try and say hey to the refs when they ask the captains to come out bfore the game and try and be social but they just look at me with such disgust so i figure play on. so ill take your advice.

10. rcleopard

rcleopard New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    You also need to understand that accusing referees of cheating while you have a one match ban for five yellows is not a good thing either. Again, no offense intended, but if you pulled that stunt in my game, you'd be gone very quickly. The only thing left in the air would be whether or not I want to call the takedown from behind a DOGSO or a SFP. If you were the mouth of the team (most every team has one, and yes, we refs know about them :) ) , then I'd probably tag you for a SFP. Otherwise, a DOGSO.

Just watch it out there. Tempers are a very bad thing to have on the pitch, and, at least in my class, the USSF started to make it clear that tempers are either dealt with by the player, or dealt with by us. You won't like how we deal with it :)

Again, no offense intended.. just at least in my state, the pressure is getting ratcheted up to call tighter games and make certain players don't lose their cool.

Jarrod

11. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Refs are like other authority figures: parents, teachers, policemen, bosses, Army sergeants, etc. They may not be right, consistent, fair, or uncorruptible. The secret is how you react to their authority. Do you understand how to play the game on their field? You have to read the referee or other authority figure just like you have to read the opponents, school material, customers, etc.

Think about it as part of the maturing process. As you may notice on the soccer fields, life, and these boards, some us are more mature than others. Have fun and learn to play the whole game!

12. RobertoCarlos2004

Oct 8, 2003
    U.S.
    plz dont take offense but i actually am more mature than you think. i know that refs are to be obeyed at all times and addressed properly. You respect the ref i know that you always should. i do respect the refs. but take into consideration plz that out on the field in the heat of the moment things happen. so thats why im gonna take your tips btw thx again. its just we really might have a shot at making the playoffs this year bc me and my best friend are leading the team and the new players are learning quickly. i just hate the feeling of failure. but i shouldnt feel bad when i loose. i did the best i could and had a great time. but thx for tips.

13. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another comment, good referees compare notes. If you've received 5 yellow cards, and one of the refs knows this, then you'll be watched carefully. Referees don't like to put up with trouble makers. You don't want to build that kind of reputation.

Good luck, and let us know that you don't get any cards in your next game. :cool: :)

14. rcleopard

rcleopard New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Robetrto, we're not out there to be your friend. We're out there to do a job. So are you. I've not seen you play, so I will not criticize your game, but if you have indeed gotten 4 out of 5 yellows for mouthing off to the referees, maybe you should stop?

Stop trying to play the referees. If you play us, you'll lose, everytime. Either your team will lose, or you will end up in more trouble than you care for. As long as you consider it Us vs. Them and the Referees, you will have very rough games.

Jarrod

15. RobertoCarlos2004

Oct 8, 2003
    U.S.
    ok i got it now. but im still going to have fun out there and if i feel like im going to make an ass out of myself ill ask the coach to sub me. and dont worry about seeing my game lol its not all that much compared to whats out there lol.

16. SoCalRef

SoCalRef New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    San Diego
    I'm hoping that the referees in your area aren't biased against any team. But, referees do talk to each other and many times we know who to watch on the field and the different styles of the teams in the match. It sounds like you have a history of dissent and trust me when I say the referees know this. I'm not telling you to change you're playing style or your agressiveness, just remember that you may have more of a reputation as a loud mouth instead of as a great defender. Work on that aspect of your game and you may find you have even more fun on the pitch.