Did Szetela get some bad advice?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by drace768, Jul 27, 2004.

1. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    This is the point of the whole thread. It has been totally hijacked by people condemning or feeling sympathy for Szetela. If staying in NJ was such a huge issue, why did he not enter the '05 draft where he would have much better chance of being moved to the Metros. Some people have mentioned needing the money now, but as I have said there are ways this could have been worked out, besides, it's not like the family has not taken their time with all the negotiations with EPL teams, so I don't think the family is destitute. IMO everyone (MLS, his agent(s), Adidas) was so intent on making the media splash that they did not think about the best way to get him onto the Metros. Columbus has rightly said, we want proper compensation, which is a lot harder to come up with in midseason. If Szetela had gone in the '05 draft, there would have been months to work out deals, instead of this frantic mayhem going on now. The latest is some 3-team "blockbuster deal" in the works. Everyone got so caught up in the hype, they forgot to work out the details.

2. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I remember differently. Landon certainly didn't enter into any silly-ass lottery, and the only candidates for Donovan were San Jose and the Galaxy. I think the "well, it's at least California" played a significant role here. I don't think it's comparable to the Szetela situation.

Usually this sort of thing ends up going nowhere - Chris Albright placed near his Philly home, the Crew winning the Andy Williams "coin toss" - but I think the Donovan case is one example where the league took a VERY different direction as a consequence.

3. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Unfortunately, if this website can be believed, those at the Crew negotiating table are on crack and have no concept of what "fair value" means.

http://www.huntparkinsider.com/news/072804_news.html

Guevara, Gaven AND Clark? They were surprised that Bradley laughed at that? That's not a trade proposal, that's a crank phone call.

4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If it was so important for Szetela to "stay at home" why didnt he enter the 2004 draft instead of negoiating with Everton/ManCity etc?

5. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Your probably right but has'nt the rules been updated since September of 2001. I remember the rule being one way when Spector first signed with Man Utd(early 2003) then he ran into to problems after the FIFA u-17 world cup(which is when he arrived w/ ManU-Sep. 2003 i think)becasue the rule changed.

Also if Danny was wrong why did'nt Everton's official website point that out in the story??

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the 2nd Everton offer wasn't that great. After taxes, maybe the MLS offer was competitive. Plus, there were reports that he wanted to play with the Reserves, not the Academy, and chose MLS in part because it would help with his development.

Until a player turns 17, there's a limit under British law (I think...this is according to Championship Manager ;) ) to how long a contract can be. I think it's for one year only. It's not about the money, it's about the level of commitment.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are sooo many differences between Danny and Freddy, that this analogy is more wrong than right.

1. Age.
    2. Euroleverage...MLS had Freddy over a barrel, and probably felt like there were serious PR advantages to not screwing the kid.
    3. Danny treated MLS like a fallback, Freddy less so.
    4. Freddy is an attacker, and was already famous. Danny has never, to my knowledge, been mentioned on PTI.
    5. Danny didn't go into the draft.
    6. Danny is crying about Columbus, but wanted to sign with Everton.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the Freddysaga was in full bloom, there were football people vastly more informed than the webmaster for Everton who didn't know the rules.

9. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    It's getting to the point where the kid and his agent need to shut up and play for Columbus. Even if the kid's agent causes enough trouble to get him onto the Metros, the loss of Metro players as a result of any league mandated move would likely cause a lot of locker room resentment towards the kid.
    Columbus won't deal him for anything realistic, and Bradley doesn't feel like playing the prison bitch the the Village People. The best thing for all involved is to cut off all talks and get on with the business of soccer.

10. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never seen this kid play (to my knowledge) so I have to ask is he really that good? Or does he really show that much potential?

Now to give my opinion on this situation I think it is 100% fair what happend to him, like so many people have mentioned he could've just went inot the 04 or 05 draft and had a better chance at the Metros. This whole situation might have ruined the kid's self-esteem because he probably thought that he was good enough to make high power demands but then realized he wasn't, he also probably though MLS viewed him the same as Freddy and when they treated like a normal player he might think less of himself.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read the article and it HAS TO BE a crock of crap. I say that only because no person of reasonable intelligence and sanity would be able to formulate their lips in a manner that could allow for the sounds of "Danny for Guevara, Gaven and Clark", without exploding in laughter before they could finish the request. Hell, even the New York Rangers and New York Mets GM's wouldn't make that trade!! (I'm a born and bred NY'er and fan of those teams, in case you were wondering)

12. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Who're you kidding. The Rangers would do that deal in a heartbeat (if Szetela had a bad knee, was prone to concussions and was about 30 years older :))

As to the website, Crew fans said it was about as reliable as they come when it comes to inside info on the Crew, but DanR at Metrofanatic said that as far as he knew, Magee was never put on the table, so take it for what it's worth.

13. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    I haven't read all this thread.

However, it's obvious depsite the pros and cons of MLS versus what Szetela wants MLs has butchered the situation given what they have done with Adu, Bradley, etc..

How's that? Didn't the kid & his mother go through six agents, foul up Everton, etc etc.

Hey look if your going to deal with kids with difficult situations you handle them. Irrespective of whether the family knows what it's doing. Clearly losing a father, a sister in a car crash, and having an ill mother, and a couple of younger siblings looking up to you for support is not normal, emotionally or otherwise.

If your going to sign teenagers, particularly ones with hardship situations then set it up so they get want they need. No "We're sure you can get to NJ, but maybe there's a small chance you won't."

I'm sorry "You gotta be a pro" doesn't hack it in situations like this.

In particular this drag out with Columbus unrealistic trades versus Metros is from a future family of young star x,y,z view an indication that the league is not to be trusted. That's a pure sham. It would indicates to me if I were Szetela anyway, that MLS had no intention of letting it happen.

MLS is not going to "win" in this situation forcing the kid where he just does not want to go. Wait tell he or his mom gets some phone calls from future prospects.

The risk of future problems is just not warranted. Doing it a year fom now if he should mentally go down hill will be even worse from a PR standpoint..

14. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    WOW! WHat a mess this is becoming!! Poor kid and I gotta feel for MLS too. This just sucks!! Hope everyone can work it out!!

15. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. Father Ted, Szetela couldn't enter the draft last January b/c he hadn't signed a contract with MLS. Underage players need to sign up as P-40's (ie: sign a binding agreement with MLS). Otherwise they aren't draftable. That is why MLS sometimes has a subsequent draft a month later--b/c a player wants to sign, can't pass his physical so no contract and isn't eligible to be drafted. Than passes the physical (or whatever).

2. Like it or not, there's a different standard for players who aren't adults. If you're 17 (and definitely if you're younger) you need a support system. Sympathize with Szetela, don't sympathasize with him and his situation. But don't expect him to be professional, mature, wise and worldly. He's not. And that's why MLS has tried to be picky about who goes P-40 and it's important not to be cavalier about signing young players. They truly do need to go to the team and place with the best support system for that player (on and off the field). That isn't necessarily Metro (and it isn't necessarily Columbus for that matter).

Just that--if you are a college grad, you're legally an adult and we (and MLS) hold you accountable for what you say and do and you're expected to be a professional in your conduct. But to argue otherwise for a 16 or 17 year old is unrealistic. Doesn't mean they get a free pass. It's just an illustration of the challenge of signing underage youth as professionals.

16. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Before everyone gets too excited, it's just possible (reading between the lines) that the source of this information is Szetela's agent. And he would tend to have a certain stake in the matter.

Besides which, the article doesn't even imply that it was a straight-up trade proposal of Szetela for the three Metros.

17. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I don't get where you think that the source is the agent. There is nothing in or between the lines to point in that direction. In fact, based on the site and where that site is likely to have contacts, it's more likely that the source is within the Crew. Agreed that it's a bit early to get excited about it. Crew fans have said this site is one of the most reliable rumor sites about the Crew, but DanR, THE source for inside news on the Metros has said that as far as he knows, Magee was never put on the table.

18. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Never said that it did, but can anyone honestly look at the Columbus roster and find ANY package of players that would be worth Guevara, Gaven and Clark? Columbus just doesn't have the players.

19. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    A lot of "insider" sites (including USsoccerUK) depend heavilly on agent sources for articles when team management goes into "double-secret" mode. It's a fact.

In this case it could be Szetela's agent (read the last paragraph again), and in that case his bias would be against the Crew.

Yeah Columbus could come up with three players worthy of Guevara, Clark, and Gaven. Heyduk, Buddle, Martina, Szetela, Marshall are a few guys that jump to mind. Gaven's going to be a great player. Maybe not everyone thinks as highly of the other two as you.

20. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    And huntparkinsider seems to agree

"The league is beginning to fear stronger tactics, that could not only hurt the Crew but the whole league, by Szetela and his agent as that becomes apparent from the agents tone in current discussions."

MLS should get this settled ASAP

21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has not exactly covered themselves with glory

Mom thought her kid was Pele and thought she could play Chelski and ManU against each other for BIG BIG money.

When neither would bite she was left holding no cards at all. An amateurish, stupid, ego-driven melange of errors.

I don't know what "MLS" told them. Neitehr do you.

HOWEVER, since I have yet to hear the kid or his agent say they were "misled" or "lied to" or any such, one is left to conclude that these preconceptions they seemed to have were generated elsewhere.

Frankly, ISTM the agent is most likely. He elbowed out six other guys based, probably, on all his throw-weight with MLS. He may have over stated his clout by a good bit.

I completely disagree. Again, you don't know what this kid was promised or who promised it. You are assuming that MLS reneged on an agreement.

That may be, but I have not heard Szetela say this. Have you?

Somebody really needs to tell me why Columbus, if they really want the kid, should give him up for less than what they want.

Maybe they think very highly of him and really want to keep him. In a case like that, you have to knock a team over with an offer.

Let's reverse the case: instead of criticizing Columbus for asking too much, let's criticize Metros for offering too little.

The assumption seems to be that Columbus should just be "reasonable" in order to "help this poor kid out"

In other words, Columbus should make a sacrifice for the sake of Danny Szetela. Why doesn't Bob Bradley make a sacrifice for the guy by paying too much rahter than wondering why Columbus won't just accept too little?

It isn't incumbent upon Columbus to do things which it feels are not in the best interests of the Crew. If MLS doesn't like this, then that's too damned bad.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill, welcome to the club.

You should go over to the Burn forum and peruse some of the posts that fans of other teams wrote when we had the temerity to suggest that the compensation that the Burn got for making the Freddy-to-DC thing happen was not entirely all that it should have been.

Since the Freddy-to-DC thing was arranged at the league level, the Burn should've gotten more from DC than just an allocation, and the Crew should not accept anything less than what they feel is fair market value.

23. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    the crying never stops

24. BWogs

BWogs New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Kansas City
    It is also possible that the Metrostars just do not rate Szetela that highly and do not think it is worth giving a lot up for him. Just as you are right in saying it would be unfair to force Columbus to get less than what they think is fair value for him, same thing can be said for forcing the Metrostars to give up too much for him.

25. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    I think MLS should send Szetella to Europe as a scout. Lets be done with it!! How about we put him on a grill and roast him and throw a side of saurkraut next to him. I am sure he wouldnt taste half bad!! :) Couple of Michelob Ultras and its mighty fine eatin! :)