Did MLS drop the ball by eliminating/postponing the Montreal Expansion Bid?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by 4mybroRRT, Feb 18, 2009.

1. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except they have said for a month or so now that they would make an announcment in mid march.

2. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Whoops wrong button didn't mean to delete last post. (will repost below).

We'll see what MLS decides to expand to rather it be Vancouver/Portland or Portland/st Louis or Vancouver/st Louis in a few weeks.

One would think if St Louis won a bid to get a team that MLS would have announced it by now.

3. inthemix

inthemix New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    The MLS waited this long to give Portland a chance to run this through their City Council. They were given a March 15 deadline as the intent was to announce the winners before the season opener March 19

4. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    I can imagine the following:

Saputo wanted to shortchange the bid until George Gillett could unload his Liverpool shares. Without that, MLS thought Saputo couldn't even deliver on promises to upgrade Stade Saputo...

...meanwhile...

...St. Louis shortchanges their bid, but they DO earmark funds to a mostly FUNDED project. It's a bias toward public components to financing that conceivably boots Montreal and not St. Louis.

That vaults St. Louis over Montreal. Does that vault them over Portland and Vancouver? Two weeks away, anyone?

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would someone just please admit that they don't really know, that they haven't seen the bids, that they're going on face value of readily-available, incomplete information, and allowing their own biases to color their views?

I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

6. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Who knows what MLS will decide which next two cities the league will expand to. It seems that they are waiting on Portland to see if they pass the soccer plan or not before making the announcement.

If St Louis had more investor backing their bid that probably could give them a better shot at getting a team.

7. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Yeah...I am getting moist too...:D

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yiaitmaiwtstyn.

9. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    I'm not generally too keen on text/net shorthand, but not being afraid of tangents, it's interesting to note that my 16-year-old stepson (really ex-stepson due to divorce, but there's still a decent relationship) HATES it. Sounds unnatural, no? It's certainly unnatural and disconcerting to me. The kid is supposed to dive right into crap like that, no?

Even worse that google didn't reveal squat.

Just saying.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Bigsoccer reduced what was an all-caps, unpronounceable pseudo-acronym into the Farsi/Polish-looking concoction you see above.

It meant Your Ideas Are Intriguing To Me And I Want To Subscribe To Your Newsletter.

11. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Call me crazy, but it seems easier to type out the whole phrase.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To be honest, I really have no idea what the MLS Board of Governors is going to decide. Based on past history, the scraps of publicly available information, and my own personal biases I think that the coming announcement will consist of at most two teams from the four publicly recognized bidders.

YMMV

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Which I did back in post 296

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I was just bored with doing it that way.

Call me crazy, but it seems easier to type out the whole phrase.

15. TFCBlue

TFCBlue Member

Feb 7, 2007
    KW, Sec 223
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It seems as though the Ottawa stadium situation is going to cost Melnyk an MLS Franchise. It appears that Saputo and Gillette's reluctance to shell out $40M has cost Montreal a franchise this time around too.

Maybe someone could introduce Melnyk to Saputo? Stadium is already built, a team already in place, and Montreal is going to be a better fanbase for an MLS team. Melnyk would get his team, Saputo and the MLS the money they need, and they'd likely all have a better chance of making money. Even Ottawa fans could make the 2 hour drive if they're interested. Team could likely even start in 2010 with an increased capacity at the stadium.

It would be a bit weird having the owners of the Habs and Senators join forces though wouldn't it?

16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But Saputo and Gillette don't need Melnyk's money. They have their own...they have just valued the MLS model (versus the USL model) and, in their estimation, it is not worth $40 million US plus stadium reno's expansion.

Similarly, Melnyk's interest is not simply to "get an MLS team" it is to "get an MLS team for Ottawa"....so teaming up with Montreal does not solve his issue either.