Did He or Didn't He?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Vermont Red, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As suggested, a new thread in which to debate the most controversial issue of our time. No, not global warming. No, not O'Shea v Given. Not even how it could possibly be assumed that Roma doesn't also cheat. This is to debate the Ronaldo incident over the weekend.

Please vote and explain your choice.

2. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    stop trying to justify this cheating with deabte.
    there is no question, just as there was no contact.

the end.

3. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an example of simple-minded posting that annoys all the solid regulars. How is a debate a justification? Is this poster a sore loser? He obviously hasn't read the numerous other posts on this subject.

Hey ONE, how about you live up to your name and make this your last post in this forum. The end.

4. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its no secret Ronald is a diver. He does it all the time. Last year when he was crap, how many posts were here complaining about how he was always on the ground after minimal contact, arms up, and waiting for a call?

Great player this season, no question, but doesnt change the core of Ronald.

Hate me for this post, I could care less.

But you only need to look at WC 2006 and his antics with Rooney to know whats up.

SAF seems to be a man of integrity. I would hope he'd discipline him about this type of play and eliminate it. And it really doesnt make him look good when he goes on the record to complain about other divers in the league when he has one right here at home. United doesnt need this shit.

5. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its hard to say....if we had a shot from the side it'd be much easier...

At his pace its easy to trip him up....

6. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    its funny because you say in your intro that this isnt about global warming, and yet your behaviour and tactics mimic that of the anti-GWarming contingency to a t.
    presented with irrefutable evidence (in this case video replay), instead of admitting defeat you will bray on about the "debate" of the "facts", and generally just try to muddy the waters enough to confuse people so they dont really know whats true and what isnt.
    ronaldo dove. thats it! there isnt any more to it.
    so perhaps you should do us the favor of not clogging up the boards with nonsense threads such as this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO8TJaM1w1Y

7. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm somewhat happy he did it, as we needed a goal and, just before halftime, it probably changed the landscape of our halftime adjustments. But it was a blatant dive. He went down with so little contact that would not normally bring a player down. I watched the game twice, and paid attention to the replays.

And, no, I'm not a hater; I love Ronaldo, even to the point of mild fangirl-dom . But he did dive.

8. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    kekekekekek! :D

That's one hell of a club he supports.

9. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Diving is cheating. Im not sure why anyone would admit this.

10. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would prefer I didn't admit it?

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give this thread two hours before the Fist of Death forces me to close it.

12. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Definitely a dive with minimal contact. The weird thing is Malbranque and Lee didn't really protest it like mad men so there must me a little bit of contact.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    come now, he was accelerating quickly between two players with almost no space between them and got bumped a bit, what was he going to do? Defy the Laws of physics and stay upright?

14. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Uhm no..but I certainly dont understand posters who seem to be open about being ok with goals like this.

Diving to me is completely dispicable. Pond scum. Flotsam and jetsum.

15. barthez4

barthez4 Member

Apr 1, 2005
    To me, from watching the replays tons of times, it looked like the defender got his foot in and there was minimal contact on Ronaldo's toes, which sounds like nothing but when you're just finished planting that foot, it does a lot. I chose "minimal contact, no dive", but I think that once he was going down he THEN tried to make the most out of it. I think he was going down due to the contact, and once he knew he was going down he tried to make it look the most penalty-callable.

It should be noted that at that speed and after a sudden burst of acceleration, even if the challenge didn't touch him, the placement of the defender's foot could easily have messed up Ronaldo's running motion, and again, once he knew he was going down, he made the most of it. We have to remember that it is possible for the situation to be "no contact, no dive".

16. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does you mom know you're using her computer? Seriously, what are you on about. What is my opinion on the incident? Have you read any of my posts about it? Are you able to comprehend what you read?

You think that Ronaldo dove, at least that is what I gather from your two posts saying the exact same thing. Opinion noted. You're not in favor of clogging up the boards with nonsense. Stop posting and the problem will be solved. You are confused by a piss take about global warming. Maybe when you reach high school your sense of humor will be more fully developed.

17. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you. I'm a little less hostile to diving than you seem to be (I think it's somewhere between gamesmanship and outright cheating -- neither one nor the other, but definitely closer to cheating); however, I'm not cool with it. I would prefer footballers didn't dive so frequently, but the fact is, he dived and it helped us. I can be outraged about it (I did refuse to give him my MOTM vote because he dived), but the goal still probably played a significant role in our winning. I'm just trying to be realistic about it. I see your POV though.

18. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. I was pretty sure from everything I saw that he was tripped up.

19. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *waits for responding post from dumbass*

20. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ignore him, he just might go away, VR. ;)

21. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    I don't think there was any contact and from replays it looked as if Ronaldo started falling the moment he saw the foot in front of him.

If you look at the video - from first 2 replay angles you can actually see no contact. First angle (from behind the goal, at 12 seconds) shows that there was no contact with his left leg (he lifted it over the leg of the defender), and the second angle (18 seconds into the video) shows that his right leg wasn't touched.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    haven't any of you accelarated at high speed on tip toes before? Which is essentially what Ronaldo was doing? At his pace, there wasn't anyway he even saw that foot infront of him, and in any case a good gust of wind can throw you off balance in that case, let alone a slight bump. I don't know if I would have called it, but he hardly dived. You can't blame Ronaldo for this one.

23. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    ooh! and you MUST be well educated! your avatar tells me so..
    mine reads sigilium universitatis vermontredsapompusassae.

i dont give a flippidy dip what your view on the dive is. the fact remains that by presenting ronaldo's flop in the context of honest debate, you're making the truth of the matter harder to discern for everyone.
    and if you really cant tell why it was i brought up the global warming issue....well...thats your heavy cross of ignorance to bear.

24. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    I voted for minimal contact, no dive

i) Don't see why you would full on dive in that situation, he could have scored I think

ii) He was going fast & I think there was slight contact. The replays are not clear despite what some claim:rolleyes:

iii) Intent.