Did Ballouchy get his Green Card?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Sandon Mibut, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I was looking at something on the RSL roster page and happened to notice that Medhi Ballouchy is no longer listed as a youth international.

http://real.saltlake.mlsnet.com/MLS/players/roster.jsp?club=rsl

Has he gotten a Green Card making him a permanent resident of the US? That would be great for him, RSL - frees up an international spot - and potentially the US.

It would still be tight to get sworn in as a citizen less than four years after getting a Green Card, so the 2010 WC is still a long shot, but his chances are MUCH better with the Green Card than without it.

2. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been here since he was 16, right? It will be interesting to see what happens. If I were the US Soccer Committee I would be putting a little pressure on him to become a citizen.

3. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    I recall a few months ago the press reported that Ballouchy had left practice early for some "Green Card" business.

4. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Forko is another guy that I am curious about. He seems to have some talent and he's been in the US since he was 3. Does any one know if he is a US citizen?

5. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    I don't know the answer to your question but I assume that if he wasn't a US citizen his MLS status would be "Youth International" -- which it isn't.

I would be hard pressed to believe that someone who went to Kindergarten, Elementary School, Jr. High, High school and College in the US hasn't acquired his citizenship.

However, this blog affirms that he "has never become a US citizen."

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...you might want to check who the author of that blog is before you put too much stock in it. ;)

7. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Just as I expected. Blowing smoke, talking about things you know nothing about...

Consider the preceeding link null and void...

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    There's a difference between having a Green Card - ie Permanent Resident - and being a citizen. Getting a Green Card takes less time than citizneship and is usually a key step towards citizenship.

Having a Green Card treats you to all the employment rights as US citizens - basically you can do everything but vote - and in MLS, players who have Green Cards don't count as internationals. (MLS did that the first couple years till they realized they were violating federal law by doing so.)

So, not being listed as an international is not proof of citizenship.

You'd think. However, Ramon Nunez of Dallas has lived in the US since he was four and he doesn't even have a Green Card, which is why he is A) listed as a Youth International and B) ineligible to play for the US.

Back to Ballouchy, no one knows if he got his Green Card?

9. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    So from this I guess we could assume that Forko at least has his Green Card...

The weird thing is that under "MLS Status" for Ballouchy, it doesn't say anything about being an International. Should we assume then that Ballouchy has his Green Card?

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy Williams has a green card, thus is considered "domestic" and is not a Senior Int'l. However, he is/was a member of the Jamaican Nats.

11. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And was born in Canada to boot.