Did anybody catch Sky Sports tonite?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by bware, Jul 26, 2002.

1. bware

bware New Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I couldn't believe that DC United was the lead story...well Gazza was the lead story, but close enough. I can't think of more than a couple of times that I've actually seen interview coverage on local television in front of a wall with DC United and MLS logos, but it was on British TV.

And, they had some video...just casual dribbling, but Gazza looked fit. I'm anxious to read Dyson's report.

2. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Sky Sports News is on FSW in about 5 minutes (10 pm eastern). I'm gonna check it out! Hopefully there will be a story about Gazza at DC United!

3. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Um, okay, it's not on at ten, there's A-league soccer in overtime....

maybe it'll be on at 10:30....

4. GreatQuality

GreatQuality New Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Club:
    Sheffield United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you miss Sky Sports News on FSW at 7:00 pm EST or 10 pm EST you can stay up late and watch the 1:00 am replay or get up early and catch the 7:00 am replay. They did show Gazza and Ray Hudson speaking to the media at the news conference and a brief snippet of practice. Gazza said he enjoyed practice and playing football with the guys.

Cheers, GQ :)

5. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If we sign Gazza, you can bet DCU will be constantly on Sky Sports News, and will be featured in nearly every game shown on Channel 5 in the UK. Far more than Oldthar and any of the other 'hasbeens' MLS has brought in, Gazza will raise the image of MLS abroad (and not just in England). DCU issues aside, this would be a great thing for MLS (and if Gazza pulls a few of his old off-field escapades ... well that might just be even better ;)).

I'm on vacation in Scotland at the moment, and even there (he played in Glasgow for 2-3 years) DCU and Gazza are in the papers every day at the moment.

6. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Doesn't Channel 5 just show the ESPN/ESPN2 Saturday game?

7. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it really, and permanently, raise awareness of DCU and MLS, or would it only last for his first couple of games?

8. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If so, I can see that changing next year.

9. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way our season is going, I'm not so sure that either would be a good thing :(

10. mick12

mick12 New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    Newcastle
    of course gazza is gonna raise your profile, which will probly bring a few extra quid. The MLS isnt big at all in england but im sure there'll be a few DC united games on TV now, that is if you sign Gazza. Im sure he can still do a good job in the MLS and the fact he is taking a huge paycut to sign has to suggest he is commited.

11. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Shows what an icon Gazza is. A lot of times this transcends his footballing status. I mean, he has had some great moments as a footballer, but many who have been better, more consistent players in UK, don't get nearly the media attention Gazza gets because of his personality.

He was interviewed at length on the Jeremey Schaap national radio show Saturday as well, and sounded quite reasonable.

There were a number of times Saturday when a certain attacking mid received the ball in a dangerous area, that I quickly found myself wishing it had been Gazza there instead.

12. Cruyff14

Cruyff14 New Member

Aug 29, 2000
    Gersman I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!