Diceson's Practice Notes 9-03

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DigitalTron, Sep 3, 2002.

1. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    http://unitedmania.mlsfansites.com/...86&PHPSESSID=e114f63f7cdc80db19b18d821d5d6908

When Diceson asked about how Richie Williams performed Saturday Hudson answered:

That is about as damning with feint praise as he's done all year. That's worse than his comments about Mark Lisi. From the sounds of it, Hudson is planning to unload Richie and his salary ahead of next season.

-Tron

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Yeah [R] whatever if you really hadn't heard yet....

It probably didn't help when Donvoan blew down the middle of our defense for his second and go ahead goal.

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Great stuff Diceson!

Thanks!

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Re: Yeah [R] whatever if you really hadn't heard yet....

I find it odd that folks blame Pope for Donovan's goals without thinking that LD was wide open and dribbling at Eddie. Really I don't think there's a defender in the world who can regularly stop Donovan by himself when LD's open in the middle of the park with a head of steam.

Still Wee One did what he could in the game though DT I think you're right that he'll probably be gone before next season even though we won't get anything for him.

For this year though, I would put iMac at d-mid against the Revs as they are not at all dangerous down the middle- TT gets his service from the side- and against the metros I'd put Williams there and tell him to lay back waiting for the counterattack that will surely come.

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Tron I think Ray has been pretty much signalling that all year. He has made no secret of liking a bigger, two-way guy (Bishop) in that spot. I think he has basically tried to get that kind of play by putting Ivan up with Williams in combo (he also tried pulling Marco back, but that didn't work out) to get a little more of that. I am pretty sure that is real high on his shopping list.

I think we have to get a bit more physical in the midfield myself. While Convey and Olsen are dynamic and fast and they play hard, they are not big. Etch and Williams also don't bring much physical presence, not that Richie doesn't play "bigger" than his size, but he can't really control spaces the way some other mids around the league can.

I also think the lack of attitude Ray refers to is right on. We don't have that guy who oozes confidence, who takes charge in the nitty gritty, when the game is on the line. We are indecisive around the box, we lack the fabled "killer instinct", when we get on teams we let up, we don't put our foot on the throat. We need what might be called in the American venacular a "gamer".

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    The Moreno comments seem to me to say the jury is very much still out on him playing with United next year.

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Skip I wasn't blaming Pope at all for either goal. Noone should be expected to stop Donovan 1 v. 1 most of the time much less every time. I don't remember the play that well, so I won't comment too much of it, but to say this generally, the forwards won't score if they can't be fed the ball.

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Naw, I wasn't thinking of you. I think the last place I saw the reference was on Cybersoccernews and the game report there. (Where was Steve Long?) Makes me understand Bruce Arena when he comments on reporters....

9. Steve Long

Steve Long Member

Nov 22, 1999
    springfield Va
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skip,

I was sitting next to Chris in the box while he wrote the article. When Dave bailed for job related reasons, I had to carry the whole United load, usually done by a pair of correspondents. Chris is doing a lot of it now, although I still edit the MLS East (except Chicago) for Cybersoccernews. I'll be back to say something next week. Right now I'm buried in player registrations for WISL.

Steve Long
    Steve@cybersoccernews.com

10. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    People will disagree but the LD balls were scored from long midfield runs with corresponding passes into the seams. Closingd down those seems is the job of the defense not the D-Mid. There is no way the D-Mid can shut those alleys dows his job is distrubt the building up of play and the flow of the other team. The defense needs to step up and close those holes down there is to much field, no matter how fast you are, for a non-man marking D-Mid to close cover that space.

11. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    Re: Re: Diceson's Practice Notes 9-03

Ryan Nelsen is turning into a player like this. Naturally, I know you mean an attacker.

As for Donovan's goals...I think they were equally the fault of our defense as a group and our midfield as a group. Usually the two are more in tune with each other, and we don't allow those chances.

I agree that Hudson's quotes are very open as far as the futures of Moreno and Williams here. Moreno has to keep the level of play he had against SJ, and he needs to get a goal. Richie may be in an even more desperate situation. Has anyone thought that perhaps Hudson wants to package the two of them for a top-notch defensive midfielder, and then try to scrounge around for a striker?

12. Wheezy

Wheezy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    NoVa
    Re: Re: Re: Diceson's Practice Notes 9-03

Actually, I was just pondering the idea of RN at mid. I think the majority of his non-DCU experience is at mid. and he IS the team leading scorer. He'd certainly dominate midfield in the air and it would allow him to push forward even more (and shoot!).

A thought for Ray...

13. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Diceson's Practice Notes 9-03

Nelsen actually has played very little at midfield (according to quote from him in another article http://www.onthesidelines.blogspot.com/. He likes to play defense and he is good at it. DC United should continue to utilize him at his best position, which is central defense. :)

Quote:

“I hadn’t really played much as a defensive midfielder before,” said Nelsen, “and I had some problems with it. I’m used to playing in the center of defense, which is where I play for New Zealand. When Thomas decided to move me back, my confidence came back because I knew I was in the position that best suited me.”

14. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Diceson's Practice Notes 9-03

Thank you Revelation - I am convinced people have very short memories. We tried RN at d-mid last year and he was horrible. He is simply too slow to play this position and play it well. Leave him in the middle of the defense where he can use his height and size to dominate the box and his speed is not a problem (at least not very often)

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    While I'm not suggesting putting Nelsen at D-Mid, I do think he has gotten faster this year and that has helped him a lot.

16. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I really don't see that Nellie's speed makes him a less desirable option than Williams, as I'm sure he can outrun Richie. I think it's more a question of his comfort level with the position that makes him more suited to central defense.

17. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Dmid -- one of the most important and most difficult positions on the pitch

IMHO, Richie reads the game as well as anyone in MLS, and that includes Chris Armas. He can see a dangerous play developing before the opposing team's attacking midfielders do, so he is almost never out of position. Just being in someone's face is often the difference between stopping a scoring opportunity from developing and being down a goal.

Ryan is the better tackler and is much better as a target in the box or dribbling through midfield, but Ryan hasn't developed the reading-the-game sense yet. It's very very uncommon for a young player (in terms of professional experience rather than chronological age) to have this ability. It takes experience at a high level in addition to good eyes and a good mind to develop this skill. Ryan appears to be developing it, but he's still several years away from exelling in this area.

Neither has great speed, but because it often takes longer for Ryan to recognize the danger and get into position, he sometimes doesn't have the speed to get there in time. This is why Ryan does a decent job as Dmid, but isn't nearly as effective as Richie with it. Eventually Ryan will probably build this skill and move into the Dmid position.

Show me a good Dmid under 25 and I'll show you smoke-and-mirrors. Show me a good Dmid with less than 3 years of professional experience and I'll show you an over-hyped player. It requires time. Ryan hasn't had enough of it yet to become a good Dmid. That's also why most Dmids either sit on the bench and get minutes in garbage time, or are promoted from the back line or moved back from attacking midfielder/forward.

-Tron