Diamonds in the Rough... or Worms Under a Rock? The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Val1, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might get relegated again! That's a freaking joke for a club with Newcastle's resources.

2. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am of Indian decent. As an American I obviously follow the MLS (well... maybe not obviously) but in 2010 I saw that an Indian national team player signed for Kansas City Wizards (now Sporting Kansas City) and it was Sunil Chhetri. So obviously I was interested because I also thought soccer there was invisible and I started to grow into it but mainly because of wikipedia.

Obviously the first place to go for info most of the time is wikipedia and I went there and I saw the horrible conditions of the Indian footy articles. So I decided to do some editing and to this day I am still doing it and with that I follow the sport in India all the time. From the main league to the youth and state leagues, I follow them. Sadly since I started following the game there nothing has improved. I really hate the fact they still do promotion/relegation (reason for the many teams in 2 states) and the small crowds. But ya, its fun. India may host the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2017 so that could make something happen.

Cevno and charlie15 repped this.
  3. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

I am actually still laughing at how everyone thought Cisse was going to destroy the Premier League and now look at him. What does he have, 5 or 6 goals?

4. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    despite anyone's opinion of their signings, so far this season they've only lost 1 player to a bigger club and added quite a few young yet experienced players. even haidara has been playing ligue 1 regularly this season. it might not work for them, what with so many new players, but it's more likely it will and they'll end up safe mid-table and go into next season with the basis of a decent squad.

5. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would've said that at the end of last season, too, yeah?

I guess 'the basis of a decent squad' finds you in danger of relegation with 15 games to go.

6. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i might have, with some reservations that they were probably performing much better last season than they really should have been.
    my post above is relative to to the current hole they've been slowly sliding into.
    what i mean is that even if their winter signings turn out to be a mix of good and ok, they've still added numbers/choices to their squad and only lost ba while doing so.
    if pardew can find a combination that clicks they'll be ok. maybe they'll fall apart, but i wouldn't think so. maybe some of these new players will look great and be poached by someone else in the summer, with newcastle taking the profit. who knows?

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would take sissoko at arsenal from the little I have seen. Seems strong and powerful for his size with a good burst of pace. Not afraid to tackle...maybe wenger couldve made him into a good ball winner?

8. ambro

ambro Member

Dec 9, 2011
    USA
    Quoting this for posterity's sake. Like saying what if somehow we managed to buy Falcao in the summer, or what if somehow we managed to run the table the rest of the season and won the league.

I said this.

9. Starksas

Starksas Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, considering NUFCs midfield is complete shit and Ben Arfa and Cabaye have been out for most of the season the service he gets is crap. Cisse would probably have 10-14 goals right now if he was in our squad and played regularly!

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    nonsense.

Ba had 13 goals before being sold. Cisse has been crap because he really isnt that good.

he would stick out like a sore thumb at Arsenal because of his bad touch, bad passing, and lack of involvement in teh build up.

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arseblogger wants his joke back.

12. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Don't know where i saw it but the funniest Newcastle joke ive seen lately is their named lineup for the next match being
    Krul
    France
    Cisse

Mister Obvious, mebeSajid and charlie15 repped this.
  13. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    To sum up:

1) This thread is way out of control, with more people trying to prove themselves right than actually discussing anything, and
    2) We are three days for the transfer window closing and still have only one striker we can play.

gunner0007 repped this.
  14. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Hghhhhllllyyy unlikely we're signing anyone, thats for sure.

15. 3rd_I

3rd_I Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Looking forward to chants of "you're just a french team in tyneside".

16. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    charlie15 repped this.
  17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  18. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Cisse has also been playing primarily on the right wing, which was the exact opposite to his partnership with Ba last season (where Ba played on the right, with Cisse up top).

Newcastle have also been ravaged pretty bad by the injury bug.

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    im not going to pretend i have watched every Newcastle match, but he and Ba had played more often in a 442 than any other formation according to Football-Lineups. Cisse only played out wide 3 times this season, including once after Ba left.

Cisse may have been found out, idk. I wasnt really impressed with dude during his hot run last season either.

20. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jut hear this joke....Pardew is changing his name to Alan DePardieu.
    (For those who may not be familiar with him, It is in reference to Gerard Depardieu
    the famous (or infamous) french actor).

Arsenalkid700 repped this.
  21. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    they did played mostly with 442 when ba was still there, but reverted to a 451 with cisse on the right for some games. since ba has left they've mostly played 4231 with cisse up top, though he has made 7 of his 23 appearances somewhere on the right, be it mr, amr or fr.

22. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    the name pardew has it's origins in french anyway, by god!

23. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't you mean Russian actor?

Capt.Tsubasa, charlie15 and BTV802 repped this.
  24. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait until thursday when this is over. I hope i'm never as bad at my job as sports journalists. One second- EXCLUSIVE ARSENAL LINKED TO DAVID VILLA... an hour later EXCLUSIVE ARSENAL NOT IN TALKS WITH VILLA. It's really really rediculous. Balotelli was a lock to Ac Milan but now he's in talks with Juventus. ******** all of it.

25. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    yeah, within an hour today we had "arsenal will go to £13.5m and match villa's wages" and "arsenal in jovetic bid". i guess it could be quite possible that they try for 2 in case one didn't happen, but the question is.........which would be the preferred choice- a cheaper but older striker villa or a younger but costlier forward jovetic?
    (as opposed to the probable choice of no one)

i know this is quite short-termist, considering our inconsistent scoring for much of the first half of the season, but after the last month or 2, shouldn't we really be looking for a defensive player of some sort? our defence will be pretty threadbare if a couple of defenders go down injured at once.
    lose gibbs and we face playing santos. lose any combination of 2 from 3 at cb and we're in big trouble.