Diamonds in the Rough... or Worms Under a Rock? The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Val1, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Youngun...people talk too much with rose tinted goggles about players who played 30 years before their birth....u can literally watch about ten games for those players and most are international....u cannot talk up a player when u have not seen them as much as their modern counterparts u compare them to

2. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I was not talking up anyone randomly. I was talking about Johan Cruyff. I man who had one 4 La Liga titles in the 90s before Arsene was hired so I was not just bullshiting about him being a good coach back then. I will admit that I did not know how he ran Barcelona as I was obviously not around then but fine, use that against me but to make up some rule that a person can not talk about a player who played before the poster was born is wrong.

Fifty repped this.
  3. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Rafa Benitez won La Liga twice, the Eufa cup and the Champions' League, and he SUCKS as a manager. You know how I know that? I have seen him. Stop taking everything you read as the truth (and then running with it as if you know what you are talking about). It may not always hold up. Maybe you are too young to see the fault, and fair enough, but others do.

4. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    but cruyff didn't suck as a manager.

Fifty repped this.
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it seems cruyffs problem is his arrogance, although his philosophy is the reason barca and ajax are so successful!

Fifty repped this.
  6. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ajax? given they're the biggest Dutch club, they've always been the most successful. It's just unlike the 70/80s/90s, they do shit in Europe and don't produce the players they once did.

7. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh piss off. Like my youth has anything to do with it. Welcome to the 21st century where not only do we have the power to read about the brilliance of some historic figures but we can also watch them from that time.

You really think I am that stupid to just read about how Cruyff was a great manager and just go with it. If I based managers like that I would have said that Arsenal should have signed bloody Armnado Colaco, the best coach in India because, from reading about him, he is the best in India. But no, I watched him and he is shit.

Same with Cruyff but he was brilliant. His matches are available and they are not just highlights, there are also tons of interviews dedicated to this man not just for his playing career but also his amazing managerial career where he guided Barcelona to their first European Cup championship and he led a dynasty in the early 90s playing a beautiful style of football. Everyone should know that. I dont care that I was not around because I can still see it.

As for me seeing my faults. Who the ******** said I was Gary Neville the great analyst on SKY Sports. I am Arsenalkid700. An American born Englishmen who is 17 years old living in America who watches Arsenal, his favorite club, on FOX Soccer or ESPN every week and likes to go and discuss said club on BigSoccer or an Indian Football forum in between. Basically, I am a fan. Fans dont know everything but you dont have to be a genius to know that.

charlie15, Fifty and Capt.Tsubasa repped this.
  8. ardee

ardee Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Damn. I think Sissoko was arguably the worst miss of the transfer window. 1 million was what Newcastle got him for and he's at least as good as Diaby. Even if we've given up on signing truly world class players, why the hell can't we pick up at least the cheaper ones who would still be really good?

Could have gotten Ba and Sissoko for less than 10 million combined. Unreal.

Fifty repped this.
  9. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's we?

10. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest I never really rated Sissoko. I only started watching him closely when I heard we were "linked" with him but I never really saw anything that made me say "He should play for Arsenal."

Overall he seems like a player that Newcastle would sign. He will do well but he wont be a Demba Ba for them.

11. ambro

ambro Member

Dec 9, 2011
    USA
    Well, he doesn't play striker either so logically you wouldn't expect him to be Demba Ba for them. I thought Sissoko would have been a great transfer, especially for the price he came for. He wouldn't walk into the team as a starter and instantly fix everything, but he would be the ideal replacement for Diaby when he gets sidelined next week for the next 8 months. (It's inevitable)

Only thing I can think of is that he left Toulouse only for a club that is better/bigger and one in which he would be a regular starter. Aresnal only fits one of those two criteria.

12. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant in terms of the impact Ba had. Not necessarily in goals obviously but in terms of what he would provide them.

As for him if he came here. I agree that he would be the ideal replacement for Diaby but I think we can arguably say the same about Ramsey if we need someone to come in. We also have Tomas if we want more attack. Also what if Diaby somehow remained fit. He managed 3 months over the summer and I would imagine Sissoko is not a player who would like the bench. He wants action more than anything else.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I may be wrong but sissoko could be one of the best signings for the price in a long time

daedalus and ambro repped this.
  14. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Well, no, I don't think you are stupid. You don't come across that way. But I do think you tend to talk out of your backside. Who watches the Indian league? I live in America and don't even know how you could do that, but hey, I'm sure you can watch those games on Youtube along with the full Barca games from the 1990s...

15. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I just saw the other day someone posted up on Youtube full radio brodcast of a Brooklyn Dodgers game called by Vin Scully. So while it may not be likely that he could have seen full 90's Barcelona games it might be possible.

16. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Newcastles team seems to be filled with players who will either flop or be utterly amazing, none of their new transfers seem like safe bets.

17. Starksas

Starksas Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Diaby is a backup used when rotation and rest is needed for the first 11 . If you rate Sissoko just as good as Diaby why would we waste 1 million on him + his salary hit when we already have Diaby as a backup who is just as good?

18. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    istream.com gives you the Indian football league matches. Short highlights, long highlights, full match, goals only videos etc. Its a crap league and I dont know why I keep watching it but I just like to watch something that no one else watches and see it develop. It's quite interesting actually.

Anyway, ya, I would agree that I do talk about out of my arse at times. But hey, again, we are just fans and if you don't like what I say, challenge it or just leave it.

Cevno, Fifty and Tonerl repped this.
  19. Twiggy

Twiggy Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In fairness, when looking at the grand scheme of things, their gambles have been paying off lately.

20. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Funny! That's like me talking about MLS! :D

21. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

He has.

22. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're two points clear of the relegation zone.

Jitty typed something recently like this is a reversion to mean for Newcastle, and I couldn't agree more. They finished fifth last year with a ridiculous +5 goal difference. Look at everybody else around them. Arsenal in third at +25, Sp*rs in fourth at +25, Chelsea in sixth at +19. You have to go down to ninth to find a lower goal difference.

Newcastle's finish last year was a fluke. Nothing more. The next time I hear an Arsenal fan talk about how great they are doing I'm going to punch them right in the face.

23. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they are.

24. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's cool, aren't we all just passionate fans? I have an Arsenal tattoo on my arm., so yeah, literally, its' *Arsenal Til I Die*. May I ask why an American born Anglo has an interest in Indian football? There is barely a league there, only a handful of clubs in two states, and the National Team literally has zero chance of qualifying for the World Cup.

25. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    P.S. When are the Toon Army officially changing the name of their club to Noveau Chateau?