DFB Pokal 2020/2021

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by Bananenflanke, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Stuttgart is next, we have to travel to the Schwabenland
    not exactly a dream tie... the team is in it's building-phase, sometimes unstable and sometimes very dangerous
    the higher trend is certainly upwards
    a lot of talent and very interesting to watch and a knows-what-he-wants coach
    it's not very risky to predict a formidable coaching career for Matarazzo

Dage repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of only two Bundesliga vs Bundesliga matchups in this round.

3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We at least were hard to beat the last months and this will definitely be gold in a cup game.

4. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #4 Bananenflanke, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    seems the club from the alpine foothills suffered severe whiplash when they lost against us last week... they are out of the cup: humbled by 2nd tier's Kiel!
    Thomas 'Radio' Müller, normally always good for a snappy oneliner, wasn't delighted at all when the female reporter was standing in front of him: laughing out loud!
    'You are laughing!'
    'No, I'm not!' (hahahaha)
    'Yes, you are!'

on 3rd of Feb it's again Gladbach vs the Matarazzos

5. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    moved on, a mature performance
    Borussia more and more manages to handle the nasty (and aspiring) opponents; contrary to the time of Hecking...

D'mund needed another VAR-farce (super-ref Stieler again) to proceed against 2nd tier P'born
    their coach Baumgart got in rage afterwards and delighted us with a blow to the Fatzkes:
    "There were 2 millions in it! I'm not a shareholder-company! WE have to earn every quarter!" (
    always liked the guy!)

remember Essen? 4th tier! Borussia played them in the cup 17/18
    well, L'kusen didn't score in 90min then took a lead in extra time... and were eliminated at the end (Essen already defeated two Bundesliga clubs this season, which is one MORE than S04 did ;-)

and the billy goats are out against 2nd tier Regensburg squandering a 2-0 advantage... I already fear we'll have no derbys next season...

Dage repped this.
  6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always possible that Duesseldorf will get promoted... ;);)

Also, with Bayern out, now is our chance for a trophy.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll also note that Elvedi's twin brother Jan was in the lineup for Regensburg....

8. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    we should sign him!
    then nobody would sign Nico because they never can be sure to get the real Elvedi...

Pepchester AGAIN in CL and now even the yellow plague AGAIN in the CUP
    the not-Borussia-phile (no matter which one) part of soccer Germany is kind of delighted: surprisingly many in media and 'real life' - being bored by the Fatzkes many lame attempts to attack the Hoenesses (and also their dull advances towards Rose) - are wanting GLADBACH to suceed it seems...

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This all shows that we are superior at finding talent.

10. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #10 Bananenflanke, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    well, they have talent
    Dahoud was a massive talent with us (I've always warned that something was missing) but with them he is a soporific roster-fillment for many seasons (and he seems to be cool with that which certainly tells us something about his attitude)
    I don't count Brandt (who is underperfroming in an impressive manner) and Haaland, because they weren't a 'talent' when D'mund attracted them
    but there is Sancho, Reyna, Moukoko, Bellingham... massive talent internationally

what a growing part of soccer-Germany is rubbing under their nose is:
    + that they are not making anything of it in terms of good-looking soccer over a longer period
    + that despite their money and talent they have only added one thin cup-win on their 'palmares' in the last years
    + that they have been without a chance against Bayern
    + that some kind of arrogance (especially in the person of Watzke) is coming to light and they more and more look like a Bayern for the poor
    + that they obviously are suffering from an immature Klopp-psychosis (that's why they are so desperately after Rose) and treating their coaches bad

and then on the other side there are clubs which get credit because they made and still make something out of little:
    Freiburg always did for many seasons, in the last years F'furt, Union... even Augsburg gets credit even though they always have to play stay-alive-soccer
    and us, of course who climbed the biggest heights (3x CL) starting from 2nd tier (pointing on this long time L'kusen-director of sports Calmund named Gladbach as 'model-club' of the Bundesliga when asked)

the 'neutral' parts of the soccer-community just like what we do (and many wish their clubs may do the same) and want this to GO ON on and watch where this leads to... how long this can go and where it ends... they are just curious (and maybe nostalgic too... looking for a less businesslike form of soccer)
    interrupting this development doesn't get you much sympathies at the moment

that's why media started to openly ask the Fatzkes the question if D'mund really is a step forward when coming from Gladbach (of course it still is, they are exaggerating that's their business... but still: they sense the atmosphere)
    same with the TV-pundits: the last one I'm aware of was Schweinsteiger... in free TV at prime time: "Gladbach is developing very well. He [Rose] doesn't have to leave."

anyway: Max will get another good coach, we don't have to beg...
    some have their money on ten Hag, some on Marsch (you would like that, right?), even Rangnick is named
    maybe Seoane is most realistic...

11. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Maric take the job if offered? Borussia Marschengladbach does have a nice ring to it.........

12. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    I thought about that, too (maybe dual leadership with Zickler?)
    I don't have a clue if he would take this
    we have to bear in mind that it was Rose who granted him (a relativ outsider) access into this illustrious soccer circle and Zickler is Rose's best buddy... these guys are very close and loyal I guess
    but I also can imagine that Rose would say 'Are you kidding me? If you get this chance: TAKE IT!'
    the question is if Maric himself, the team and overall Eberl feel he's ready for this (Maric is 28!)
    (what I heard: Maric & Zickler apparently don't have the Rose-clause in their contracts... I hope Max calls the Fatzkes into his office and let them beg on their knees if they want them ;-))))

also in our stable:
    Heiko Vogel: has CL-experience and defeated Manchester United (but I guess there are reasons why he is now coaching our 2nd team)
    Eugen Polanski: compelled by Nagelsmann to aim at a coaching career (but the head coach-job might come too early)

in my local paper this morning the many-seasoned Borussia reporter slightly hinted at ten Hag (don't know if he knows something or if it just was a perfect fit for his 'rose/tulips from Amsterdam-metaphor')
    Marsch in the meantime made clear that Bundesliga is his target
    and Rangnick made clear he's ready to coach again next season
    when you think of all this esteemed coaches (Rose, Hütter, Marsch, Glasner, Nagelsmann, Struber in New York and many more): simply put it was Rangnick who 'created' them
    Bundesliga or Premiership he says: Italy didn't work out, at Milan and Roma the Americans wanted him but it seems he demanded too much power (and this exactly might be the problem with Gladbach, too)
    however he's known for having strong Gladbach sympathies...

13. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    0-0 at halftime
    strange match, totally lacks the intensity of the league match some weeks ago (the good old times! ;-)
    we are clearly the better team (Thuram scored, but offside) which doesn't mean that much because the whole thing looks more than 2. Bundesliga-level than 1.
    they say there is an issue with the field which I do not understand (fine weather here for several days)
    I have a hunch that before kickoff both teams agreed to go into extra time...

14. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #14 Bananenflanke, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    to quote WC-winner Andy Brehme's deep philosophy: "when you have shit at the foot, you have shit at the foot!"
    arrrrgh, at the moment I really don't want to see Watzke's face again... ever!
    based on this match alone you can't reproach neither team nor coach (but of coures there were more matches than just this and also the high-clocked schedule was a liitle bit to much for us)

but looks like the judgement on the man in charge will be like that:
    R? the at the end annoying man who coached us in annoying Covid-times and teared down with his arse what he built with his 'hands'
    yes, that is a little bit unfair: he brought us into the round of 16 but 'defection' does not sit very well with the supporter's brain and the situation also got out of hands for the man in charge, partly because his piteous new taskmaster leaked it

when Kovac activated his release clause at F'furt back then there was exactly the same astonishment, anger and even rage like now with us
    club decided to not sack him and weeks later they won the cup
    worked pretty fine for them, didn't work for us
    I don't blame Max at all but some people surely will do
    next season we will be back: STRONG!

so guys, I'm done with the season... some difficult and time-consuming tasks are pending anyway
    don't lose heart, stay healthy (I hope the damn C-thing is gonna be over soon but I doubt it)
    all the best and bye...

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to use Fohlen Radio on the website to listen to the second half (in German). That actually was fun, though the result was not.

But this season is essentially over. There's not much to play for. Europa League, maybe. But that's a pretty crowded field.

16. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As fast as it essentially began.
    Of no moment, it wasn't real anyway.

You guys ready for CCL Ken?

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully. We shall see. On paper, the team is considerably better--with one exception, right back. If Afful gets hurt, that will be a challenge. Hoping to have a shot at going to the first game--that will be April 15. But I have a schedule conflict, so I probably will not go. Will depend on when I can get my vaccine. I'll be eligible in Ohio on Thursday, but it may take time to schedule.

LuckyStriker repped this.
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tried to schedule this morning. One provider had a few slots--but you have to schedule the second shot at the same time (which makes sense) but there was no availability. :(

19. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What the ffff am I watching

20. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+