DFB Pokal 2019/2020

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by Bananenflanke, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    first competitive match of the season: Sandhausen (away)
    a 15.000pop Megalopolis with a dune (hence the name)... but unfortunately no beach far and wide
    finished 15th in last season's 2.Bundesliga
    Andrew Wooten (one of the germanborn Americans) is their monster-scorer

looks like a must-win for Rose and the team but as always 1st Cup round will cause some stunner results: the match of the year-extra-performance on the one and the underestimate-factor on the other side
    and most of all: the opponents of the Bundesliga-clubs start much more early into season and usually are more in the 'groove' by this point

2. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wooten's contract expires 6/30, multiple reports indicating he's Chicago-MLS bound.

There are no guaranteed W's for Borussia this season. Not with a new coach trying (perhaps) to implement a new style with mostly the same players. It would be nice to see Benes and the kids get a real shot to see if there's a fit in the near term............but I'm unaware of his policy on youth as opposed to old war horses so.........................

3. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    ah, yes 6/30... perhaps I was rather hasty in opening a new 19/20-thread because 18/19 isn't officially completed
    sorry for that respected forum participants! I was misled, over here there is no term like 'off-season', meaning: all matches played, but inter alia leaving players still under contract (if this is the correct meaning at all ;-)... for us supporters the season ends with the last matchday

you're right, I checked: German media definitely see Wooten leaving to the U.S. (it's his longtime dream)... but no clubs are mentioned at all
    now it's definitely a must win for Borussia!
    and Sandhausen is going to be relegated... and even worse: they are gonna loose their unique selling point (village-club) because Großaspach of 3rd tier is even 'smaller' than them... how could Wooten do that?

about the new coach: you are totally wrong! ;-)))))
    Rose didn't go for your defeatist ;-) "no guaranteed W's"-talk at all when he was presented in Gladbach
    he said: it's gonna take some time, but I know we nevertheless need results, AND WE WILL GET THEM... so everything is fine, don't doubt, get into joyful expectation like me (it's like becoming a father!)
    CL-ranks 19/20 and 20/21 we are going for the Meisterschaft... even club legend Netzer, who is not known for over-enthusiastic predictions said that Borussia can become Meister again if they club manages to bring more consistency in it's performances [to be honest, I don't know what has entered him... finishing 4th in the next years would be great, but I don't take that for granted... with or without Rose... next season there won't be as many opponents in shooting-in-their-own-foot-mode like 18/19, I'm pretty sure)

4. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Sandhausen's monster scorer is joining Philadelphia (what a surprise! ;-)))

Sanhausen's coach told that "on a normal" day Borussia is gonna win but he also emphasized that his team has an advantage because it's Borussia's first competitive match of the season

5. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Story went from coming to us to coming to Chi-town and then back to us all within 5 days. They (and some German SM) were all saying he was Illinois bound.

Hijacking in MLS? The very thought.............:ROFLMAO:

6. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    this evening it counts! Sandhausen got one point out of two 2.Bundesliga matches bit they say they certainly looked better than that...
    Borussia is pulling all of Sandhausen's inhabitants into the stadium and there will be 4000 Gladbacher, too... everybody is hot as frying fat... 1-4, I assume (Plea at least scoring two!)

kgilbert78 repped this.
  7. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    I guess the "Kampf und Krampf"-headline is to the point
    quite a struggle, sometimes mean, garnished with a lot of 'Krampf' (~ cramp), in this context meaning: the inability to reach a higher level of soccer
    we didn't press that much, instead Sandhausen on their part pestered us quite often in our own half... all in all I couldn't recognize a big difference in 'quality'
    Sandhausen got their chances, but, astonishingly, the lack of imagination in offense surpassed our defensive weakness
    so, no 1-4 but at least 0-1 and overall the team didn't buckle
    that's DFB-Pokal, first round!
    H'heim got into penalties against a 3rd tier club, Mainz out against a 3rd tier club, Augsburg out against a 4th tier club... and there is more to come I guess

Cuisance wasn't in the squad because of little ailments

8. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    wow, anybody as enthusiastic as I am?
    it's against Hazard, Dahoud, Reus, Schulz and Favre!
    away!
    another season without silverware I guess...

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harsh draw that early....

LuckyStriker repped this.
  10. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    at least eleven players out against BVB tomorrow (by now the replacements like Jantschke have to be replaced; Embolo out for most likely four matches)
    Stindl not fit for 90min
    players like Zak urgently need a break
    Benes (played his first 'english Week' ever) & Thuram are still lacking stamina
    some are driving on their rims I guess
    123km running distance (season high for Gladbach) against F'furt... after a Rome-trip few hours ago!
    tomorrow means: testing the limits!
    but some supporters and especially some media are thinking that Westfalenstadium is overdue to fall tomorrow... puhhhhh! I'm not that optimistic

ok, after D'dorf, Turkey, BVB, Rome, F'furt etc it seems that the 'caving in'-times are finally over
    and D'mund is somewhat ailing; they got very lucky against us and against S04 and lost in Italy (even quality-paper FAZ called their style against Inter 'Bübchenfußball'... little-boy soccer)
    media has already lined up to bring Favre down and some already rushed ahead: there is talk of a 'Schicksalsspiel', the match which decides upon his future (all of this typical premature media-hyperbole, of course)
    hyperbole, like similarily what media is placing on our shoulders: articles about Gladbach becoming Meister... because of a) & b) & c) ... hahaha
    and the tale that Gladbach (and F'furt f.e.) is thrilling while BVB and Bayern are boring
    the match on wednesday is big, it's on television... we started something and soccer-Germany is playing along... and now of all time we appear with a 'Rumpfttruppe'... a depleted squad... I hate it!
    if the team will pass this test I'm flashed... and media will add more points why Gladbach is finally winning the league...

from ZEIT:
    "In a crazy league, where the tenth is only five points away, Borussia Mönchengladbach, truly no team without defects, remains front-runner. Even if coach Marco Rose does not want to talk about the table: After a quarter of the season that is not nothing."
    and
    "Lucien Favre may have to ask himself how he has formed such a discouraged bunch from a surely not perfect, but offensively talented squad. And why, despite the slowdown, he brought in national striker Julian Brandt not before the 86th minute. In general, the Bundesliga is not good, but at least it is entertaining. Dortmund is currently playing bad and moreover: boring. BVB is tormenting all football supporters."

11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good game so far, dominating BVB on the road. Still 0-0, though.

12. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    SO4 staggered into next round against a 2.Bundesliga team (at least a good one)
    the Honesses staggered into next round against another 2.Bundesliga team (a bad one at the moment... Salihamidzic: "I'm happy to get in the bus.")
    but they made it...
    and the goats are out against Wynalda's ex-club (4th tier)
    we are out too, but at least we didn't make a fool out of ourselves... actually this was good promotion for Borussia

the Borussias were tired... it showed! a lot of inaccuracy on both sides... normally, we would have won, actually BVB was pretty bad
    but what do you expect?
    11 out yesterday morning
    Kramer before the match, makes 12
    Bensebaini in 26th, makes 13
    and Hofmann & Stindl had to start; both normally would have gotten nothing more than a 30min-mission
    at the end Makridis of U23 had to come in...

let the insipid you'll-never-walk-alone-copycats go with the cup, we go with the championship ;-)

13. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knew that CBD oil meant: "Can't Beat Dortmund?".....................................