DFB Pokal 13/14

Discussion in 'Germany' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 1, 2013.

?

Who will win the Pokal this year?

1. Bayern

27.3%
  2. BVB

18.2%
  3. Schalke

9.1%
  4. Leverkusen

18.2%
  5. Werder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

27.3%
  1. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
  2. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Werder? Lol! They should pray they don't get relegated. That team is awful!

3. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Yeah, I just put them there because historically in the last 10 years they tend to play well in the Pokal. ;)

4. SlantNGo

SlantNGo Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Man, I'm just hoping they pass the first round this year. The last 2 years have been embarrassing losing to 3rd division teams.

5. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    That's the Pokal for ya. Always funs surprises that happen and NO team is immune to them.

6. 20oth

20oth Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Severn, Md
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    do the bigger clubs always start with an away game?

7. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Typically yes. In later rounds it is up to a draw but, I believe, if a minnow makes it through to a team like Bayern there is the option of giving up the home advantage for a larger gate receipt by having Bayern host or hosting at a larger regional venue near the minnow team.

A few years back I recall a 9th division side playing at the BL side to get a bigger cut of the gate since their stadium only supported 1200 people. They lost big but walked with a pay day that was double their annual budget. ;)

8. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
  9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    As a Köln fan I recall a few years ago in the first round they were drawn away to Kickers Emden.
    (The previous season Emden had a decent spell in the 3. Liga but for financial reasons voluntarily dropped down two divisions at the time they met Köln.)
    Kickers expressed their wish to switch venues (it was to be Podolski's first match since his return from Bayern so a big crowd would have been expected at the Rhein-Energie) but the DFB disallowed it, citing a rule that does not allow the changing of home rights/responsibility of staging the tie. Emden only had the option of switching to a venue within their region. In the end the match was played at Kickers' home ground (Embdena-Stadion).
    http://www.t-online.de/sport/fussba...-heimrecht-nicht-mit-1-fc-koeln-tauschen.html
    Whether this rule has changed since or if a venue switch is allowed for later rounds, I don't know.
    And as far as I know, the draw for every round is always conducted in such a way to ensure clubs from the 3. Liga and below are kept apart for as long as possible while also hosting their tie (assuming those lower division clubs continue to advance).

Or I could be totally wrong on everything. :p (awaiting confirmation :oops:)

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Such a rule doesn't exist.

It is always, without exception:
    1 st round - two pots of 32 teams. One amateur pot (28 amateur/3. Liga clubs plus the 4 lowest ranked 2. BL clubs), one pro pot (all other BL and 2. BL clubs). All games are between one "amateur" and one "pro" side, the team from the amateur pot always hosts.

2nd round - two pots again. Amateur pot (all remaining amateur and 3. Liga clubs), pro pot (all other clubs). All "amateur" teams are drawn against "pro" teams and have hosting rights. As soon as no team from the amateur pot remains, it's a random draw, the team drawn first hosts, no exceptions.

3rd round onwards - always a completely random draw, team drawn first hosts, unless an amateur team remains. Then the amateurs host (however, two amateur can be drawn against each other at this stage - there is always only one pot from the 3rd round on).

Teams can't swicth hosting rights. However, clubs can choose their home stadium, which is why many amateur teams move to a bigger stadium for those games. The stadium has to be within a certain radius from the clubs home, though. So if an amateur club is located near enough a BL club they can select the BL clubs stadium as their home stadium, however, this is not considered switching hosting rights.

20oth and LoewenBoy repped this.
  11. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Hence why I said "I believe". ;)

I recall a while back a local amateur team being drawn against their larger regional pro team and opting for the pay day at that venue knowing they were going to get spanked. If I can recall the team I will post it. I seem to remember they were a very, very small town. Maybe it was near FCN? The name escapes me now.

12. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
  13. 20oth

20oth Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Severn, Md
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hertha with a 120 min. penalty to go through. Almost a repeat of last year, yikes!

14. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday Neckerasulmer SU moved their game against Kaiserslautern to Heilbronn's stadium, but the DFB may have required it because their stadium was not up to snuff.

15. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After two days of no upsets (I do not really consider Osnabruck winning an upset) several today. Love the cup.

16. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    As I said, clubs can chose their own stadium if it is within a certain radius of where the club is based. If a club is located close enough to Munich they could play in the Allianzarena for example, even if their opponent is Bayern. They would still be the host, though. Rehden will play Bayern in Osnabrück.

That's not really a cup rule, btw - pro clubs obviously don't move into other stadia often, but St. Pauli playing HSV in the Volksparkstadion a few years back (as the home team), FSV Frankfurt playing in the Waldstadion or Hoffenheim playing in Mannheim are basically the same case. The hosting club can pick any stadium they want, as long as they have an agreement with the owner and the stadium fullfills the regulations for the competition, in both league and cup play.

17. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I as agreeing with you and was just providing an example from this weekend.

18. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I usually glance about those quote boxes, so I sometimes miss what people are replying to :)

19. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoyed the match in Freiburg today. I peaked into the VfB subforum to see if there was any chatter. Instead:
    [​IMG]

20. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    That matches their performance on the pitch. ;)

Hobo repped this.