Dexter Langen?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bata, Sep 8, 2007.

1. bata

bata Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I was watching a replay of the Borrussia Dortmund-Hansa Rostock game the other day, and was surprised to hear that a Hansa player not named Pearce also has an American background.

The announcer said midfielder/defender Dexter Langen, 26, was born to an American military officer and a German woman. Looks like the guy has played in Germany all his life, so it's unclear whether he has any connections back to the U.S.

Here's his bio on Kicker:

http://kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/vereine/spielersteckbrief/object/26697/saison/2007-08

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Didn't he own the club in Animal House where Otis (my man!) Day and the Knights played?

Oh, and PS - cap him! (Had to be first)

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Man, it's a sign of how far the US National Team has come that a thread about a player starting for a German first division club potentially being able to play for the US has only gotten a couple of hits on BigSoccer and none in over 24 hours.

Man, 5-6 years ago this thread would have been hopping with optimistic hits and 10 years ago this would have crashed Soccer American Graffiti!:eek:

Oh, and if Bora or Sampson were still coaching the US, this guy would be starting against Brazil today!

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    And that it's taken this many posts to make a Dexter's Lab reference.

6. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Most definitely.

EDIT-Up top.:)

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This is real interesting. Nice find, thanks.

8. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Well, maybe not a lot of posts- but yeah, I think Bob Bradley should at least consider a guy like this in his broader viewing circle.

The problem is- one needs to make *some* effort to view games from a Hansa Rostock..its not so simple...and I could easily see a USMNT coach not making the effort and letting it just slip a bit.

I wouldn't call the guy up yet, but I'd certainly want to monitor his minutes and see him on film. If he is getting above average-to-good reports + playing a lot of minutes in the BL come early next year, we would be negligent not to take a closer look.

We don't have a lot of defenders playing in a top 5 league.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    For the record, going to add Dexter to the official list. According to the club:

Seine Mutter Renate, eine ehemalige Turnerin, ist Deutsche, sein Vater Kennedy McKenzey ein amerikanischer Offizier, der in Florida lebt. Von der Nationalität ist Dexter Deutscher.​

Link:
    http://www2.fc-hansa.de/cp/index.php?id=206

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    My wife speaks a little German and she says the above says that Dexter is the son of an American military officer from Florida and a German mother but his nationality is German.

I interpret that to mean he's grown up in Germany and never lived in the US. Obviously, he has US citizenship and is eligible to play for the US.

Whether he has any desire too, however, is another story. I certainly think it would be worth following up on. Theoretically, Bradley and his coaches are already watching Hansa Rostock to monitor Pearce so they should have ample chances to see him play. It also wouldn't hurt to see if he's interested. Just have Heath ask and if he says "no" that's it.

If he says "sure, why not" then just check him out. Yeah, we're not desparate for Amis like we were back in the early and mid 90's but we're also not so good that we can dismiss, outright, someone consistently playing in the Bundesliga.

I mean, Sal Zizzo, Lee Nguyen and Kamani Hill have been capped by the US this summer and all of them are riding major pine at their teams. If this guy is PLAYING in the German top flight and he wants to play for the US and is eligible, it's hard to justify not bringing him in when the likes of Hill and Zizzo have been capped.

11. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Bruce S. will be coming on, and making some crack about a kid playing in his rec league in T minus 4.......3.........2.......

12. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    ... and Hansa Rostock went down to the 3. Liga in the mean time.