Development PLayers

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by DREWWW, Sep 6, 2007.

1. DREWWW

DREWWW Member

Jan 24, 2006
    H2Otown, Masachewsez
    Wow, I Don't feel so bad for the USL-1 players anymore. I assume the rights to a player drafted lapse after a year if he isn't signed, think the revs could pick this guy up in the draft next year and offer him a Sr. spot? Push Reily and maybe Heaps for a starting spot.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=459854&root=us&cc=5901

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to go after Needham. And pulling him out from under DC makes it even better!

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I had mentioned in another thread that we could fill the empty two roster spots with USL players; with apologies for repeating myself, the article says it better than I did. I agree with Monty on both counts. Picking up Needham would be good cover and a sharp stick in the eye for DCU.

4. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    I was almost sure that teams retained rights to drafted but unsigned players for TWO years from the draft not one, so Needham would become available as an MLS free agent after two years in other leagues.

The whole development roster salary is foolish. They could double the salary and it would cost about $100,000 ($10K * 10 if I understand correctly) per team. I also note that MLS has include development players in the "we own your soul for 4 years" pool along with draftees.

5. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you simply can't pay someone thousands under the poverty line. it's garbage. They could make more working at the mall. It's insulting and I do think it hurts MLS ultimately