Detroit Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by detroitexpress, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's keep this thread to college and PDL teams in Michigan, while keeping the high-school games to the high-school forum:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=261

2. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your posts always seem to have this green haze over them, Nacional. No wonder you get sleepy.

(I first thought the green was a cool use of color, now I'm just finding it hard to read. -- Steve)

3. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should look at bidding for NCAA College Cup games, and LHUS Open Cup finals: a 20-30K "downsized" field would be great for those games.

I heard someon say that they like the amount of sideline space between the football boundary and the wall---much more than the S'dome. That also kind of told me that it is wide enough for soccer.

4. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ford Field

>>>I heard someon say that they like the amount of sideline space between the football boundary and the wall---much more than the S'dome. That also kind of told me that it is wide enough for soccer.<<<<

but ford field has field turf... same crap as naperville... not to mention the football lines... unless you heard they were talking about bringing back "turf in trays" again.

what games had u heard they were talking about bringing to FF? i havent heard of anything

5. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    well sorry for that... i'm not vhanging it anyways...

6. hammer

hammer New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    "but ford field has field turf... same crap as naperville... not to mention the football lines... unless you heard they were talking about bringing back "turf in trays" again."

I'm no authority on turf, but I've heard that Naperville is the low end stuff and Ford Field is state of the art.

7. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    i think it doesn't matter.... It is turf... grass is better...

8. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Christos had a very supportive argument that a renovated Tiger Stadium could be a successful location for a new MLS Detroit franchise, instead of building an entire new stadium."

My idea is to have a stadium on the current Tiger Stadium site, but the current TS has to be torn down, as it is falling apart from the inside, anyway.

My other ideas are the State Fairgrounds, and the current Train Depot, near Mexicantown.

Talk about site selection might be moot if Duggan has a site already picked.

"Steve recommended that fan club organization should begin well in advance of the actual arrival of the team."

I said that? My point was that if a fan club got started, it should be simple name that anyone, anywhere would understand what it meant. So it has to have some comination of Detroit/Michigan/Mid-Michigan and MLS/soccer in the name. No strange words like "ultras" or "barnburners" or "northenders" should be in there.

"I informed everyone that, in my discussions with Dan Duggan..., it was in our best interest to support his already-started movement.... Another meeting to chart progress will be held soon, according to Dan.... All of us should attend that meeting."

Good. Waiting for the meeting. Although if Duggan's movement is more on the business side than a fan's movement, then a seperate fan's movement can be considered. (But since I am already involved in one volunteer effort, I couldn't be the one to run this hypothetical fan club.)

9. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thread dead???

hey.. no one is posting? is this thread dead? ive seen its dropped to page 2...

come on guys, where is all that witty banter about kicking chicago's ass etc???

10. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    Thread is in dormancy. Or, people have gotten lives.

11. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

So, what's your excuse?

12. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow it is dead

too bad... this was an entertaining thread... what happen to Michael Polonaski? Davids26?

anyone else going to CCS on the 14th for their last home game of the season????

13. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still here; just very busy. HUGE win for the Crew tonight! There will be four of us from Detroit at the Crew game Saturday night. We are in section 205; come on bye.

Mike

14. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I"m here as well, soccer season is in full swing and I'm just busy as ever. Mike sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but my coach regrettably declined the offer for a game. He said he couldn't see where we could fit you guys in. Hope your season is going well, we're currently ranked 6th in Division 4, but we just suffered our first loss of the season last saturday to Grand Rapids Baptist. Our record is now 5-1-0.

I'll try and check out these boards more often.

15. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    My wife ate my homework(life)?

I will be down to CCS for the 14th.

16. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that everyone took a moment today to honor those who fell on this date one year ago.

9-11-01

9-11-02

17. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    I did. And then I had to get back to work.

Such is the way...

18. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you guys make it to 9-14 game

did you guys make it there? great game!! first time there and definately not my last!!! we are already making plans for next years trip...

how lucky was i? got to see both goals and the sweet PK save by Busch... not a very good spot kick by hristo... but none the less, saw a stoning on the pk... suh-weet....

what an impressive stadium.... had a great time in the supporters section.. a lot of singing... just a bit of drinking... a great time!!!

19. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps the best game I have been to at Crew Stadium ever (with the exception of the USA-Mexico clash in February '01). 90% sold out, great atmosphere, two excellent goals, and Busch's stoning of that fascist Stoichkov's pk was the best! I have never seen Crew players shoot so much; it was great! Even Cunningham, who traditionally has to dribble up to the one-inch line before shooting, uncorked several good ones from outside the box. I'm still buzzing.

20. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a game

yes... we saw both goals at our end... first goal was a bit shakey.... but the 2nd goal was a good follow up for the first shot... yeah, busch stoning hristo was excellent.... great crowd... i think it was more than 90 % filled... but who cares.. great crowd... great game.. great result...

we will be back next year....

thanks to Zak and the rest of the V Army for the hospitality at the thistle... that has the makings of a great soccer pub... they are a fun bunch of guys... we sang "who ate all the pies" on the way home....

21. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hey, I'm glad to hear you guys had a good time. If you're a Crew fan, it was a proud night. We took it to them like no other, and we celebrated like rock stars after.

Well, except LoveFifa, I think I heard his wife calling for him or something.

22. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    Let's see...hang out with Bailey getting wasted at the Rose and Thistle or get a regular piece of ass from the wife.

Not much of a choice.

Have fun working out that forearm muscle while the girl's away studying abroad with those greasy Europeans.

23. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000

how many variety's of ass does your wife serve up? And what made you order the regular on that particualr night?

by the way.

I own a large van. I when the playoffs begin I can drive everyone.

24. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    when is the next detroit area get together?

25. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's funny because it's true.

You all have to celebrate with us after the USOC final, ok?