Detroit Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by detroitexpress, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Mike

Where do you guys sit for crew games??? u have season tix or get them at the tix office?

ive been talking with the crew board and supposedly we could get supporters section seats for $10 bucks.... is that a good place to check out the game and drink a few???

2. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davids:

I will do my best to attend one of your games this year. As you know, I am the newly hired head coach at Detroit Western HS and we are starting our program from scratch, so I am always on the lookout for new ideas, etc. However, I am not a big fan of soccer players going for long (3-4 mile runs). Those runs do provide you with aerobic endurance, which makes up about 60% of a footballer's spent energy. But aerobic fitness could also be accomplished by doing drills with a ball at your feet. Drills that are longer in length and slower in pace develop aerobic fitness, while drills that are shorter in length and faster in pace develop anaerobic fitness, which makes up about 40% of a footballer's spent energy. If you check any of the KNVB (Netherlands) coaching tapes, they insist that all drills should be done with a ball in simulated game-like situations.

Just my opinion.

Mike

3. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Haha. I totally agree with you. The running seems even more pointless for me as I'm the goalkeeper, but I guess it has some benefits. This is how we've always done it, but maybe that explains why we've gone out in our first game of districts the past two years....

4. quackman

quackman Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd just like to thank you guys for encouraging me to start playing again (several months ago, and on the old thread). I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed playing this sport, and I still had fun, even without any talent.

5. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ted, don't leave a guy hangin'...

Have you sent the xbox yet, or not? If not, the deal may be off because I leave for chicago wednesday and time is short...

I know I should PM this but you haven't responded to my last ones :)

6. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Thought I would chime in again on my soccer team. We have a scrimmage tomorrow against Jackson Baptist. I went and picked out my game gloves today. ADIDAS Finger Savers. Very nice.

Team morale is pretty high right now. We have a new transfer student playing with us, amazing talent. From the looks of it we won't be fielding a JV team this year, we've only fielded a JV once, and that was last year. We have another scrimmage Monday afternoon at Ortonville-Brandon. Then next Friday we begin our season in the Macomb Tournament (We won this last year), opening up against our Canton rivals Agape Christian.

Next Tuesday-Thursday Dennis Brose will be practicing with us. Most of the team isn't excited about that because he runs the heck out of everyone. So yeah. Theirs your update.

7. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davids:

How big is your school? Class A, B, C, or D?

8. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Class D = Division 4

9. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Detroit Supporters' Meeting August 17th

REMINDER:

MLS Detroit Supporters' Meeting

Saturday, August 17th

Coaches Corner of Detroit,
    1465 Center Street
    Harmonie Park
    Downtown Detroit
    Near Broadway People Mover Station

4pm-?

I have a match in the Lincoln Park tennis tournament at 2:30pm, so I may arrive a little late. If any of you beat me there, please ask the bartender to put the DC-SJ game on. If there are any questions, please tell them that Mike Polonski cleared this with Matt, the owner, three weeks ago.

Hope to see all of you there.

10. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    So tonight we tied Jackson Baptist 2-2 in our first scrimmage.

We went up with about 10 minutes left in the first half, then half time came. 20 minutes into the 2nd half we had two defensive breakdowns within about 4 minutes of eathother and they go up 2-1. We then draw a PK about 2 minutes later, and score to tie it 2-2.

We were the better team, we just couldn't put the ball in the net tonight. I maybe could have gotten to the first goal if I would have been in a little bit better position, I made 4 pretty easy saves.

Next up is Ortonville-Brandon on Monday at 7:30.

11. quackman

quackman Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry I couldn't make the meeting. How'd it go?

12. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
  13. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meeting recap:

I arrived late because of my tournament match, which I lost, 6-4;7-5, but several good discussions were held. Christos had a very supportive argument that a renovated Tiger Stadium could be a successful location for a new MLS Detroit franchise, instead of building an entire new stadium. Steve recommended that fan club organization should begin well in advance of the actual arrival of the team. I informed everyone that, in my discussions with Dan Duggan, GM of the Bucks, it was in our best interest to support his already-started movement. Dan's group had a big meeting last year with over 60 people in attendance, including several MLS big shots. Another meeting to chart progress will be held soon, according to Dan. It is at this time that serious recommendations and proposals can be made. All of us should attend that meeting. I will post it as soon as I hear about it. Don Garber stated recently that expansion would not occur before 2004, but I realistically predict that it won't happen until '07 or '08.

Our next get-together is planned for September 14 in Columbus, Ohio at the Crew-Fire game. More information will be coming shortly regarding the organizational aspects of that gathering.

Mike

14. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Again I won't be able to make it I have a game the day of the 14th.

Just a recap on our teams progress.

We played Division 2 Ortonville-Brandon last night under the lights in Ortonville, and won 2-0, which is a big accomplishment for us, a Division 4 school.

I had some big saves, we were most definitely the better team on the field, and we just need to work a little more on our finishing, and we could be a big force in D4 this year.

Our next game is against our Canton rivals Agape Christian, in the Macomb Christian Tournament, which we won last year. We play them Friday at 5:30 in Warren.

15. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Detroit movement update

The next get-together for supporters of the MLS Detroit movement will be on Saturday, September 14th at Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio as the Crew takes on the Fire. Game time is 7:30pm.

We will leave Detroit at approximately 1pm and return at approximately 2am.

Tailgating is from 4:30pm-7:30pm. This includes the consumption of large amounts of alcohol. I hope that those of you who are new to our movement are comfortable with this.

If you are seriously interested, please send a personal check or cash in the amount of $18 to the address below. I will purchase tickets from the Crew in our season ticket section (205) for the Detroit contingent.

Hope to see a lot of you there.

Mike Polonski
    200 Riverfront Dr. #9D
    Detroit, MI 48226

16. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will need the money by Saturday, August 31st.

Mike

17. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    the soundersplay in memorial isn't it?????

wich is the capacity of that stadium???

i know that sounders might want to play in the new seahawks stadium next season... the prices will be around 130 - 325 bucks... a little expensive for an A-League match isnt' it???

18. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Wrong city Nacional.

You're asking about Seattle not Detroit.

19. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    damn... i was little sleepy.... i putted this same post in the san diego thread yesterday

20. detroitexpress

detroitexpress New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    I know the impossibility of a Detroit pro soccer team playing at Ford Field has probably been discussed on the previous incarnation of this thread.

But seeing how great the place looked today, it sure is fun to imagine.

21. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Update on PCA varsity Soccer.

We played in the Macomb Christian Crusader Cup tournament this weekend.

We played one game on Friday against Agape Christian which we won 9-0. Then two today, beating Our Lady of the Lakes 2-1, and then beat Zoe Christian 1-0 in the final.

Next game is at home against Lutheran Westland, who are supposed to be pretty good.

22. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
  23. hammer

hammer New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I agree with Detroit Express, it was hard not to day-dream about MLS at Ford Field. The stadium is one of the best of any sport in the U.S.

I could see MLS there if the circumstances were right: The Fords would have to be involved in the ownership. I'm sure they want to get people there as often as possible.

I read that fifa likes field turf, so MLS should be OK with it. I don't think the football lines are permanent, but I don't know about the ease of changing them.

The lower bowl seats 30,000, and could be downsized for to 20k for MLS. I know that they made the field wide enough with the hopes of hosting WC games someday.

I know MLS wants to avoid big stadiums, but this place is unique.

OK, enough dreaming. Resume your discussion of Div. 4 high school soccer.

24. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000

25. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the Press Conference at the All Star Game and sitting next to a friend of mine, when we heard the word "Detroit" and "Cleveland" flow out of Garbers mouth, we both turned to each other with big smiles....

Things are looking good, and I'm surprised I haven't heard more about Philadelphia...I mean, what is a pro league without Philly and Motown? Two of the biggest TV markets....

If we get wind of some news about Detroit, we'll be all over it on the show....we've been screamin' about MLS Expansion in Michigan ever since the first show....

Scott's dream is to fix up old Tiger Stadium :)