Detroit Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by detroitexpress, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. detroitexpress

detroitexpress New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    Okay, we had almost 600 messages on this thread before Big Soccer went under. Let's continue that great tradition with more discussion of all things Soccer, Detroit Style.

This time maybe we'll have an MLS team before this thread ends.

2. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9-14 road trip

hey michael.. i got your email.. but cant make it to the bucks game.... are there good pubs near CCS. whats the best time to get there? a good tail gate atmosphere at the game??

im thinking with chicago in town.. it should be a helluva game

3. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Detroit meeting at Bucks game Saturday night

Now that our thread has been restored, lets organize for the Bucks' tailgate.

What: Bucks vs. Dayton

Where: Plymouth-Canton High School

When: Saturday, July 20th, 7:30pm

Why: To discuss the latest developments in the movement to bring an MLS franchise to Detroit, and drink and eat.

Look for my white Toyota Corolla with the Columbus Crew bumper sticker. I will be at the site between 5:30pm and 6:00pm. I have a table 4 chairs and a modest amount of food and drink. Everyone is welcome. Hope to see all of you there.

Mike

4. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Directions

If anyone needs directions to Plymouth-Canton High School, e-mail me privately at:

polonskijr@hotmail.com

Mike

5. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I'll see you there Mike.

6. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    I'm glad someone started this thread again.

Davids, you better look out you little Fire lovin' bitch. I'll see you at the Bucks' game this weekend.

Beer bong, anyone?

SPARTIA, AAAAHHHH!!!!

7. detroitexpress

detroitexpress New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    The Detroit Soccer Manifesto

The Detroit Soccer Manifesto

DETROIT SOCCER WILL ROLL AGAIN
    There's a city that stretches from the Majestic Fountain of Belle Isle to the hard-partying streets of Pontiac.
    From our Canadian blood brothers to the South to the wild and primal woods of the North.
    From the ancient academic halls of Ann Arbor to the Fish-Flied fields of Algonac.
    A city with a hard nose and starry eyes. A city with one greasy hand turning a monkey wrench and the other hand stretching for the Michigan moon.
    A city with an unquenchable thirst for competition and victory on the wide fields of soccerdom. It's an attitude that sticks to your soul like spilled Faygo redpop to the bottom of your shoes.

There's a town called Detroit that pulls together the fiery hearts of people of all creeds and colors under one banner. So lift a mug of Stroh's or Vernor's, and shout

DEE-TROIT, DEE-TROIT, DEE-TROIT, BABY!!! HOME SWEET HOME!!!

DETROIT SOCCER WILL ROLL AGAIN

8. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    Detroitexpress for Governor.

Ef all of the other politician weenies. We need a soccer guy in office.

9. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Guys I won't be able to make the tailgate, I should be up there around 7 though for the game, wearing my orange Holland jersey.

10. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be coming a little later, about 6:30pm. Look for my yellow Crew jersey.

Mike

11. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    So the Bucks win 3-1 tonight and play the Des Moines Menace in the playoffs next week.

Good to meet you Trevor. I think I saw Mike? Yellow scarf?

Thanks for the Fire fan ribbing...

12. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    *sheds a tear*

Mike and all, sorry I couldn't come. By the time I read this, I was already in Petosky or some such weird place. Anyway, I had my first Pierogi (sp?) and major stomach ache in a while! Complete with right off the boat Polish server! Thanks Michigan!

P.S. - Why do you all think you're Canadian? The entire state is littered with Canadian flags at hotels, restaurants, etc. Are there really that many Canucks hitting the Madison Heights scenery?

Back to soccer, the Fire suck and Trevor got the clap.

13. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    Are you sure you weren't in Canada? No one in my neighborhood flies the leaf. Stars and Stripes or nothing.

Damn those loose bitches from Birmingham.

Davids, it was nice to put a face to a name. Next time we'll see if we can aid in the corruption of a minor by sneaking you into Kicker's after the game.

14. hammer

hammer New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Did anything new come out of the "MLS Detroit" meeting that was supposed to have taken place at the last Bucks game? I couldn't make it. Can someone fill me in?

15. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    The meeting didn't really happen. We did speak with Dan Duggin for a few minutes. As you can imagine, he was pretty occupied after the game.

Mike's dummass got lost on the way there and didn't show up at the appointed time, which directly affected my ability to achieve a level of inebriation prior to game time because he had my beer.

16. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the information that I have gotten from Dan and others involved in the MLS Detroit movement over the last month:

Yes, my dumb ass did get a little lost, but we did get a chance to talk to Dan and a few other guys regarding the MLS in Detroit after the Bucks game on Saturday night. In a few weeks, Dan will be e-mailing me the names of some politicians who are running in the primaries who have publicly stated their support for an MLS franchise in Detroit. I will post those names when I get them so all of you can include them in your decision-making process before voting.

Right now, MLS has to stabilize with the already existing ten franchises. In 2006, the investor/operators will reassess the financial status of their franchises and decide whether to continue their support or not. I predict that the i/o's will be satisfied with growth in '06 and keep the league going forever.

At the earliest, I see expansion in 2007. Detroit is one of five or six cities that are being given serious consideration for expansion by the MLS brass. The two essential elements needed to make this dream into a reality are competent ownership and a commitment to a soccer-specific stadium.

According to Dan, most of the needed ingredients are in place for a Detroit team to exist. We simply need to be patient and wait for the league as a whole to evolve into a more acceptable state of economic well-being.

As fans, there is not a whole lot that we can do to promote the cause at this time except keep talking about it and make our uppity media aware of it.

As developments arise, I will post on this thread and call meetings if necessary.

Here's an idea:

Why don't we arrange a group outing to see the Crew and Fire play on Saturday, September 14th? We could create a large banner to promote the MLS Detroit cause, large enough to catch on camera. I'm already going and I think a few others are as well. Keep in touch everyone.

Mike

17. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    let's get serious about pick up soccer. we could even just play 2 on 2 to get in shape for the september league that Polonski, LoveFifa and I are joining...as well as others. so who's with me?

18. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Why don't you all just meet us in Naperville on the 22nd? Or be really ballsy and make both!??

If Detroit would get a team, who would make a natural rival?

I say Columbus.

19. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    Shitcago. Always has been. Always will be. But Columbus will be a good one, too.

Call it the Tri City War.

20. hammer

hammer New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Do any of you know of an over 30 league in the area? I suck, but I love to play and I am getting embarassed by 18 year olds in the open league.

21. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Metro Detroit Soccer League will have a fall over 30 league starting in September. I will be playing in it myself. As soon as I get registration info, I'll post it. There are a few other leagues in the area too, but I don't know if they offer fall leagues for the over 30's.

Mike

22. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we are there in C-Bus on the 14th...

We have rooms reserved at the new Holiday Inn express, right near CCS. If you guys are going to stay overnite.. i would say call now and make reservations... i heard OSU has a football game that weekend.. so rooms might be hard to find.

Lansing has a good 30+ league. 12 teams some good teams, some not so good... web site addy:
    http://home.attbi.com/~mmmsl/index.htm

see you in columbus.....

23. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    I GOT THE KITCHEN PASS.

Approval for a trip down to C-Bus has been granted for the 14th. I, too, plan on being there. Mike, I will get together with you to make arrangements.

24. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I can't make it to the game, high school season is in full swing at that time and I'll either have practice or a game on the 14th. Sorry guys.

25. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Broke the ball and chain?

Why do you all plan to make games I can't be at to give you some shite?

C'mon, some of you can make it the away leg in Chiga..er..Naperville, right?