Detroit MLS Expansion Megathread

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by bradd, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand, the same reaction they'd have if Gilbert didn't buy the team.. They'll claim that MLS sucks and that they will never follow the team. After a few months, most will be wearing their DCFC gear again, have made a season ticket deposit, and will be excitedly talking about their inaugural game. ;)

2. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Sounds about right.

Still hate DCFC name.

3. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    To hell with them. They've become Michigan soccer's answer to the Bernie or Bust crowd.

4. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    Any updates on how the negotiations between the County and Gilbert's company/proposal is going?

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Footsatt repped this.
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    Ummmm...not only “set back” but ended it. Detroit is done. We will never get an expansion team. No way MLS passes on us this round, and then gives us a spot in the next round with the exact same bid. We will be the largest market in the nation without an MLS team. Count on it.

8. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
  9. (They call him) RMc

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Never say never. They've got a fan base and a couple billionaires running around loose.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  10. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but none of that's worth anything unless they go back to a SSS plan. If they even can anymore. What ever happened to the jail site?

11. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    Gilbert got the jail site he planned to build the SSS on. He decided that it wasn't financially smart to build a brand new stadium a couple blocks from a perfectly good stadium in Ford Field. He is going to use the jail site to build out a huge mixed use area...Hotel, apartments, retail, office space.
    As much as I think this put the nail in the coffin of our bid forever, I can't really blame the guy. Detroit doesn't need a new stadium financed partly by taxpayers (I'm speculating on that since all new stadiums tend to have some of that)
    they need affordable housing and things that keep the city going in its upward trajectory.
    Again, we are out forever without a SSS, but as long as the city keeps bouncing back, I prefer that over an MLS team.

12. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    And Don Garber and MLS don't give a feck about that. What they do give a feck about is do you have a proper revenue generating SSS for the league? If so, and you have the right market for us, welcome aboard! If not, back of the line with you, posers! Which is what Garber told Gilbert, Gores, and the Fords. And until they get their act together, there will be no MLS team in the Motor City for the foreseeable future. They've made other cities beg, borrow and steal for a stadium. Detroit is no different.

RaisedEverywhere repped this.
  13. (They call him) RMc

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    What they do give a feck about is do you have a proper revenue generating SSS for the league?

Oh, you mean like the one in the Bronx?

14. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    Apples and oranges. Garber and Co. wanted a team in New York City proper in the worst way possible. And they got it with NYCFC acting like they're Man City's farm club. NYCFC was an exception for them as well as Miami because that's Beckham's team. Only a very few, for whatever reason, get to be an exception.

Detroit is NOT an exception. They have to get in the same way just like the rest. And that means an SSS that meets MLS requirements and satisfies Garber and Co. Just like Philadelphia did. And Portland and Orlando and Atlanta and LAFC, etc.

I have no doubt the league would welcome a market like Detroit and its rich ownership group with open arms. But not on Gilbert, Gores, and Ford's terms with Ford Field as is.

15. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    A SSS is not happening in Detroit. And thats not necessarily a bad thing. Taxpayers financing a stadium for billionaires is comical. I'm not really sure why people keep talking about a SSS like its a possibility. So MLS in Detroit is not happening.

16. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    It wouldn't be a bad thing if Gilbert, Gores, and even the Fords were to chip in 100% for a new SSS on the jail site. Other than that, you are quite correct.

17. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Honestly, I can't imagine a SSS being built now when they have the option to increase the utilization rate of Ford Field. It just makes more economic sense than to build a new stadium. It doesn't look like a bad place to play soccer, and you would never have to worry about early and late season weather.

18. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    But would they be motivated to do so at this point?

19. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're telling me that his plan worked to perfection. He got gifted prime real estate for development and sabotaged his own MLS plans so he didn't have to worry about running a sports team.

20. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not convinced that MLS just isn't going to happen in Detroit. Maybe they aren't next in line for a team since Gilbert and Co aren't keen on building a SSS but I cant help but think that the league would really want to be in a huge market with strong support for sports teams. I would think Detroit would be more enticing to the league than Cincinnati or Nashville even.....those cities are just prepared more. Theres enough vacant or underused land in central Detroit that a stadium could happen somewhere else if Gilbert doesnt actually want it as part of his jail site project.

What about Gores? Is it possible that some of these big names are still interested in having a team....if they can come up with some other kind of acceptable stadium solution?

21. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    Your question is confusing. Gilbert decided there wasnt a need for a 4th stadium in downtown detroit. Do I blame him? no. Detroit is a HUGE market and it would be silly for MLS to pass on them because they didn't commit to a SSS.

22. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Gilbert used the prospect of building a SSS for a new MLS team to stop a jail from being built around a bunch of his Downtown Detroit properties. That jail would have hurt the property value of all his land. After getting the land he wanted he brought the Ford family onboard and switched from building his own to just using Ford Field knowing that MLS would not be ok with it. He sabotaged his own bid because all he wanted was the land.

RedRover repped this.
  23. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    While I can't dispute your claim, you also can't prove it. We have no clue what was behind Gilbert making the switch from a SSS to Ford Field. We can assume, and I've assumed the same things as you, but we truly don't know. That said, building a 4th stadium in a condensed downtown area seems illogical. Taxpayer money would have somehow been involved too, so I think not building one is the way to go. No need to use public money to make billionaires more money.

24. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

RaisedEverywhere repped this.
  25. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    And if that's the case - and I wouldn't doubt it given Gilbert's reputation for being a snake - doesn't he owe a face to face explanation to the Detroit soccer community, those who had high hopes of an MLS team in the Motor City, as to why he played bait and switch with the stadium site? While being hooked up to a lie detector so as to face their wrath because of the truth he'd be forced to spill out?