Detroit Ignition

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Steamer, Apr 19, 2006.

1. patmc16

patmc16 New Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Michigan
    While there have been a few articles recently, I don't see any of them calling it the "biggest party in town." I do see the latest Detroit News article stressing how expensive it will be.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060420/SPORTS07/604200347/1136

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060407/SPORTS07/604070334/1133/SPORTS0203

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060420/SPORTS18/604200552/1066/SPORTS

2. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    patmc16, thanks for posting the links.

It is a bit concerning that the Detroit News was already (in a way) questioning the price of the least expensive ticket.

3. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Hello everyone. I just wanted to chime in on a couple points. First off, I am excited that big time indoor soccer is coming back to Detroit. I have fond memories of being fifteen and gathering with friends at different houses and imitating Drago moves in the basement after the games (remember how the midfield logo used to glow in the dark during introductions? I was easily impressed I suppose). Later, when I had a car, we'd make it out to Grand Rapids and catch the Rockers' one game per season at Van Andel Arena.

As far as the new organization goes, they chose the right arena to play in and they have a fantastic(!) badge/logo for an indoor soccer team. However, the ticket prices are simply a bad idea. I suppose they are looking to tap into that upper-class, youth soccer club market that is so prevelant in places like Novi and some of the northern 'burbs. Unfortunately, they are squeezing out the middle class families and the casual fans. That is a shame, because when I'm with family out there for the holidays and spring break, it will be almost impossible to bring any casual fans or family members with me. There is no way they will pay 22 dollars for an indoor game. I'm a soccer nut and I can't justify making it out to anymore than one game at that price.

So, what do we do? Has anyone written the franchise a letter?

4. Capt. Chaos

Capt. Chaos Member

Chicago Fire & Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2005
    Way out in the land of the setting sun
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Well, i can pretty much say that everyone thinks that detroit is setting too high a price for tickets. Chicago's tickets this season were $17 & $20 (last season they were between $8 - $25) Milwaukee is cheap aswell and so is St. louis. What, I think the highest price around the league is $30 for a seat?!?

And to you being a Mechanics and Mustangs fan I have this to say.

GO CHICAGO HOUNDS and GO ELGIN RACERS!

p.s.- What are the odds Detroit uses R.Kelly's- Ignition song for player intro.

5. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    I'd prefer the Dave Chappelle parody of it, but I guess it wouldn't fit a family atmosphere...."Haters wanna hate, lovers wanna love. I really want none of the above, I want to....."you get the drift.

6. patmc16

patmc16 New Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Michigan
    Good luck to the Hounds. Good Name, good logo, great arena (based on the virtual tour) but.... lousey owners. All indications are that the Richmond Riverdogs will officially go defunct as soon as the playoffs are over and the owners will transfer their franchise to Chicago. Actually, I don't think they are called owners. So much that I have read about them recently refers to them as "scumbag owners", so I'm guessing simply "owners" doesn't do.

7. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Those people (Eric Margeneau and partners) have owned over a dozen teams in hockey and arena football (and maybe baseball). It seems like he buys a team and either sells it or folds it after 2 or 3 years. I don't know if he is making money flipping teams or if he just gets bored easily. He's probably owned more than half the UHL teams at one time or another.

8. Capt. Chaos

Capt. Chaos Member

Chicago Fire & Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2005
    Way out in the land of the setting sun
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Oh ya, this is news I wanted to hear. A douchebag ownership that sticks around for 2-3 years only. I will still buy a flex plan but I dont know about buying merchandise now. But for some reason I think they will stick around, too bad Chicago Wolves attendence will go down now I suspect. Anyways all I care about is beating the Rockford Queerhogs.