Dest & Yedlin

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Joe Kurr, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He lets himself down? First of all, you are speaking in English footie cliche (hope you are English). Second, he plays defense in the EPL and even if his team isn't very good, he defends against very very good teams and is rarely burned.

sXeWesley and DHC1 repped this.
  2. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snobbery in what competition, the one between Yedlin and Cannon to hold Dest's jock?

Dest is already at a level right now that neither Yedlin or Cannon will ever reach. If there is a difference in the margin of their defensive abilities, it is slight. Whereas the difference in every other aspect of their games, is a vast chasm between Dest and the other two.

Your highlighting of the assist stats last year makes no sense either, Cannon got all the minutes because Yedlin was injured and Dest hadn't been called up and Dest still had as many assists as Cannon, in a third as many minutes. Dest is also 2.5 years younger than Cannon.

The frame of this discussion alone highlights the difference, no one has a problem slotting Dest in at LB because he is good enough to play there, not a single person is advocating that Cannon or Yedlin play on the left so that Dest, the superior player can play in his natural position, why is that?

As for Yedlin and Cannon, they should continue battling it out as I don't see much separating them at the moment. Yedlin has been injured and has big holes in his game, but he has been doing fine at a much higher level than MLS and lest we forget, the last time we were in a world cup, he was terrific for us, whereas the next actually meaningful game Cannon plays in will be his first.

I would be curious to see Dest play on the wing with CP at the 10, or vice versa, instead of Lleget/Roldan/McKinnie/Aaronson or whomever else. I just don't see how we can play Dest anywhere but LB if the next option is Lovitz. Hopefully a genuine LB like Robinson or Gloster can break through to a Cannon/Yedlin level so we could try moving Dest around.

bballshawn repped this.
  3. Sbey17

Sbey17 Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Australia
    Jan 20, 2020
    Haha what particularly makes that an English football cliche? Him rarely getting burned is the point I'm making club level is much more frenetic so his pace gets him out of trouble a lot of times. At international level different situations arise, where perhaps you need to concentrate more rather than relying on your speed.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    "he let himself down" is English cliche

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    All 3 are good. Damn good.

6. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two are good, one is damn good.

dams repped this.
  7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I don't think there is any question that in a three way battle for a single right back spot, Dest wins this with ease. The real question is if Dest or either of the others are able to play well enough on the left to improve the overall team since we have little to nothing at left back. And further, if it is worth moving Dest to the left and lessening the effect of one of our best players to provide more solid cover on the let. But, no way Cannon or Yedlin are better right backs than Dest today and that gap will only grow over the next few years.

Ghost, DHC1 and sXeWesley repped this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    In YA, an apparently very credible source has Dest going to Bayern Munich this summer. If so, wow, did that pro-active dual national strategy finally pay huge dividends.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Would move Yedlin and Chandler into right-midfield/wing-forward. Yedlin would play his deep-lying winger role. Dest and Cannon would be the right backs.

That's the entire right side sorted through the World Cup. Maybe Gressel gets his papers in time to make a run.

Pulisic and Antonee Robinson would be the obvious starters at LM and LB, respectively. There's not much depth at LB, though. Is that Finnish-American player any good? What happened to Marco Farfan? Maybe Vine comes good.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't rate Yedlin for the NT, neither do I rate Robinson yet. I'd put him there out of necessity only.

Dest/Cannon would be my #1/#2 choices on the right. On the left, we have nothing. Lovitz is terrible. So it'd be Antonee/Lichaj/Ream, depending on the rival and whether we want to attack on that side or mostly defend.

We have no one who can play LB well enough against strong competition, though. On the right, we're pretty much set. And we're lucky the only team in the region playing good soccer is Mexico.

11. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My team 4-3-3 Defensive / Counter Attack

GK: Zack Steffen
    RB: DeAndre Yedlin
    CB: Matt Besler
    CB: John Brooks
    CB: Sergiño Dest

CMF: Tyler Adams
    CMF: Michael Bradley
    CMF: Weston McKennie

LW: Jordan Morris
    FW: Jozy Altidore
    RW: Christian Pulisic

Subs

Tim Melia

Greg Garza
    Walker Zimmerman
    Matt Miazga
    Nick Lima

Sacha Kljestan
    Jackson Yueill
    Djordje Mihailovic

Tim Weah
    Christian Ramirez
    Paul Arriola
    Ethan Finlay

12. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I like the idea, but Guzan for the sub keeper, Holmes for one of your subs, and how can you omit Sargent entirely? Is that an injury thing?