Dest (start): Ajax v. APOEL, UCL, 8/28

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by ArsenalMetro, Aug 28, 2019.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    dest still putting himself in dangerous attacking positions. his team really could stand looking for him a bit more

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Have we really made it to 85' without an Ajax sub?

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Your post has me wondering - is Pulisic underrated by BS USA fans? This isn't meant to be an attack either, but genuinly curious if we're a bit jaded by concentrating on him so much.

Pulisic, to me, is the most technical kid we've ever had, current or past, and his touch is at a world class level. Dest's is good...but I wouldn't have put it in the same ball park as Pulisic's, so that's what surprised me.

4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    oh man announcers with a scathing review of alvarezs performance at the sub 'i dont know...good enough for apoel'

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    1166814613910036482 is not a valid tweet id

6. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Pulisic’s touch is world class. Dest has better feet and ball control to me.

ETA: but to be sure, there isn’t a lot in it either way. I’m not putting down Pulisic. I’m touting Dest. I think he’s probably a top 3 or 4 player in the US pool already.

russ repped this.
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest cannot beat his man when he wants. He had struggled in that dept against men up until this game, possessing the close control, but not the burst of a Pulisic, or even the moves.

And his passing has been relatively conservative. Pulisic is a weak long passer, and erratic in his area, but he is aggressive and can be nifty. Making him a far more creative player than Dest.

Hopefully Dest has turned a corner today in terms of his creativity, but it's a one-game sample. The runs, 1 v. 1 defense, and keeping possession amid congestion has been what's actually been consistent for him and you can classify as strengths ATM.

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    We can debate it in a different thread, but respectfully disagree, and totally get that you're not downplaying Pulisic.

I do love Dest, but I'd like to see him go up against better defenders. The thing with Christian, is that he's done this against the BL, the likes of Real Madrid in the Champion's League, and now Premiership defenders who are generally better than the rest of the world.

9. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Dest has better 1v1 face up moves than pulisic not really a question imo.

dougtee repped this.
  10. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is a terrible argument of tiny degrees between two extremely talented players...but there are questions. there are complete disagreements.

two years ago pulisic was i THINK top (but possibly only top five) in the bundisliga in take ons/successful dribbles. at people.

WheezingUSASupport and Woodrow repped this.
  11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Major props to Dest. I gave him a 7.5 on the night for his play at both ends of the pitch. He very well might be the starting RB going forward.

12. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Folks should keep in mind that Pulisic generally is playing in an advanced position, starting wide, but often coming into the middle of the park where he is surrounded by defenders. Successfully beating players up the middle, in my book, gets the edge every time. That's not to take anything away from Dest. He's young and the jury is still out whether he can keep doing his thing against higher level competition. I'd take his start at right back in critical UCL qualifier, and generally strong performance as an indication not only of the managers faith in him, but also his promise as an attacking right back.

13. Corrected your post. Heavy fines if you're caught selling booze to an u18.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I am the lone defender of Fabio running inside from the RB!