Despite a Poor MLS Season but with a U.S Open Cup Win, Was This Season a Success For Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by LuiFern, Oct 2, 2018.

1. LuiFern

LuiFern Member

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Aug 13, 2018
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fan Perspective: no, failing to make the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years renders the season as unsuccessful. Especially coming off of a playoff year. USOC win is nice and fun but did DC United consider their 2013 disaster of a season as a success because they won the Open Cup? They won more Open Cup games than MLS games that year.

FO/Ownership Perspective: show me the Forever Orange LLC 2018 statement of cash flows and that will give you the answer

CeltTexan and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  3. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    if you look at it from a balance sheet perspective then this season was a bust.

pros:
    Manotas
    USOC
    El Batallon
    sold Cubo and recouped some $

cons:
    no playoffs
    no jersey sponsor
    declining season tix base
    declining butts in seats
    little local media interest (print, radio, bloggers)
    doubtful future as recent acquisitions have been busts
    no foreseeable playas at Toros or in the academy
    it's a football town and Rockets/Astros are knocking it out of the park
    Texian Army
    misspent Cubo money
    poor customer service
    parking has a been a mess due to construction (not Dynamo's fault)
    no sizzle of an exciting World Cup
    no playoffs for Dash
    in-state rival (FCD) has been better these past years
    i'm tired of typing

CeltTexan, El Naranja, Borrachin and 3 others repped this.
  4. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    4th season out of the last 5 with no playoffs in a league where missing the playoffs consistently is pretty damn hard (plus last year were extremely lucky to make the playoffs thanks to Vincente Sanchez playing out of his mind in the last 4-6 games of the year).

Plus can cite all the stuff Rey mentions. No, not a successful season. Just another painful memory in the recent history of painful memory. Last 5 seasons, this team has been awful.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSsoccer.com has a form chart or game log of results expressed in color coded form. From game 12 thru 27 this season, the Dynamo were 2-11-3. It’s hard to have a stretch like that and consider it a successful year unless you blow it out the other 18 games. Outside of San Jose, our 11 game winless streak (some ties) was longest in the league.

Sorry, that’s not just Cabezas being injured.

6. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explain EB and TA further pls.

7. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pros:
    Mauro ********ing Manotas breaking team records left and right!
    Lifting the USOC
    Fans starting to wake up to the BS this FO is trying to sell us

Con:
    FO showing they are a bunch of potatoes
    Our Defense
    Fan attendance
    season ticket holder drops

DynamoManiac repped this.
  8. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will only be a successful season if Cabrera and Canetti get fired. I have seen enough of Cabrera to know that there is nothing there. And how the hell is this team worthless playing away year after year.

9. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes this has been probably an all time low in away point (did not fact check), but historically we have been bad. In saying that, doesn't mean it is ok. Just not expecting us to even have mediocre away results right now.

Borrachin repped this.
  10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I checked.
    Away games record:

2006 - 17 pts/16 games, 1.06 PPG, 3 wins
    2007 - 24/15, 1.60 PPG, 7 wins
    2008 - 17/15, 1.13 PPG, 3 wins
    2009 - 18/15, 1.20 PPG, 5 wins
    2010 - 12/15, 0.80 PPG, 3 wins
    2011 - 15/17, 0.88 PPG, 2 wins
    2012 - 14/17, 0.82 PPG, 3 wins
    2013 - 20/17, 1.18 PPG, 5 wins
    2014 - 11/17, 0.65 PPG, 3 wins
    2015 - 11/17, 0.65 PPG, 2 wins
    2016 - 12/17, 0.71 PPG, 2 wins
    2017 - 10/17, 0.59 PPG, 1 win
    2018 - 8/14, 0.57 PPG, 1 win

AVERAGE: 0.90 PPG, 3 wins per season
    The Dynamo need a road win in the last three games to move this season above 2017 as the worst ever.

*rey*, naranjableeder and DynamoManiac repped this.
  11. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you been to the games? That should be all the explanation needed.

12. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit, worse than I thought! lol

Thanks Andy!

*rey* repped this.
  13. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    The answer is simple. No.

The issue for me is time and the last year and half. Last year, Matt Jordan and Wilmer Cabrera hit the player acquisition trifecta. They found three exceptional players (Elis, Quito, and Cabezas) and got them into the team. Surround those three with what Houston already had (Manotas/Cubo, DMB) and mix in a few other acquisitions (AJDLG, Machado, Leonardo) and you had the backbone of a young extremely talented quality attacking team. IMHO after about May when it became apparent Mauro was growing up, off-loading Cubo - I think it was pretty obvious to all Dynamo fans that the Quito-Manotas-Elis front line was as good as any in MLS.

So instead of seizing the day and pushing their chips all in, they went Houston Dynamo on it. DP Tomas Martinez. A solid player, but not a DP and definitely still not a #10. They added Senderos making an old injury prone backline older and more injury prone. Then they signed Feunmayor and Lundquist both to costly deals in terms of tying up cap space and being misses. Mix in a few more MLS misses (like Alvarez and Ceren) and you have the current team.

While I am happy this team won the Open Cup, I am mindful that with Houston's scouting budget and their lack of financial outlay for a big DP - this was a huge missed opportunity for a year and a half.

The team's attacking talent is good enough to get them to a Western Conference final and win an Open Cup. The rest of the team's talent is so bad that it whiffed on the playoffs by a huge margin.

So yeah, hurrah Open Cup. That's great.. But the team pissed away a two year window where it could have done so much more merely by:
    1. Sign a legit DP #10.
    2. Being better about its defensive acquisitions.

14. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    W in TF! It’s not like we’re in the Premiership or Bundesliga where winning away is difficult. How hard can playing in Columbus or Philadelphia be.

naranjableeder repped this.
  15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    At MLSNHtown,

In my most humblest opinion I think you’re over rating Quioto, Manotas, and Elis.

Quioto - there’s seems to be an underlying attitude/mental issue. will stay in MLS or ship back to Honduras

Manotas - inproved but still flawed. MLS or lower table Columbian team.

Elis - MLS, Scandinavia or English Championship.

Im not saying these are terrible players, I’m just saying I’m not buying what the Dynamo/Canetti/Matt Jordan/Webb/Jay the ticket rep is trying to sell me.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  16. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    We aren't going to score 70 goals like Atlanta, but those three with an elite DP #10 behind them and their pace and the 50 goals scored so far this year approaches 60.

You are 100% correct on Quito with an underlying attitude/metal issue. I think he forces his exit this year. Elis is exceptional for an MLS winger. Speed kills. If you put him up against elite outside backs that speed advantage goes away. Since it's most of all he has right now, you aren't wrong that he may struggle in other leagues - but he's still an elite attacking winger by MLS standards.

I'm not saying that I think any of them go on to great things. Just that by MLS standards, they are a very good collection of talent. They are young, and mobile. Which is why if you did put an elite DP #10 behind them the team would take off.

Westside Cosmo and DynamoManiac repped this.
  17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Don't forget Turkey and Greece for Elis.

*rey* repped this.
  18. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very well said! I do believe that there is only maybe one or two teams in the MLS pound for pound better or equal to our attacking three. Atlanta being better, but once you get beyond that it drops off so far in talent that it is mind boggling.

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 Westside Cosmo, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    As much as crap on the Dynamo, I’ve been consistent since last year that the frontline is good enough to win in MLS. Dynamo actually have a reverse problem from most of MLS in that the frontline is set but behind them needs the work.

And that hurts multiple ways: 1) we give up too many goals; 2) if there’s is no good #10, the frontline has to create by turnovers or dropping back too far on D to get ball and 3) tactically teams have neutered us because they know we can’t build up from the back.

Lastly, do we have the most defenders on the roster of any team in MLS? And we can’t ever get a good 4 in the back!!! We got all these “veterans” and yet we’ve had to play Wenger at fullback multiple times

*rey* repped this.
  20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve had some moderate length drives this week around the area, I decided to listen to the Gen Orange Radio show against my better judgement to pass some time. The last 15 minutes is a discussion of the Dynamo that is filled with questionable observations that border on the absurd. It’s delusional to the point that it seems staged. These guys are like the soccer version of Lyndon LaRouche supporters.

One guy thought in the future we wouldn’t need to spend much on outside players because we have the development pipeline set up thru the Academy and RGV to teach them the Dynamo Way (because we’ve generated so much internal talent this far) There was another claim about how we are seeing the fruits of great scouting; yet another rant about how this team doesn’t suck because you can’t suck and win the Open Cup (I guess that 3 win 2013 DC United team was just extraordinarily unlucky outside of the USOC); how the Dynamo have just had a series of unfortunate occurances this year; we spent 7-8 million on Elis and 9-10 million overall; etc.

The best is when they claim the negative reddit opinions about the team are based on poor education and understanding about MLS!!!! Apparently being 16th in the table is more valuable than 1st. We have 35 points thru 30 games!!! Didn’t win for 11 games!!! I don’t need a UEFA “A” License to know that ain’t good.

naranjableeder repped this.
  21. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do the retarded ones get the voice on podcasts and live streams? Glenn Davis can be a homer from time to time (we all can), but if he see us shitting an egg he will call us a chicken...

22. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...if the original hosts were listening to that they'd blow a gasket. My how things change....

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Most successful season in 11 years if you count trophies

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we win the Carolina Challenge Cup or Desert Diamond Cup the same year we won the BBVA Compass Charities Cup? Those count, right?

naranjableeder and Heft repped this.
  25. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey we've won a couple Eastern Championships in the interim.

It's not the poor season, or string of them, per se that has everyone fired up. It's the lack of investment from ownership, cluelessness from the FO, mind-numbing trades and signings that show a lack of vision from staff, and the near f-you level attitude towards fans, supporters, charities...basically those a normal club relies on to spread the good word.

If those weren't issues, we wouldn't be seeing the level of 'who cares' from everyone.

naranjableeder, Heft and Westside Cosmo repped this.