Desperate Firefox fanboys going for a campaign with a condom

Discussion in 'Technology' started by noaihmtch, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would be surprised at the amount of people who have no idea that there are other web browsers out there. They just think that IE is all there is cause it is there on their desktop when they boot up.

IE due to its being "intergrated" ie:tyed to the OS, makes it very easy to use as a tool to takeover a users PC.

Opera is a good browser, I hated Netscape 4.x, but they started down the right path again starting with 6.x It still isn't as good as Mozilla, even though they use the same Gecko engine, Netscape put too much of their crap on it.

Firefox is a good browser.

The other thing that helped IE was lazy web designers. If they put out crap code, IE would still read it. But Netscape wouldn't. Part of that was the crappy Frontpage sites that were put out. But people wanted easy and said screw the security.

For the record, I am in the process of getting my MCSE, then will pursue my CCNA and CCNP. Beyond those I would like to get my Linux certs. Not sure if I will pursue RHCE or LPT first. Anyone with suggestions there?

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Web designers put out crap code. IE reads it, non-MS does not. Part of that you said is due to frontpage.

Sound familiar??

3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    has anyone else Mozilla fvcked up over the weekend????

I cant get the damn thing to work....
    totally non responsive!!!
    I.E works but mozilla just freezes and I cant access any of the toolbar options or see any page load. just a blank white screen.

(and no im not hamatachi before anyone asks)

any ideas???

[​IMG]

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    problem solved..
    i must have installed a badly written extension.
    I opened it in safe mode and removed afew extensions.

5. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RHCE is known for being extremely difficult. It's expensive as well. But what I've seen, RHCE holds a lot of weight, and gives the holder instant credibility. The reason for this is that it is a long test that involves both answering multiple choice / true/false questions, but also requires successful completion of hands-on exercises.

The LPT test is easier, and cheaper. The good thing about it is that it is vendor neutral, whereas the RHCE is Red Hat specific. LPT still is held in fairly high regards, but nothing compared to RHCE.

All that said, experience is held in much higher regards than any kind of certs. In fact, certs have been dropping in credibility. Employers have learned that certs only mean the holder could pass a test, and doesn't prove the holder can be productive in their environment.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have the exp. lacking in the education area, and i am choosing certs over college cause I have a family and certs can be achieved quicker.

You mentioned exactly why I want to pursue the RHCE cause it is a hands on as well as written test. I intend to get the LPT first because it is distro netural. The reason I want to pursue Red Hat's cert is cause most companies who use Linux use Red hat.

Thank you for the feedback. One thing I have learned is that the more versatile you are the better.

7. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    If you have an option to choose then you really should choose college over certs.. Certs alone don't worth much and lacking a degree will/may limit your career. Certs should be used to backup your degree and experience.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will have to look into a mangeable way to attend classes while working and still raise a family.

I agree that there is a need for college, but I cannot find a good way to fit it into my life. I do not want to miss out on my kids growing up.

Perhaps getting my certs, then taking 1 class at a time may work.

Thanks for the input.

9. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    blah blah blah. That picture proved linux zealots are dying to surf on the internet with IE. Tell me one good reason why would I be a closet Red Hat user? I have no reason to force myself to vomit using linux crap whatever. Why the hell the mods should ip ban me for only coming here and sharing a true story? I'm not sure what your problem is but you really stop posting this kind of **************** and see a doctor.

Shame shame

10. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    Let me paraphrase this on your behalf. "Mods!! Please!! Please ban him!! I hate this guy!! He's just too much!! I don't want anyone to see my crying face anymore!!"

Now, don't be so upset. There's a very nice feature on BS that sets you free from pain. Put me on your ignore list if you can't accept the fact I outsmart you everytime I reply.

Blow me

11. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the proof that IE is superior?

BTW - Answers like "it just is" or "because I said so" and other similar lines don't even come close to counting. I'd like to see news sites (CNN, MSNBC, tech sites, etc.) please.

Thanks. Have a nice day. :)

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know... ignoring the trolls always works. And it's a lot easier on me.

13. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I take back my statement that you should be IP banned. Just because you troll and have a different opinion does not mean you should be banned. It's all good.

Besides, I really, really, really really enjoy watching you hang yourself! :)

As for being a closet Red Hat user - you shouldn't be in the closet about it - Red Hat is a damn fine distro of a damn fine OS (Linux). So just admit it to yourself - you love Linux! You'll feel much better if you do.

I mean, posting a screenshot that clearly shows a Red Hat / Gnome based desktop with Red Hat's Bluecurve theme and icons strongly suggests that you are an absolutely huge Linux user. So you've revealed to the world how much you love Linux and Firefox and how you use them all the time. Just be happy about it, and leave your MS withdrawl symptoms behind.

14. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool - complimenting your skills and experience with certs is a great way to go.

Personally, I've gone with community college certs (to go with my 4 year BA degree) to complement my experience, because I like the classroom experience, and doing exercises/homework. But I've considered certs, and RHCE is one of them. But I lean more to the development side of things. I don't want Java or .Net certs, I prefer C++ or C, and perhaps some web based stuff like PHP or Perl.

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a new laptop in Feb of this year and downloaded the usual programs to keep it clean: Ad-aware, Spybot, RegCleaner, etc. I have Zone Alarm up, and I run Norton once a month because it's just smart to do, but I hadn't run Ad-aware or Spybot since I downloaded them three months ago. This weekend I decided to run 'em both just to see what I had on my system after three months. Nothing. Not a single thing. No adware, no spyware, nothing. Think that my exclusive use of Firefox might have something to do with this? I do.

16. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There three technical reasons for that:

1. IE is tied into the internals of the Windows kernel, giving outsiders direct access to the services of the OS. Firefox does not tie into the Windows kernel, running in a "sandbox".

2. IE supports ActiveX, a commong MS standard to make software modular, interoperable, and able to activate itself on other machines. Adware and spyware typically uses ActiveX. Firefox does not support ActiveX.

3. IE does not block pop-ups. Pop-ups is another way outside crackers can activate stuff on your machine. Firefox does block pop-ups.

I can just see noaihmtch responding with "that's all technical bullsh!t - IE is just better, whaaaaaahhh!". :D :rolleyes:

17. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a rhetorical question. ;)

18. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I think that going to college works for some and not for others.

I've had the pleasure of meeting two individuals who worked very hard to finosh college. One of them was a mechanic with a wife and three kids and had to go to night school for 14 years (yes, 14 years!) to get his undergraduate degree in CS. He told me that sometimes he would skip a semester or take only one class per semester in order to raise his family. The other dude I met started working in shipping and receiving at Cisco and eventually climbed the ladder, got his degree and is now a manager in their Technical Assistance Center. Both of them are proud of their accomplishments and are doing well.

On the other hand, I've met some very competant sysadmins and network administrators who have never completed college and have no intention to. They just started at the very bottom of the IT food chain (helpdesk anybody?) and worked their way up. I suppose once you get enough experience to pad your resume with and you can demonostrate how well you can solve problems hands-on, you should be okay.

Of course, now that the job market is changing and a lot of engineering and IT jobs are headed to India, I don't know what is the best course of action these days. :eek:

19. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    Are you alright? :confused:

20. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    Yes it was, but someone could not resist initiating preemptive attack against his superior counterpart, the IE/Windows users.

21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Preemptive" would imply you didn't initiate this entire thread.

22. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it was a rhetorical question. ;)

I just wanted to explain it for the Premium Hamatachi's of the world. :)

23. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    No, you did not. After all you are just a desperate Firefox fanoboy with a condom. Be a man and admit your defeat.

Please

24. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the internet is dangerous sex, then firefox is the condom, right?

25. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    Firefox, OpenOffice, Ipod... After all these MS wannabe copycats are serving their master, Windows, quite well.