design plans for PGE Park

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by bright, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/01/14/pge-park-negotiations-delayed-at-least-one-more-week/

2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed, that place was a ********ing shithole that deserved to burn to the ground. im glad that place and all the cokehead douche bags that called it home is gone.

anyways, the current layout sucks for soccer, its true. the pitch is a mile away from the stands and it makes it difficult to watch sometimes. the beer garden is a great place to get wasted, but people (including me) usually arent down there to watch the game. this will change with the renovation. the field will get pushed right up as close as it can be, it will make a HUGGEEE difference. instead of being 30+ feet away from the field on the north and west sides, you will probably be 10-15. the east side will come right down to the pitch. sadly the beer garden will be gone, no more thirsty thursdays :(

i wish they would move the benches to the west side of the field. it sucks for coaches because the sun shines straight into their eyes sometimes.

3. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/01/no_pge_park_deal_yet.html

4. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the latest on the final financial agreement between the City of Portland and Merritt Paulson?

6. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    There negotiations still going on involving who gets the risk for the sewer line that goes under PGE Park which i believe is the last issue that needs to be dealt with.

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lift station is basically a big collection well where the sewage drains into a wet well chamber and the sewage is periodically pumped out of it. A force main is a sewage main that is under pressure from the outlet of a lift station to it's drain point.

More than that, its really bad practice since you are now forced to treat stormwater as well as "brownwater" which drives up the cost of your water treatment and forces you to build larger treatment facilities to handle the massive flow from storm events.

The disaster was having the thing built over a combined sewer.

The fact that it's still a combined sewer isn't really going to alleviate the problem.

Well, it can potentially be a huge deal in the case of a larger than normal storm event or something causes a stoppage of flow down stream. It can get messy in a hurry and if there is sufficient head pressure to cause the failure under a building, it can rapidly wash the soil out from under a building and cause it to become unstable.

Interesting that you know where I used to live. Another fan/stalker.

That being said, it's two entirely different problems. Portland (and dozens of other large cities) purposely mixed rainwater from stormdrains and sewers and let it flow into creeks and rivers, until we found out that that was a bad thing that made people sick. The problem you discovered in Norman is that in 100+ year old sewer mains, you get a lot of water infiltration because of cracks or the natural degradation of the type of material that was used to build the sewer and it wasn't until the 1970's that new construction across the US required sewer back flow preventers which alleviates the back up issue until the storm flow passes.

If you must know, the City of Norman has spent a great deal of money over the last 10 years or so since I left, and for a few years while I was working there, to replace a lot of the 50+ year old brick and cast iron sewer mains with modern pipe that has an expected 200 year lifespan as well as install backflow prevention valves on sewers coming out of houses.

Nice try on being clever, but the problem you tried to point out wasn't the same thing and Norman didn't try to mix shit water with rain water so they wouldn't have to build a separate storm sewer.

You can send me a PM and ID yourself if you have the stones.

8. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been reported that the sewer stuff has been settled. There are other details they are working through now. The hearing for the finalized agreement is not on any upcoming agenda, so we don't know how much longer it will take. Once the hearing is set, the vote will take place a week after.

9. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A hearing has been scheduled with the Portland Bureau of Development Services Design Commission for February 18th to review the submitted designs.

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?c=51861

10. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's listed as an upcoming item on the January 27th agenda now.

The PGE Park Comprehensive Transportation Management Plan and Good Neighborhood Agreement are on the February 10th agenda.

http://www.portlandonline.com/auditor/index.cfm?c=26998

11. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story_2nd.php?story_id=126375294187122600

12. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  13. Couverite

Couverite Guest

Okay, Chief Changes Name Semiannually - my name is Clayton Hanson as most of the longtime Sounders fans know. I don't know you except what I read on this site and you certainly don't know me. However, how you honestly think a person who has read this site for six years and posted on it for five wouldn't know the identity of one of its most prolific posters is, frankly, baffling. On the other hand, it's flattering, I guess (?), that my troll was well enough designed that you somehow think I'm part of your own personal Gang of Four or something. Of course, an FYI, your posting style is pretty distinctive so a few name changes doesn't exactly hide anything. The idea of full anonymity can die in a fire, am I right? :rolleyes:

As to the troll, you realize the continued existence of combined sewers and the flooding basements is fundamentally the same issue of underinvestment in infrastructure even if it presents itself in different guises. They are both 100ish year-old systems and cities are, by and large, cheapskates - I'm surprised you don't know this as someone in your business. But if you want to get all high and mighty about your home state, more power to you.

14. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I probably wouldn't have to keep changing my name if people would stop calling me up in the middle of the night to let me know my team lost, showing up at the section I'm in at their team's stadium to fight me, or spending the time to find out where I go to church, then claiming that I've terrorized them on the internet and they're afraid I'm going to kill them.

Funny that they would do that instead of you know, calling the police. But I digress.

Popularity is a curse sometimes.

Well, you did think well enough to look up where you thought I lived, though you tried to equate a problem concerning the age of a system with the consequences of a bad idea (mixing storm & sanitary sewers) and continuing to do the same thing and simply building in additional and unnecessary costs. Funny, the whole west coast thinks their leaders on this sustainability thing and they keep doing the same stupid stuff over and over.

Did they ever track down those Earth First commandos that were burning down homes up there?

Well, for the most part, the long timers know who I am and I know who they are and generally know the boundary, unless you're a bunch of pissy Koreans angry about a picture of Scooby Doo telling them to "Eat Me" about posting a person's information for them on the internet.

Not really since the majority of the "basement" flooding is caused by the aging of the best available system at the time, combined with a lot of people who don't modernize the private side of their sewer systems when they replace them. I guess they really think they're saving money by not paying the $20 permit to have it inspected and the $30 for the backflow preventer. Then again, basements are hardly common in Norman in any house built after 1940, so it's not really that big of a problem.

Now let's contrast that with the cockeyed idea that you should ever combine stormwater and sewage. I mean, yeah, when you're not treating it and letting drain out into where you get your drinking water or someone else's drinking water, we'll cholera isn't that deadly and so what if a hundred or two people die from cryptosporidium, but with the new system that is being planned, to simply keep doing the same thing and spend millions of dollars to build a facility to unnecessarily treat water that should be allowed to either be absorbed into the water table or go out into a stream and continue to spend millions in rate fees to treat said water, because you're keeping it mixed with sewage doesn't seem to be "underinvestment", it seems to be a bad investment

It's funny that you say that, because Portland is spending 10 times in a new facility and ongoing treatment costs than what they would save by separating the storm and sanitary sewers.

At least we're not purposely mixing stormwater with shitwater.

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The shit rendering was from Portland, check the first post in this thread.

18. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But still a shitty rendering.

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it wasn't a public presentation, you shouldn't expect a fully rendered product.

20. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't really care if it was public or not, i just stated my opinion on the shitty image.

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're concerned about internet stalkers enough that you're changing your username, perhaps you should stop giving out personal information about yourself? Not to mention the whole confirming who you are when others mention it.. Kind of defeats the purpose of changing your username.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you start writing the checks for them, you're opinion will probably count for a lot more.

They haven't always been by choice. Sometimes it's been "highly suggested" by management around here because some people can't stick to a discussion in a thread and start rehashing discussions from other threads or go all rivalries when responding to certain posters. IOW - Typical BigSoccer Mom's Basement Dwellers. Then again, I don't care too much about it anymore since pretty much everyone that knows about it now thinks it pretty funny that people get upset about what I write about other people's teams.
    I don't believe that I have since I stopped using my name, but the cat's pretty much out of the bag with anyone who's been on here more than 3 years, but that's about the tipping point when people either get banned for stupidity or grow up and learn that it's just not all that serious how someone talks about your favorite team or player or city.

Thanks to a BigSoccer Scubdown of all but about 3 threads, pretty much every post that confirmed my identity is long gone, though the crashes help with that too. Couverite tried hard, but ultimately, poorly to tie two massively different issues together and go a bit rivalries. I'm sure he wanted a long rant, kind of like you guys always give when someone launches about the turf in Qwest, but I really didn't have the time, nor the desire to do anything but point out his fallacies.

If he would have really wanted a true equivalency, he would have pointed out the combined sewers of Chicago and their problems in dealing with the same issue.

23. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is a public forum, no one says that the opinions here should count to anyone (not for you at least). I was expressing my opinion on an specific subject, I don't need to write checks to anyone to express it.

24. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes yes, we all know the renderings are shitty. Imagine green seats.

[​IMG]

25. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    touche!