design plans for PGE Park

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by bright, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I'm pretty sure the fence is blocking off a major street. I don't think there will be much ability to expand in that direction. Here's a pic during the Women's World Cup...

[​IMG]

And an overhead shot of the park during baseball season...

[​IMG]

2. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    After renovation will the soccer layout be the same as shown on the overhead shot? I thought field location would be changing.

PGE is a perfect new stadium for the league. It's a historic soccer venue that will also offer a great fan experience in a downtown location. RFK's been playing that role, but it's not viable in the long-term for DCU from a business perspective, and isn't ideally configured for soccer. But that's my problem. Congrats, and looking forward to Portland in 2011.

3. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    Not sure if it's been covered yet, but when does construction begin?

4. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fence is blocking off a sidewalk that runs along a street if I remember correctly from the Beavers game I went to. This visual connection between stadium and streetscape is what they mention trying to maintain in the current design.

Which is why I'm not saying a continuation of the slope as designed, but a separate raised upper deck. to keep visual continuity.

The distances between the fence, the back row of columns and the "V" supports, are all about equal. Which means by placing a row of columns at the fenceline, you could support an upper deck, and the "V" supports seem like they would fulfill a necessary role in such a deck.

Here is a very rough diagram of conceptually what could be done 2 or more decades down the road.

[​IMG]

There is even enough room in the current design, to add circulation (i.e. stairs) on the ends of such a deck, as well as in the gap at the center of what now is the canopy.

While there isn't much room, they have not pushed the current design all the way back to the lot line. Which makes me think there was some thought into planning for a best case scenario, needing expansion in the coming decades.

Anyway, returning home from bars and throwing together a diagram of a possible stadium addition is my idea of a great end to a night. Hope this clear up what I've been trying to explain about what seems to be a series of intelligent design decisions.

Note:This set up would also allow for new restrooms, concessions etc. to be stacked above existing. meaning less piping/cost, which once again would not be possible to efficiently design for with a different layout then currently proposed.

Also one last thing, do I have these figures rightly understood?
    Stadium capacity w/ covered northern backmost seats: 20,000
    Stadium capacity w/o seats covered: 24,000
    temporary seats on the stage section to the south: 24,000+

5. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pitch will be moved closer to the northend stands:
    [​IMG]

6. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad. So will all the new customers be greeted with open arms by the 5k or so USL fans? :D

7. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

9. Treeha'di'

Treeha'di' New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    I plan on raising a pint in honor of Bright on Wednesday night. We are little more than a year away from a stadium we deserve, in a league that deserves us. For everyone that stepped in to PGE, felt the energy of the supporters, and dreamed of a day when the home of Clive Charles, Clyde Best, and Glen "Mooch" Mynerick was once again a hallowed ground for the highest level of soccer in the U.S., this is our time.

Cheers to you Bright,

RCTID

10. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    The average 2009 attendance was close to 10K.
    It has never been below 5K in the A-League/USL era.
    Very good for a Dev.2 team.

You will still need to double that 2009 number to fill the new stadium.
    That is quite a few new custimbers.:D

11. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think it was the same 10k every match? Your math sucks. I'd say about half of the fans were there at the majority of the matches, the rest of the people came to a few matches a season. Not saying they are good or bad, but saying that the number of people aware of the current team are far more than 20k people. Now, Shittle MLS supporters that I have asked where they were last year liked to laugh at me and say "we didn't have a team last year you asshole!".
    That's the difference.

12. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. And the same is true for the Sounders, who had a tenure in the USL twice as long. The USL has historically attracted a lot of "kicking the tires" fans who really like soccer, but end up being turned off by the level of play and/or the subpar facilities. So on aggregate, both teams have/had a lot of potential MLS fans. You saw this phenomenon play out when the Sounders had 10,000 season ticket deposits 6 weeks after the MLS move was announced.

The real issue at play going forward is how do you get Portlanders to support a team owned by Henry Paulson? Portland hates George Bush, and Portland has been hardest hit by the economic failure. Most Portlanders are clued in enough to know the role Henry Paulson played both at the Treasury Department and as CEO at Goldman Sachs ... before TARP and bailouts were even brought up. His presence as owner has been a key reason for all the resistance, and Portlanders love to boycott and stick it to the "corporations". This is the next step that the Timbers Army has to take. Sell Henry Paulson and all his baggage to your fellow citizens. For the time being, you are pretty much alone in your own town on this one.

Average attendance is one benchmark of success, but a better benchmark is how deeply does the team inject itself into the community, grabbing the support of the common person. The stadium only holds so many people, the rest have to watch on TV or read about it in the paper. This leads to more sponsorship and advertising. If your fellow citizens are hating on the local team, sponsors will stay away.

13. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  15. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahahahahahahahhaha...no. Even if he was the owner, I hated the Tribune, and still supported the Cubs. I still hate Jerry Reinsdorf, and it hasn't stopped my support. Only racist and murderous owners cause fans not to support their home team.

Let's see, the entirety of Florida and Michigan would disagree with this statement.

Once again, you have your Paulsons confused, yes Henry has guaranteed to cover construction cost overruns, but he does not own the team.

From my friends in Portland, I am not getting the impression that fellow citizens are hating on the Timbers. Aside from extreme Blazer fans, who probably wouldn't have given soccer a thought regardless.

In general I'm just responding to what seems to be FOX News level misinformation.

16. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is part of the ownership group along with his son. http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=117977595707133000 The money to cover the $35 million MLS expansion fee and the upfront renovation money is coming from Henry Paulson's pocket. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aiY0Dfcik.8s&refer=home

17. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your articles prove my point, Merritt is the owner, Henry is an investor.

There's a difference

18. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like it. It looks very intimate

20. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The principal owner is Merritt Paulson"

from your article, screw it , why argue w/ a 2nd grader

21. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: Moral of the story: don't say something in the affirmative unless you know you are right. You were mistaken, which we all are from time to time, so don't get all huffy with me about it.

22. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have stopped right there.

23. Couverite

Couverite Guest

Yes, but aren't you (and Portlanders) rather dancing around where Merritt Paulson got his fortune?

A couple years with HBO and the NBA is generally enough time to amass the sort of personal fortune that could buy an MLS team. Sure.

24. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely.

25. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullshit.

Finnegan is trying to portray himself and other Timbers fans as victims. The sympathy card will only take them so far before they will have to face reality, which I know Finnegan is well aware of. While he may come on here trying to distract from what I said about a divided city and the general dislike of and opposition to Henry Paulson, he is most certainly brainstorming ideas about how to address the current situation in the coming year.