design plans for PGE Park

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by bright, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthGreedo

DarthGreedo Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Looks like they spent their whole rendering budget on making Realistic Roof Shade (tm) so they didn't have any left to make the rest of the stadium pretty. Looks like a Roof really does add too much to the cost of these places. :D

2. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    My oh my that looks European! :)

3. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kind of cool, because it really has a dual culture look to it. It looks like a European grounds with an American style SSS addition. A concept that is also European would be adding stands. It's going to be cool.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English isn't your first language, is it?

Please don't start a meme that it's the stadium design that's been keeping the Eurotwats away from MLS

5. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nope!

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a Nacional del Nosecandy fan at that.

7. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    and your point is?

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was yours in griping about the "rendering" that didn't meet you high standards?

What was it, huh? Lord knows you can't have a good stadium without a "proper rendering" for "your kind".

9. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    At least my griping was on topic.

Yeah, thats what I meant. :rolleyes:

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the lack of a heated seat has kept you out of Giants stadium too.

Good, thanks. Just wanted confirmation.

11. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the stadium comes out looking like that...wow.

The Timbers are going to be something special in MLS. With that hardcore fanbase already in place for a USL team...a USL team! We've seen what supporter groups have done in recent expansion cities without any real history of organization or support. Portland is going to be on a whole other level. It'll be like the Südtribüne of MLS in the Timbers Army sections.

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I can't wait for the Toothpick Army/ECS riots outside of the stadiums. It's more Euro than terraces on proper roofs.

13. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been some distractions in Washington, DC, the past few days.

14. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I seem to remember Crew players telling us after playing at BMO the first year how that field was absolute shit. So pardon me for not being thrilled that yet another stadium gets to waltz into the league with turf. Once upon a time, pointyball was played on grass too. And I believe that PSU should have to pay for the upkeep of the field if they are using it and tearing it up. Call me old fashioned there...

I loved the atmosphere at PGE when I was there in 07... but more turf in our league is NOT the answer.

15. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they're expecting this to be done in a year? Seems like a bit of work... Not to be a downer. Looks great though!

16. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    You can pay all you want for upkeep - if a grass field is overused, it's going to degrade no matter how much money to put into it.

17. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Agreed Grass would only work if it was being used as soccer only and not shared.

Part of the problem is grass has a hard time growing during the fall/winter football season. The other have exactly keeping it intact which is really hard with football being played on it as Blockski said.

18. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other excuse that has been used is that we don't have training grounds, so the "match day pitch" is also the "practice pitch", so grass would get tore up real fast.

(not my excuse, but Paulson has used this one)

19. DarthGreedo

DarthGreedo Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I hope they don't get too close to the edge when they start Pogoing up there... :eek:

20. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm probably really naive on this issue, but don't they need to get started on this pretty soon in order to have it completed for the beginning of next season? We're just a little over a year away. What's the timeline on this project?

21. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    An actually training Facility like Starfire sports complex which the Sounders use as theirs? Didn't think the timbers have one.

Its actually still on track for the 2011 deadline the non-construction resolution that was passed by the council was to make sure that deadline would be met. Not like MLS really cares when it gets done its just they just want it DONE period.

The union's stadium won't be done in time before the start of 2010 season. The Whitecaps revamp to BC Place won't be done until fall of 2011 with enough of it done for the Whitecaps to move back in July of that year.

22. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily it had a huge renovation around the year 2000, so any major work that needed to be updated to code were done. So I look at this as just another phase of the renovation we just had.

23. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the east stand and roof can easily be done in that time. the part that may take time, but is not essential to the operation of the stadium is the restaurant above the north stand. the concourse widening on the north and west side is the part that worries me. i believe they intend to renovate the west stand a little so it can be raised, thus allowing them to make the concourse under the west stand to be widened (and allowing them to renovate the concessions).

i see no problem for completion by 2011 if they can get started in the next couple months. in reality the renovation isnt THAT expansive, the east stand can be built relatively easily.

24. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The restaurant isn't happening. Cut with the budget.

25. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, that was my concern that it was going to be a longer process to renovate. Good to know.

Awesome...thanks for the input guys.