Desert Diamond Cup games

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by a517dogg, Feb 18, 2015.

1. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Hall also started the half in place of Barnes, and Neuman just came on for Dorman. I think Dorman still looked stronger defensively in the middle than Caldwell, though we'll see how Scott does now he's playing further back where Dorman was.

2. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical of these games, by the middle of the second half, you have no idea of who or what you're looking at.

On the whole I'd say the Revs played decent possession soccer. It looks to me like Shuttleworth's distribution has been more possession-oriented, though whether that'll continue into the regular season, we'll just have to see. Just not that many chances being created. I think Fagundez's goal was off a bad defensive giveaway. Good finish, though.

3. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I've liked what Mulgrew had to offer. Wouldn't be upset to see him gain one of our roster slots.

If/when Heriveaux (sp?) makes the move to MLS, will he be going through the draft or would we get first chance to sign him?

4. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be stunned if Mulgrew got a contract. As to Herivaux, he's surely a home-grown, no?

5. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, never thought of that. I tried to get it to play thru YouTube on the blue ray and it said that video can't be played.

6. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think after two preseason games in Az. It must be totally obvious just how valuable Lee N is to this team. While we have a good amount of possession and are passing well, we are sorely lacking that last killer pass or shot that Lee brings to the table. No Lee = few goals. Im a little disappointed in Juan's output so far but its very early and Im sure this will straighten out in time

I'd like to see us go with one DM when JJ comes back and two up top. I think its too easy to mark a lone forward out of the game. Having Davies and Juan would open things up a lot for both of them.

Finally JoGo really botched the play that led to their goal. Totally misplayed it

7. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see us go to a 3-5-2. What are we lacking (short-of, questionable) defenders; what do we have an abundance of, mid-fielders. We will give up goals, but with Davies and Juan up top and Diego and Lee behind them, we would score goals. Kind of the Peyton Manning theory of playing, try to out scored your opponents. Also, it would be fun to watch.

8. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't see any chance that we'll go away from the 4-5-1 any time soon, nor would I want them to with the current personnel. We're not going to go to a single d-mid, because that would mean either Jones plays as the single d-mid, meaning he has far less license to roam, or it would mean putting him on with another defensive midfielder, and Lee moves somewhere - neither option would be preferable to the current set-up. As for a 3-5-2, I worry about our defense now, I can't imagine removing a defender, nor would I want them to put even more defending responsibilities on the current wide midfielders than they have now. Lastly, if they were considering it, I'm sure we would have seen them using it in pre-season. I can't imagine they would just change to a radically different formation without using it in a number pre-season games.

rkupp repped this.
  9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We'll have his MLS rights if and when he joins the league.

10. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have a Mac or an iOS device, Apple TV and AirPlay is a wireless alternative as well. I streamed yesterday's game on a Samsung 65" with no issues.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yep. Homegrown, from Brookline. Went to Beaver Country Day.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think there's any doubt about how important Nguyen is, but the lack of goals is more about the fact that it's preseason.

The Revs have an offense that's built around motion, quick passing and mobility in the attacking third and that all takes time to get timing and rhythm sorted out. It's that much harder when new players and trialists are mixed in and positions change (ex., in the last game Agudelo and Fagundez immediately had some chemistry and played some nice combinations, yet starting out this game, Fagundez was in a totally different position and Agudelo started on the bench).

I said the same thing last year - this isn't an offense that will just spring to life. I don't think it'll really get rocking for 5-6 regular season games. Until then, it will probably mean scrapping for goals and scrapping for points.
    Yes, but on the other hand, that was really about the only mistake he made. It's preseason.
    I thought he looked pretty comfortable playing centerback. I don't think the Revs plan to play him there, but I think they may seem his as a kid who could be plugged in almost anywhere.

I wouldn't be shocked if he never ends up using that scholarship to Providence.
    There was a little more to like about that play. Good first pass to make the quick counter on the turnover and then, though it was hard to see, it looked like Agudelo made a very clever little flick for Fagundez to run onto. Then Diego may a very nice little instinctive shift to put the keeper on his heels to leave an easy finish.

Daigo and Bunbury both had golden chances that failed due to rusty finishing. And then Neumann had a chance to steal the points at the finish.

14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That would surprise me. If you go to Beaver Country Day, you're not going to be cavalier about a college education. I'd guess Herivaux is on the Caldwell plan. He needs minutes the Revs can't give him at this point in time.

17. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Random question - players on youth national teams don't get paid for their appearances, correct? I was wondering since Herivaux played for the Haiti U20s if that would affect his NCAA eligibility.

18. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many US youth players are in college at the time that they are chosen. The women's team caps college players on the senior level. There's no impact at all.

19. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Is the game tonight going to be streamed? I did a cursory search - looking at the schedule on MLS (has a link for a stream next to each of the games in Bradenton, but not Tucson), and checking the Revs' site - and I don't see anything mentioned.

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, all the DDC games are streamed on YouTube. There will be a link on MLSSoccer.com by game time.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Thanks, I thought they were, but I would have expected that, if not the MLS site, at least the Revs website would have something up encouraging fans to follow their favorite team by watching the game that will happen in a few hours.

23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cross-posted to share this quote:
    So, I'm guessing that if the Revs win tonight, they play SKC. If they lose or draw tonight, they play FC Tucson.

25. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know which field this is being played on? In other words, is this crappy camera or the good camera?

EDIT: Deductive reasoning tells me the crappy camera. The Stadium host the first and last match of the day which, while the Grandstand is inbetween and concurrent with the first match. The Revs played in that middle time slot for game 1 (crappy camera) and played in the first time slot the second game (good camera). We are in the middle again.