Desailly to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Dec 20, 2005.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    link

"I would love to play for a Premier league side again, a middle of the table club, for example," he added. "I'm ready for a last challenge.

"May be I could also go to the United States. The season starts in April there. And I should be free from any link by February."

Obviously not his first choice, and very unlikely, but it would be cool to see him here. He could still be a very important player for the right team, maybe the Metros with Djorkaeff?

2. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Like you said, Metrostars are the obvious fit. Even though Desailly's only looking to play 1 more year, I'd jump at the chance to have him and Djorkaeff on my squad. The level of professionalism and experience they'd bring would be great for the younger players to be around. Maybe they could teach the staff a thing or two as well.

Of course, it always comes back to the argument that signings like this make MLS look like a retirement league. So be it. As long as players are coming here for the love of the game, they're still good enough to contribute to a team, and they're not being paid obscene amounts of money, I'm glad to see them give MLS a shot.

3. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    From agoos to Desailly? I'll take it. I saw him last year HK all star team vs brail NT and he was still pretty good. I say as good as Pope.

4. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't know. I love Desailly and he was at one point the most dominant player at his position, but man he's old. I think he's a year or two past his sell by date. It's not like club soccer in Qatar is the grueling grind that the EPL is or even to some extent MLS can be. Also he said in the article that playing about 15 games or so would be the right amount for a guy of his age. Do you really want to pay a max salary for a part-time player? I say MLS says thanks for the interest but we'll take a pass.

5. VfB Feuerwehr

VfB Feuerwehr New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    In the Cube-Forest
    With older players it is always a gamble. I agree that if the player can make a major positive contribution, not matter the age, then it is a good signing if the price is right. Anything that will help promotive further professionalism, better training methods, more sophisticated tactics, etc. It doesn't just have to be about the on-field numbers, but gaining from a player's entire career-worth of experiences. I won't try and predict how Desailly would rate in these categories, but I don't think we have to worry about retirement league labeling just yet. Old players play in every country.

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ronaldo (39!!) tore up the Brazilian league this year, leading the league (iirc) w/ something like 20 goals.

7. Peruco83

Peruco83 Member+

May 8, 2005
    Hamden, CT
    you mean Romario?

8. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    Yes, but MLS teams have turned down a few in recent years, like Frank Leboeuf (Desailly's '98 WC teammate) and Mustapha Hadji (also a '98 star). There are plenty of mentors that MLS can hire, but sometimes a younger player - an on-field exemplar - is more useful to the players on the field and in the stands. Still, I greatly admire what the '98 French team achieved and embodied.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Doh!! :eek:

10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Desailly is old AND slow. He's 36(?) now. But he'd get to join Djorkaeff in the World Cup '98 Retirement Club that is the Metrostars.

All that's left is for Paul Ince to want to play midfield...

11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signing a player who says he's good for "15 games in the season" doesn't sound like a good move for MLS.

12. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How good are his English skills, and does he have the temperament to be a coach?

If so, then perhaps an MLS club could sign him as a player/assistant coach.

13. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    Signing an old player with big name is ok, the club will be taking advangtage of it, it will be written in history of the club and will make the club getting more recognized around the world just as the Metro Stars that has signed Mathaeus, Djorkajeff etc ... i bet the Germans & French people know about The Metro Stars after those signings....

14. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was really great for me at Greenock Morton after I signed him in early 2006 in Football Manager...

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    In Chicago, our greatest success came from a combination of older euros and young Americans. I believe that Peter Nowak was 33 when he came to us, and clearly had a couple of years left in the tank.

Lubos Kubik also had a couple of years left. The key is that they both really wanted to be here. It's something of a crap shoot, but the teams need to evaluate the person and the level of play immediately before the person expresses interest.

I think we should also be pressing these guys a little harder a year or two earlier. Get them when they are 32-33 instead of 36-37. A prime time will be in the summer transfer window. There will be a boat load of players coming off of what will be their last world cup, but at 30-34 they would still be stars here.

Identify those players, particularly the ones that have expressed interest in coming here, and let them know that we are interested in them as well. But, we are interested in them NOW, and not when they can't get an English 3rd Division contract (I'm talking to you George Weah ;) ). We should be able to do this if the "Beckham" rule is implemented by MLS so that the dollars are not so far off from what they can get elsewhere.

Beckham would actually be a great place to start. You can sell him on increasing his star power here while he can still play, and the fact that this will likely be his last WC. Once he sign someone high profile who is just a couple of years past their absolute prime, the other dominos will fall.

16. Profi

Profi New Member

Feb 15, 2003
    Franco Baresi is also available........he's without a contract and could do a nice job for the metros......

17. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe he would follow Youri's lead and not be a max cap player....particualrly if he only planned to play a half season.

His experience would be invaluable, and there have been plenty of ageless wonders in MLS history (and, no, I'm not forgettting the flops either).

I wouldn't recommend putting him at the Metros as well, dont want an OAP core, but what about at Houston? A decent name for a 'new' team, whjo also have a big gap following Califf's departure to AaB.

As always, if the terms are right I'd give him a go.....

18. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Great post. REPPED.

19. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm sure Cochrane will do just fine for Houston. He's more than ready.

20. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Actually, I remember reading that the Metros could've signed Costacurta a few years ago, but passed.

21. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Desailly is worthless. If he wants to come play for pennies just to see the states, let him. Otherwise, ship his ass to Qatar or UAE.

22. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I have noticed a lot more interest in the Metros from French soccer fans after Djorkaeff's signing.

23. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    And there will be a lot less once he's gone. Just like I'm mildly interested in Standard Liege's fortunes, but will completely forget about them once Onyewu moves on.

24. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    the only problem i see with this is that Desailly is 64 years old but im not sure if there are any rules against senior citizens playing for mls teams.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I've been saying that for a long time now ... glad I am not alone.

BTW, Desailly is 37 already.