DeRo traded to TFC

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by ShoelessMan, Dec 12, 2008.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't hating on Barrett at all. He's quality and has been for years.

Just saying that between Barrett, Waibel, and Mulrooney, you have 3 very experienced guys who are all getting up in years and not the fleetest of foot.

Since you guys have Ching and one of the best (if not the best) midfield in the league (even w/out DeRo), I'd thought a partner for Ching and some cover (even if its just for the future) would be good.

In terms of CD's: you still have ERob, Ianni, James, maybe Boswell, and I've always thought Waibel could move inside effectively. So I think you guys are still good there.

Anyway, sorry for the intrusion.

2. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with TrueCrew in terms of Barrett, but remember the fact that the Dynamo just got Julius James to add to defense. More than likely depth and speed in defense have already been answered (all they need now is to re-sign Boswell, and it's going to be a wicked defense for anyone in MLS to go up against).

--------------------------------------

One more question right quick to everyone: When is the last time the Dynamo have made a trade that did not work out better for them? Even if the other team got good, the Dynamo always seemed to get better.

3. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we resign BB then with E-Rob we already have 2 solid CBs. Kinda sucks to think that we traded De-Ro for a back up CB and the allocation money....
    We got a replacement for Ianni for DeRo.

I noticed in Glenn Davis' blog he didnt say anything about Wondo1 being in a contract and said Kyle Brown had been released. That means we only have 2 forwards period. I realize that we are going to get another but still we need more than 3 especially considering we just lost our best attacking mid....

4. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I'd like to think that we traded DeRo so that we could free up some cash to give some pay raises and thus keep a good attacking mid and CB

5. Yo_soy_rayado5

Jun 16, 2006
    El Norte
    We should have traded ching. waste of space.

any forward that they bring into the system is going to be good when u have a player like DeRo behind them. now we'll see whats up

6. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get fair value or you don't agree to the deal. If DeRo wanted to go then getting fair value for the Dynamo was his problem. You have to be ruthless in business. Look how TFC held up Brian McBride returning until they got compensation.

7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be offensive, but this needs to be substantiated or it must be considered made-up bull****.

8. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emotional?

You want emotional?

Ok- but I'm afraid you'll have to karaoke it cause Don Henley objects to my use of his original material:

[YOUTUBE]JIWc9fX24eU[/YOUTUBE]​

9. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His problem?, how is it his problem?, is the Dynamo´s problem, the one with the last word was the Dynamo, they could have easily not traded DeRosario.

Trading players is sometimes very complicated, any fool can buy and sell players when you have the money Man United, Barcelona or Real Madrid have, but the rest of the soccer world (and specially in a league like ours with the salary cap) have to take a lot of things into consideration.

You as a team need to think of what will be best for your team right now and in the short term future or even your long term future, you need to think about the salary cap, you need to think about how many great years and how many good years that player has left, you need to think about how much money you can get for him right now vs how much will you get in 2 or 3 years, or even think about the possibility of that player ending his career in your team, very poetic, but you don´t get anything in return.

You also have to think about the quality you may get from a player that wanted to go home to end his career, specially when that player thinks he has given so much to his team that he deserves to end his career back home.

My guess is that Dynamo FO feels DeRosario deserves to go away after all he has done, that his quality will only go down each season because of his age (and the fact he would be angry or feel betray), that he doesn´t have much years left in him and that if you don´t sell him right now, you will get nothing in a couple of seasons.

In return the Dynamo has lower their salary cap (maybe they need to increase some salaries not to lose a few players or they want to hire someone new, only the FO knows that), they got money and they got a younger player.

Are we better or worse as a team with this trade?, we will never know, we will never know how an angry DeRo would have perform for us, we will never completely understand how lowering the salary cap will help the team or how much his absence will help other players to increase their level.

The truth is that we are not a young team, we have some good young players, but our stars are getting old, you either start doing something now or do something when you end up in the last 2 positions of the table.

10. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are just going to have to disagree on this. MJ of MLS? No one said that. Best player in MLS over last five years. Perennial all-star. I'm saying that.

I disagree on your observations. Teams purposefully crowded midfield to take space and time away from the Dynamo MF. Second, the team produced more goals this year than last. 45 to 43.

Second -- the debate is not how much we will miss De Ro. It is whether we got fair value for him or not. I can't see that we did.

11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2008 Stats:

DeRo: 78 shots, 34 on goal, 7 goals. .4359 on goal, .0897 in goal.
    Holden: 35 shots, 15 on goal, 3 goals. .4286 on goal, .0857 in goal.

12. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing though is that the Dynamo got exactly what they wanted in the deal. They wanted Julius James, breathing room on the salary cap, and allocation money. It sounded to me like the Dynamo expect James to be a really good player, so I'm assuming that means they expect James to be a good starter as a defender as well, which is what they were looking for.

The Dynamo are known for pulling fast ones in deals before where other team's fans were thinking they had the better deal (see the Nate Jaqua-from-LA Galaxy deal), but no one on the corner has swagger like us...

13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure you got my point. I would agree with most of the sentences you wrote. I'm convinced we gave up DeRo too cheap. TFC would have given more for him, and he is worth more. If DeRo wants to go but noone will give sufficient value then that is a problem for DeRo. That is my point.

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think the Dynamo didn't want a draft pick or more allocation money? That they turned that down?

15. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another stupid myth.

Beyond that, who would you trade him to that you'd get good value? His salary isn't as high as DeRo's is, and you aren't likely to find anyone who would give you what we got for DeRo (or, if you will, could have gotten). The market for a player like DeRo is a lot higher than Ching.

Also, consider this: we have a lack of depth at striker. No one is sure about Wondo1, Brown was released and Kpene may or may not be around. That leaves Kamara as the only sure forward. The midfield has a lot more talent to trade away. Also, Stuart Holden has been groomed for 3 years now to take DeRo's spot. Might as well do it now in a contract year for the Olympian than wait and hope he is around once his contract expires (I doubt it). This gives us a year to negotiate with him and his agent and maybe groom someone to take his spot or, more likely, to put feelers out for the AM spot just in case.

Trading Ching would have been dumber than the move we did make.

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point that the Dynamo should have gotten more for DeRo based on his relative standing in MLS, especially from Toronto. I view his value differently then you but I agree that he was in the top tier of players in this league the last 4 seasons.

But I think you need to consider that there is almost an inverse value relationship between salary in MLS and tradeability. With most teams probably at or near the cap, to take on a $400k salary (which DeRo is demanding and will get I'm sure) requires most teams to cut players or closes off most other roster options. Toronto is probably the exception because of all of their allocation dollars from transfers (although as much as everyone seems to love everything Mo Johnston trades for, nothing has really translated on the field). I'm just not sure how much of a market there really is for teams to take on guys at the top of the non-DP pay scale.

The Dynamo have proven that one of the keys to winning in MLS is to have the best roster from 1-15 or 1-18. They were able to keep this core together for 3 years and make runs at the title. But the signs that this roster was going to be aging and that the league was catching up were there from the outset this year. We had a great defensive effort for most of the season but teams seemed to be able to shut us down or limit us at Robertson down the stretch.

I also think that the Dynamo will bring in a few guys in the $125k to $250k range rather than a $400k striker as that is their philosophy and probably helps with any locker room issues related to salary (as most of the veteran starters make over $125k).

17. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do get your point, but I still believe you are wrong when you say " If DeRo wants to go but noone will give sufficient value then that is a problem for DeRo.", you are wrong because apparently someone gave sufficient value for him, De Rosario wasn´t the one that accepted the offer, the F.O. was the one that accepted the offer, I´m sure the F.O. thinks they owe De Rosario something for his years of service (like a lot of the fans), but believe me, if they had believe they weren´t getting sufficient value, they would have never accepted the deal, they obviously took a lot of different things into consideration and decided the deal gave them sufficient value, just like TFC is sure they are getting sufficient value, different teams, different needs.

18. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing to keep in mind is that there are only 24 roster spots.

We know for sure that the following are not with the Dynamo anymore:

Caig
    Brown
    De Rosario

Bobby Boswell (out of contract)
    Wade Barrett (out of contract)
    Patrick Ianni (option declined)

We don't know yet who are 4 Dev. spots will be. The list is still rather long and will probably be trimmed some.

Just how many people can we bring in? With the smaller rosters, it'll probably have to be 1 or 2 impact players (or keeping Boswell as one of those "impact players"). Otherwise we're sitting on lots of money

19. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the Dynamo cared about the draft picks because they've never been a team that's depended on it before (though I think that wouldn't have been a bad pick-up). Allocation money; I don't know, because I'm not aware of how much was in this deal. What I have heard in the past though is that TFC had a lot of allocation money.

My guess is that the conversation went like this:

TFC: "Yo, we want DeRo, eh."

Dynamo: "Aight, foo. We want Dr. J. And we want your money, too. Dollar, dollar bill, ya'll. Christmas is coming..."

TFC: "U for real?! We don't want to give anything else up though"

Dynamo: "Fine, gimme more money then. The Dynamo are going green this year."

TFC: "Oye, you just made us playoff contenders!"

Dynamo: "And oye, you just made us a harder, better, faster, stronger MLS Cup contender. Happy Holidays, and enjoy the field turf next year while we enjoy City Hall again..."

20. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Don't forget Mr. Jaqua and his $175k paycheck.

21. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knew I was forgetting someone.

Thanks.

22. skajules

skajules Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glenn Davis says we have fifteen players under contract at the moment. Assuming we re-sign Barrett and one of either Ianni or Boswell, that leaves three spots. One must be used for a backup goalkeeper, and we have to have at least one more striker.

TFC released Pescadito to make room for DeRo. Hey, we need a striker and we have room for him under the cap now!

I'm kidding of course. Don't shoot.

23. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ready! Aim!

Wait. Hold your fire.

That was a close one, skajules.

24. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good move.

The cold reality was that we were going to have to move one of the top salary players on the team this off season to break the cap ice and give this room to breathe. I had thought at the end of the season that DeRo made the most sense because of the depth in midfield.

As much as the cap space matters, just as much in my opinion is to add some new energy and dynamics to the play on the field. I found myself feeling that the Holden/Cameron/Kamara/etc "B" lineups often showed more desire and energy than the "A" teams did down the stretch. Time will tell if they can keep that going in full time duty.

25. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    DeRo leaving still sux :mad:

And I would guess Onstad's days are numbered... I expect a young promising GK to come in to be ready as his succesor in 2010; not a stop-gap like Tony Beer Caig.

As for the suspicion of a DP coming in... 1st thing I thought when finding out about trading DeRo was, oh, hmmm, this smells like (positioning for) DP coming soon...

The good thing is the guy from Trinidad would have no problem with the heat. He must be so happy to leave Snow FC...