DeRo and Onstad Update

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by CanuckFan, Oct 28, 2003.

1. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada is playing Czech Republic on Saturday Nov 15th at Teplice. Just announced another friendly for Nov 18th in Dublin vs Republic of Ireland.

2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming we make it past the first round, they won't be available for the 15th of November. Also, if we win on the 15th, they won't be available for the 18th of November game.

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And don't forget, Olympic qualifying on the 15th and 19th of November as well, I think. Which affects another player on our team.

4. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I certainly hope it doesn't happen, but the arseholes at the CSA would be within their rights to call up the players as I think the 15th Nov is a FIFA international date.

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I think it's within Frank's rights to deny the request for DeRo and Onstad. If we need them, we keep them.

6. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I think Beerking is right. Let's just hope FY doesn't have to "cut a deal" with them to have these guys available...

FY to CSA: "You let me have these guys for this postseason and I'll accept the national team position after we win MLS Cup."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

7. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No offense, but the FIFA regulations are quite clear. As long as the CSA provides 15 days notice, they can be called up and the club has no option.

8. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read this many times on the boards. Can you (or anyone here) point me to the document that says that? I'm not asking this to question you, just so that I can learn these things myself. Tanks!

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CanuckFan, do you have a link for that? I'm not disagreeing with you, just curious.

However, I also think its a moot point, as I don't imagine CSA will call them up.

The US soccer federation website only lists Haiti v Honduras, in Miami, as Olympic qualifying on the 16th; the US U-20 team begins the World Youth Championship at the end of November.

Tony

11. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The link (directly to FIFA) is in my post above.

12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, articles 36 through 41 in that link. Good find, sjqf.

I was hoping that if they do get called up that they could refuse -- Onstad is 35, he may be involved in WC qualifying but he will be 37 when WC 2006 starts and it's unlikely that Canada will bring him along if they qualify, so maybe he would be willing to burn his bridges with the CSA in order to play for the Quakes, assuming of course that he would rather play for his club in a playoff game instead of flying halfway around the world to play a meaningless friendly for his country -- but Article 40 shoots that down, if the CSA requests him and he doesn't show up, he still can't play for his club.

So let's hope that they can negotiate with the CSA and ask them very nicely to not call up our players this time.

13. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You got it right at the end there Bill. If a player refuses the call up, he too is penalized. This stuff came about when the Euro leagues started throwing their weight around with the players from smaller soccer countries, to prevent collaboration. The only sure out is injury.
    However, I am hoping the players will not be forced to leave during your hopefully long playoff run. These Cdn games should only be used to evaluate fringe players as we will be missing two or three regulars to injury and another two regulars to the Olympic qualifiers that same weekend/week.

14. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And while its not on the ussoccer.com site, according to a thread in the youth national teams board, the US team is playing St Kitts and Nevis during the middle of November in Olympic Qualifying. I can't imagine, if the Quakes are still alive, that Donovan et al will be called up for this series.

Tony

15. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada played US Virgin Islands in the first round (USA got a bye) and the aggregate score was 23-0. I assume you could go without LD with St. Kitts. Canada has El Salvador in that 2nd round; I think we could reach consensus that the competition is a little tougher.

16. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re Call ups to Cdn MNT

Man oh man, it hurt to watch Pwamme limp off Saturday night.
    For what it's worth, it was confirmed Saturday morning on the Cdn soccer show Soccercentral that interim Cdn MNT coach Colin Miller will NOT call either of the San Jose players if the team is still alive.