Derby: "There's a lot of interest from the MLS in the player (Feilhaber)"

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jade1mls, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to see him in a Quakes kit.

2. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see a season-long loan here. It'd be great for the league regardless. Does Benny want to go?

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Bedy intuhrestung.

While I think he would be a good fit in be able to help a LOT of MLS, he won't come cheap.

Teams without a lot of cap room will have trouble fitting him in.

And, this has the potential to be very Cory Gibbs-ish, with Feilhaber looking to go back abroad at the first change he gets.

4. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Looks like they turned down a 275 pound bid, which is over 500K US. I doubt MLS would pay anything close to that for a transfer fee, so it's far more likely we'd take him on loan for a year, Derby would get relegated and sell Savage and Barnes, and take Benny back to groom him for a future sale or move back up to the EPL.

I'm actually very surprised they didn't take any money they could get for Benny, I guess they rate him a little higher than we all assumed. Perhaps they just don't want to lose close to a million after about 5 months.

5. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    We want our boys home.

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This is exactly the type of situation in which MLS should open the checkbook!!

1. Benny will by highly motivated to work his way back into tip top form. One thing is to have eyes set on [genuflect] Europe [/genuflect]...

... and play w/ one foot out the door (Beasley, Adu) when you've already established your market value.

Benny has been thrown a setback b/c he can't even make the bench on the worst team in EPL in years!

Argue "fit" and "adjusting to England" and the whole 9 yards all you want.

It's still a crushing blow. He'd come motivated.

2. MLS is expanding and will come to require the services of more and more Americans that frankly should be staying here rather than going to bad situations and/or mediocre leagues in [genuflect] Europe [/genuflect]. Just like Freddy's signing was important in laying the groundwork for retaining more kids b4 they go abroad, many of them languishing, Benny's signing PLUS a successful MLS campaign or 2 could be a landmark moment in US soccer and the league.

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Derby! It's MLS, not "the MLS".

Plus you spell your name wrong.

;)

8. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    with MLS being consistent and very strict about rules and all, if he comes to MLS he would be put in lottery, a la Robbie Rogers, right?

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    In addition to the thread title, the quote continues ...

Derby Chairman: "... and this is something we are likely to pursue."

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    i would have figured KC would be able to get him #1 in the SuperDraft. :)

or maybe (transfers be damned) Derby and KC/MLS will trade EJ for BennyF straight up. :)

or perhaps this is like the Claudio Reyna example, and it will take a DP slot to land Feilhaber. :)

MLS is filled with amazing possibilities.

11. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Can somebody post the updated allocation list? I looked in the other threads, but couldn't find it; and the search of MLSnet.com didn't yield it either.

I know that the rules are about to change sometime this spring, but it'd be good to see the list.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20071218&content_id=133401&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

----------
    Allocations
    • Rankings. The allocations will be ranked in reverse order of finish for the 2007 season, taking playoff performance into account. The rankings will be separate and distinct from the allocation amounts and will only be relevant in the event two or more teams file a request for the same player on the same day, in the case of returning U.S. National Team players, and/or any other player the League, in its discretion, believes should be allocated using the rankings, in which case priority will be granted to the team with the higher allocation ranking. Once the team uses its allocation ranking to acquire a player it will drop to the bottom of the list. The ranking itself can be traded provided part of the compensation it receives is another team's ranking. A team may move up or down in the rankings, provided that at all times each team is assigned a ranking (no team can have more than one ranking and no team can be without a ranking). The rankings will reset at the end of each MLS League Season.

• The 2008 allocation rankings are as follow:
    1. San Jose Earthquakes
    2. Toronto FC
    3. Real Salt Lake
    4. Los Angeles Galaxy
    5. Colorado Rapids
    6. Columbus Crew
    7. New York Red Bulls
    8. FC Dallas
    9. Chivas USA
    10. D.C. United
    11. Kansas City Wizards
    12. Chicago Fire
    13. New England Revolution
    14. Houston Dynamo
    ----------

13. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Well, Derby paid $2 million for him, so would be looking to get $1-1.2 million back. MLS might consider it I guess, but it'd be a landmark move, wouldn't it? Hope he comes back.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I would love to see him sign with MLS, get allocated to SJ, and then get traded to the LA Galaxy for Donovan.

15. rochester rhinos

rochester rhinos New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    under a pipal tree
    the mediocre ones anyways;)

16. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    MLS isn't going to start paying 1 million transfer fees for struggling US players that have no chance of generating main-stream media hype, PERIOD. If Benny's coming back home, it's on a loan.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a MNT player, I believe he would go into allocations first, then lottery if no one wants to use an allocation.

18. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Get used to the word "loan" associated with MLS.

We saw it with Toja (loan-to-buy) and now Matias Cordoba.

Benny does Derby no good if he won't get playing time. A loan lets them get his salary off of their books at a time when they can use every last cent, gets him additional exposure and experience playing, and if he keeps playing for the US National Team, increases his value for any eventual sale.

19. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, but they would rather be in Europe.

20. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    Wow, I knew the dollar was tanking, but that's ridiculous! :)

21. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    They should allow each MLS team 2 AMERICAN Designated Players. You can pay 2 american players that don't count toward the cap.

This would be good for both MLS and its' negotiating power overseas. I think it would also be good for players like Twellman.

If you don't want to 2, start with at least 1.

The whole purpose of the MLS for many fans is to promote and improve Soccer in the USofA (Nats, better footy to watch, new avenues for sport, etc). Of course the owners wanna make money, but I don't think the goals are mutually exclusive.

22. Taylor FC

Taylor FC New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Commerce City, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding? MLS would change the rules again so that Benny could end up in LA. Here's how it goes:
    -Derby exchange Benny for Eddie Johnson
    -Because EJ was "grandfathered" that exemption automatically carries over to Fielhaber.
    -LA trades "cap room" for Benny
    -LA ends up with every "grandfathered" player
    -Since the rule is named after him, Beckham doesn't count against the Beckham Rule.
    -LA signs Zidane
    -Since Zidane was "retired", he doesn't count as DP
    -LA signs Ronaldo
    -Galaxy STILL don't make playoffs
    -MLS institutes the "Galaxy Automatic Playoffs System" (known as GAPS)

23. Raven1015

Raven1015 New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This sounds similar (though not identical) to when Donovan came over on loan to the Quakes from Leverkusen. So here's my prediction:

1. Benny comes over on loan to the MLS and is allocated to the Quakes
    2. Benny finds his form and lights the league on fire, leading the Quakes to a championship
    3. Benny is so happy, he decides to extend his loan
    4. Benny and Quakes win another championship
    5. Benny decides its time to return to Europe and returns to Derby
    6. By this time, Derby have returned to the Premiership and *gasp* have a UEFA cup spot
    7. Benny looks like crap in the UEFA cup matches he plays
    8. Months later, Benny returns to the MLS and ends up at the Galaxy, claiming he wants to stay in the U.S. and improve the league's play
    etc. etc.

Hmm...another two championships for another primadonovan...is it worth it? life is hard when you can predict the future

24. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Cute fantasy. I'm considering rep'ing it when The System (alias The Man) allows...

Here's a true fantasy:
    -Derby exchange Benny for Eddie Johnson
    -Because EJ was "grandfathered" that exemption automatically carries over to Fielhaber.
    -LA trades "cap room" for Benny
    -LA ends up with every "grandfathered" player
    -Since the rule is named after him, Beckham doesn't count against the Beckham Rule.
    -Becks decides to move to Colorado to be closer to the Sundance Film Festival. Invokes a Trade-at-will clause in his contract: Becks for Mastro and 4 Supplemental Draft Picks.
    -Crado signs Zidane
    -Since Zidane was "retired", he doesn't count as DP
    -Crado signs Ronaldo
    -Crado STILL doesn't win MLS Cup

And oh how true the last part is. :D