Deportivo la Coruna [R]

Discussion in 'Galicia' started by DSC05, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Only two votes :(. But I appreciate both of your votes. As you can see there aren't enough people for a Depor forum. I still would like one, but I'd probably have to try and import people from another site.

The only thing I know about next season's kit is that Joma re-signed to make them, and I'm guessing they probably will be similar to last season. Except that ugly orange one we wore in Monaco has been dumped and shall never be spoken of again ;).

2. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Wow I completely missed this post until I checked my email.

Last I heard about the stadium was that La Coruna city council and Depor were fighting about building a new stadium. But that was a while ago, so far really no new information. Although with Depor being in so much debt I doubt they can realistically build a new stadium or get someone to fund it for them.

Finally, I see they updated the offical Deportivo website. Too bad they still don't have an english version :mad:. Ah well the "Unoffical International Depor Website" is much better anyway.

3. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Opps! I meant to do this yesterday, but it's a day late now.......anyway.....

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of our Depor thread opening. We've had some good times (coming back against Milan) and some bad times (3-8 Monaco).

I'd like to thank all the Depor supporters that have posted here: Nutmeg, simmerdown, depor10, Fred Woods, depor15, Sandeman, DeporFan. (where have you all gone?)

The wonderful Moderators: Mario, Sinko, Pichi, The Double, Levante, panicfc.

And even the non Depor supporters: Juanele, Malga CF Fan, aloisius, Syncope, miko, caliente, Oscar, prk166, Juan Rojo, mtkillamanjohno, minuscapita, DutchFootballRulez, magic38, barca, Penarol1916, uclacarlos, REALFOREVER, Kobranzilla, bkn0528, Seedorf, anirbanblah, Almogavar92, A town futbol, umbra, MarioKempes, RandyNA74.

To everyone who have posted here, Thank You! And please post again.

Sorry if I missed anyone, and yes I do have too much time on my hands.

4. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This will be my first season following this thread (and BS in general). Let's keep the ball rolling! :cool:

5. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm sorry are you a Depor supporter? Had I known I would have put you with the other Depor supporters.

Vamos Blanquiazules!

6. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's ok, you know now. Forza Depor!!!! :D

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a Spanish mod ;)

8. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    I am here, I read more than I post. So are we going to make anymore signings for the new season or what?

Forza Depor

9. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think Levante or The Double are Spanish mods either.

10. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Well from what I've read we have to sell in order to buy (the common problem most clubs have other than the big clubs like Madrid, Barcelona and Chelski).

Luque to Barcelona and Naybet to Qatar are the two transfers that would make the most money, although I doubt we'd get a lot for Naybet. With the money from Luque (we want 20 million euros, Barca will never pay that), we probably could afford to buy another player, but I hear most of it will go towards our huge debt. :( Looks like another quiet off season at la Riazor. Although I hear great things about Momo and Ruben in training.

11. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003

Huge Debt?

How big is it...nothing crippling I hope.

12. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Link

It's a pretty big debt, Barcelona's debt is bigger, but from what I hear the debt is managable (is there such a thing?). Of course those figures were before our Champions League Semi-final run and our only two signings were free transfers, so hopefully it's gone down a little. Most Depor supporters that I've heard from aren't too worried, but I am a little worried. If we were ever to be relegated again...........

13. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I just read that after the pre-qualifying round of the Champions League we may buy someone. Our president wants to make sure we're in the big competetion before we buy anyone. He doesn't want to end up like Celta Vigo, by spending a ton of money then getting relegated.

14. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    It's down to two possible teams for us to play in the Champions League qualifiers either HNK Hajduk Split (Croatia) or Shelbourne FC (Ireland). Hajduk Split lead on aggregate 3-2, but they are going back to Ireland to play the second leg. This isn't as tough as last year's draw (Rosenberg), but we shouldn't take either team lightly.

On a side note, Ruben scored his tenth goal of the preseason yesterday. Maybe we won't be loaning him out. Of course this is coming against lower level competition, but it's still impressive.

15. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    No sir. Although if their was a Valencia forum. best believe I'd mod it.

16. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    It's like a 2 edge sword, buy someone and have an easier time qualifying(we should not have a hard time, but you never know) or wait and buy someone, but by then it may be to late. Anyway the league is going to be hard once again so picking up another quality player won't hurt. Maybe Ruben can save some of those goals for when it really counts.

17. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    A good friend of mine close to the situation believes that the lack of offseason moves on Depor's part is a negotiation ploy by Lendoiro. He believes that if Depor were to make big moves and buy big-named players, the city of Coruña would interpret that as Depor crying wolf on their financial situation.

Right now, Lendoiro wants to play the poor-man's card so that Coruña will give up some ground on the price they're asking for the new stadium. Lendoiro seems to believe that Depor's future rests with the new Riazor. If they can pull off the new stadium, then Depor will be firmly entrenched as one of club football's superpowers. If not, they'll be an also-ran. Lendoiro has gone as far as to suggest Deportivo would even consider moving away from Coruña if the city wouldn't concede some ground, and money, on the new Riazor.

I tend to think that my friend is at least in part on to something. Lendoiro is a shrewd negotiator who takes a long-term view on things. The fact is, even if Depor made no big moves this offseason, he has a squad that can compete in Spain and the Champions League. If he does make a big move, then he gives up negotiating leverage with the city of Coruña.

My guess is that this will be a very quiet offseason for Depor, and that Lendoiro will wait until a deal is reached for the new Riazor property. Only if and when that happens will Depor make significant player moves.

It's a very interesting situation, but a frustrating one for us fans who want immediate gratification through big acquisitions of big-named players. Let's wait and see what happens, keeping a close eye on the Riazor situation.

18. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nutmeg, you make a good point in your post. Now that I think back to last season, when we didn't sign anyone, that's when the idea of a new Riazor came up.

As for moving the club the International Depor Website as an April Fools joke talked about the club moving to Madrid (Deportio Madrid), but of course it was only a joke, at least I thought it was. Would Lendoiro seriously considering moving the club? This isn't like American sports where teams move more than they should, I can't imagine a football club changing cities.

19. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I cant imagine a club changing cities either!! Although there is already a precedent. Wimbledon is no more. They have a new name and moved to a new area of London's suburbs... :eek:
    I really hope the new Riazor project takes off. It looks fabulous...

20. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The new Depor shirts are out!! The first shirt is pretty nice (usual blue and white stripes). The second kit is red, while the third kit is dark blue.

21. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

Pics of the new kits, thanks to the International Depor Website

Tristan looks scary in that picture. Luque doesn't look happy he's still wearing blanco y azul. I'm just glad we got rid of that hideous orange design.

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Yikes! He looks like he's ready to eat small children for dinner! :)

23. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    It's FC Shelbourne of Ireland! They will be our first opponents in the Champions League this season. The match will be on 10/11 August and then the return two week later. We traditionally struggle in home and away type matches, as proved by last year, but they shouldn't be as tough as Rosenberg was last season. Still we need to put our best effert into the match or we'll be watching the Champions League at home.

This also means the return of my "famous" signature.

24. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Our possible lineup for the Champions League:

This will be the probable Deportivo squad:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Molina, Munúa, Dani Mallo
    DEFENDERS (8): Capdevila, Romero, Naybet, César Martín, Pablo Amo, Jorge Andrade, Héctor, Manuel Pablo
    MIDFIELDERS (11): Fran, Luque, Momo, Mauro Silva, Sergio, Duscher, Jaime, Valerón, Víctor Sánchez, Lionel Scaloni, Munitis
    ATTACKERS (3): Pandiani, Tristán, Rubén

from the International Depor Website

This could change if we make it past Shelbourne and if we make any other transfers. And if Luque enters the pitch, then he will be eneligible to play in Europe for any other clubs. Interesting that Momo and Ruben made the list.

25. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    On the transfers front, I just read a piece through Google News that Depor is working to sign Javier Mascherano. Unfortunately, they are contending with Arsenal for the young defensive midfielder's services. The catch, however, is that Arsenal could drop out if they can land Maniche, and Boca has said they have yet to hear from Arsenal for Mascherano, despite the rumors.

While he isn't a big name, and the transfer probably wouldn't draw a lot of attention, those who saw him play in Copa America had to be impressed. He's a young defensive minded mid who can play some nice passes forward to put his teammates in good positions. Irureta has been looking for a while now at a future replacement for Mauro Silva, and he believes Mascherano could be that guy.

Stay tuned.