PBP: Deportivo Alavés v FC Barcelona | J6 - La Liga 20/21 | 31 October 2020 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by celito, Oct 31, 2020.

1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’m sure things were looking real promising in the first couple of games ??

What’s happened ??

2. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Synergy of detrimental factors.

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi with 13 dribbles, 10 shots and 5 key passes, 9.40 maybe the highest whoscored rating ever without goal or assist. And you say he was awful and should be benched? Just shows how much the rest of the team was worth.

4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That said he seemed to simply run into cul-de-sacs each time , gave the ball away all night , woeful shooting

5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I know his heart will not be 100% into it anymore when he wanted to be transfered. Then again, when you look at the rest of the team performance... if Messi is crap, the rest if beyond crap.

It has been ongoing pattern where he put solid performance in one match and then followed by a shit game. Beat Napoli 3-1, lost to Bayern 2-8, beat Celta 3-0, then draw and lost to Sevilla and Getafe, beat Feren 5-1 then lost to Real 1-3, beat Juve 2-0 , then tied Alaves. Simply lack of consistency.

Lets hope Griezmann has finally break his goal drought curse with that one and hopefully Messi will finally scores from open play.

6. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Is it safe to call Pedri a world class talent???

7. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    No - he’s been very impressive thus far ...

Potential to be a real good player at the moment .. look how well Fati started the season and now he can’t hit a cow’s backside with a banjo .

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Its been 1 game since he last scored.

Jpows and celito repped this.
  9. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Two games, he had that brainfart against Juventus.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Also drew the penalty in that game.

It's still just one full game irregardless of the # of misses.

If we are freakin' out when Fati doesn't score for 1 game, how do we feel about Penalio right now? :speechless:

celito repped this.
  11. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Man, some fans are just way too fickle. Even the very best go a game or two without scoring. With that being said, we’re talking about a teenager here.

To put things into perspective: when Mbappe was about the same age he scored 13 goals in 28 games. And that’s in League 1 which is an inferior league while playing for the best team in the league by far.

Imagine how many games he went without scoring... Let’s get real here.

evil_allan, celito and BocaFan repped this.
  12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He looked fabulous in the first two games then since then he’s missed a hatful of relatively easy chances .. sure he scored that one you mentioned but he’s missed quite a few one on ones with keepers and scuffed a few as well .

He’s just out of school and it’s to be expected

13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He’s got the potential to be fabulous but at the moment it’s still potential. I don’t think he should be starting every game that’s for sure .

14. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Of course it’s potential, he just turned 18 for crying out loud. However, that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t start every game. Potential also means having a potential break-out year. If it’s a choice between him or Dembele as of right now I’d go Fati everyday of the week.

BocaFan repped this.
  15. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well he's now missed two games a row 1on1, so lets hope this doesn't come a norm.

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    There’s a long list of young players ruined by overplaying when they were still developing physically...

I seem to recall us being sensible as regards the young Messi ..

17. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #117 Jpows, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Really? Players ruined solely by overplaying them “while still developing physically” and no other factors? I’d love to see that list.

As far as Messi goes, are you sure about that? At around the same age in the 2006-2007 season Messi played 36 games in total.

If you’re good enough, you’re ready.

The age-old notion that young or inexperienced players will have good and bad games so we should be patient also applies to more experienced players.

I mean, look at Griezmann, Dembele, Couthino. To me it’s simple: if you’re doing better than your competition for that spot than you should be starting.

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    #118 TitoTata, Nov 3, 2020
    It’s the same reason that youngsters shouldn’t start weight training until they’re out of their teens ... their bodies are still growing/developing.

Read up on the regrets of Michael Owen and Ryan Giggs

Michael Owen claims he was overplayed by club and country as a youngster and is now paying a heavy price for his teenage goalscoring exploits.

In a hard-hitting blog on his website, the 32-year-old Stoke City striker rues the incessant workload during his formative years which he believes cost him the chance both to prolong his career and add to his medal collection.

19. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Be that as it may, that wasn’t the question.

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014

Messi started out at his hometown club Newell's Old Boys in Rosario, Argentina. After signing a contract literally written out on a paper napkin, he moved to Barcelona as a very small thirteen-year-old boy. Messi had been on growth deficiency treatment since he was 10 and after Barcelona agreed to pay for the treatment, Messi spent his boyhood at Barcelona training camp to be a great footballer.

Lionel Messi spent the following three years climbing through the ranks. He first trained with the senior team as a 16-year-old and after that very first session the little genius moved into the senior squad but mostly played minutes off the bench during the rest of his debut season and it wasn't really until the following year that he cemented his first-team place

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014

Go on .. I’ll bite ... which question ?

22. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #122 Jpows, Nov 3, 2020
    Basically confirming what I just said. At around the same age, apparently even sooner, he became a regular player. The following year he was 17. Ansu is 18.

Moreover, in that period Messi was less “needed” because Barca were already amassing league titles and winning champions league with a certain Brazilian magician.

Fast-forward today and Fati is simply the best player we have for that position, and so, in our current situation, more needed.

23. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #123 Jpows, Nov 3, 2020
    Both Owen and Giggs had an illustrious career that many other players who were “brought in slowly because of physical development” would kill to have. Not the best example.

Also, when quoting someone as proof it’d be nice to include the source.

Finally, 2 players is a much too small sample for anything conclusive.

24. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    After you went and edited your post to include what I asked? Who are you fooling? Nice try.

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014

What are you smoking to make you so paranoid ?

I still don’t know the damn question ..