Dennis Bergkamp extends contract

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bigp, May 12, 2004.

1. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    Great news and glad for it to come so quickly.

No waiting around this year!

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm ecstatic to see Arsenal remaining so loyal to one of the all-time greats. Sure, his playing time will be reduced but I still think he is an invaluable member of the club. All hail the non-flying Dutchman. :D

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  5. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    FANTASTICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great news indeed! :)

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Fantastic! Ten years with the club is certainly wonderful. So much has been written this year that the true moment that Arsenal began it's climb towards becoming a "big" club in Europe was when Dennis signed. He was the start of the revolution before we even knew that there was one.

7. Texas Gooner

Texas Gooner New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Plus DB will get his testimonial at the end of the year. I can't wait to see who will turn out for that one.

8. cdngunnerbob

cdngunnerbob New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Toronto
    I'm so happy that the man that brought so many North American suporters to my sometimes beloved and sometimes cussed Gunners is going to bring us another season of wonderment. Of course when van Persie spoke of how he was so pleased to be able to study with "the dutch master" it looked like a done deal.

40+ years, 6 championships, 6 FA cups and 2 European trophies what a ride.....with more to come!!!!

Bob Hobbs

9. DBecks

DBecks Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Houston, TEXAS
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's very good news for all Gunners, especially ones like myself who didn't get turned onto the Arsenal FC until Bergkamp came here. And at 35, what other player his age in the Premiership is still capable of commanding a game the way he can? God bless Dennis Bergkamp.

10. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Agreed in one sense, though we were always a big club. But the arrival of Dennis to us and Zola to Chelsea together with the emergance of Beckham all in one season is what put the Premiership on the front pages and got so many people into football. At the end of the year, he will get a testimonial as Texas has said and that will not be a game to miss!!
    Imagine all the best players he's played with, Vieria, Henry, Pires, Campbell, Guillet, Kluivert, Davids, Seedorf, Overmars.

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    His testimonial would be one not to miss, for sure, and I would imagine it will be one of the toughest tickets to get.

Maybe I should plan a trip over for that time next year, as I'd love to be there for that, just to say I saw it.

12. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

This isn't an invite for people to say 'can you get me a ticket'!! as we are talking about a game that may or may not happen. BUT, tickets for all testimonials get released to Season Ticket Holders first and then to TRS and then to ticketmaster for a general sale. I know this year a friend from Brussels (actually from Chicago origionally) tried to get a ticket for the Keown one and couldn't coz he didn't have a UK address. So next year, sort it out who is coming, and ill get some tickets.

13. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Fantastic News!! Here's to another season of deft touches, sublime passes and neat goals!

His testimonial would definately be worth a trip across the pond. I assume it would be Arsenal vs. Holland XI or Ajax.

Cheers!

14. FireTrucker

FireTrucker New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Minnesota
    /Does happy dance!

I say we sign him til we lose a league game!

15. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    Something tells me we'll see Marco Van Basten take the field again for that testimonial. :D

16. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    I love dennis bergkamp for the following, but not limited to, reason:

The goal against Newcastle 2 years ago where he tapped it one way, spun around Dabizas in the box, and tucked a low shot to the corner under a helpless Given. Following the game during an interview, bergie said he meant to do it!

Thank god for DB10.

gp

17. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is a good thing. DB can continue being a class mentor and footballer for Arsenal's youth. He probably and shouldn't play more than 60-70 minutes, actually could see him as coming on also for the last 20 minutes as well. DB is a class act and this is the right thing for both him and Arsenal. His legendary status is secure forever as a Gunner! I know he played for the great and quite famous Ajax, but he had 10 AWESOME seasons as a Gunner.

Up the Arsenal and congrats to DB10!!!

18. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I'm surprised about the Ticketmaster problem. When I moved over there for a year at the end of 2001, I had bought a ticket for the Villa game (God was that a great first premiership game to see) and had it shipped here to the States and then had my folks mail it to me over there as I arrived in between the purchase and the game. I also did it for the Sunderland game later that year as well...didn't have a Switch card, only a Solo at the time.

19. KingKewell

KingKewell New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    USA
    wanna impress me...? get on a plane denny

20. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Cold.......

21. KingKewell

KingKewell New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    USA
    a sense of humor is a virtue my friend...its good to see bergkamp run out his last year at Highbury...hope to see him go out with a bang and not a whimper and at the same time mold one of the youngsters into the next bride for Mr. Henry

22. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    That was a competitive game(s). Ticketmaster charge Arsenal more if they open it up to International customers, and for a Testimonial the number of fans coming from abroad would be small. Of coure if you contacted the box office as soon as the date was released, then they would be able to sort you out.

Wanna impres me...? show you didn't move to Liverpool just for money and strt playing football and act like you want to do well, a bit of passion would do wonders. Well done by the way at getting the acolade from the Times in London as being the most dissapointing signing of the season. :cool:

23. KingKewell

KingKewell New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    USA
    Wanna impres me...? show you didn't move to Liverpool just for money and strt playing football and act like you want to do well, a bit of passion would do wonders. Well done by the way at getting the acolade from the Times in London as being the most dissapointing signing of the season. :cool:[/QUOTE]

the name was in jest my friend...the time i started on here was during his contract fiasco...the king gets his way...kewell was trash at best this year, but i would be surprised to see him have such a sub-par next year...

24. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Geez you guys don't get sarcasm as a joke do you!!! I saw you supported Arsenal, wasn't haveing a dig, just being sarcastic. Call it English humour!! :p