Denmark Danish National Team

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by hula, May 26, 2009.

1. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Wed, 03-Sep-2014
    -Friendly Match-

Final Result:

Denmark - Turkey
    ==((1))====((2))==

Goals:
    Daniel Agger at mnt;35 ,by PEN.
    Olcay Sahan at mnt+55
    Ozan Tufan at mnt+90

First half Denmark were the better team. Second half Turkey .

ps:

This was a specially day for Denmark history. 125 years. anniversary day.

Congrats.

Regards,

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Agger with another penalty. What's this make... 3rd or 4th PK converted for Denmark?

3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Danish Hummel has signed a contract with the Danish FA and is finally back making shirts for the Danish NT like in the good ol' days in the 80's and 90's ! ... have a look right here (it seems that you need to turn on the sound) :

http://www.hummel.net/AA/

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Jacob Bruun Larsen made his debut for Dortmund.

6. vestergaard

vestergaard Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Versus Rep of Ireland in a day or so.

@Ceres and other Denmark fans >> any thoughts?:)

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wanna see more than 1 Viking nation in this tournament. Come on Denmark and Sweden

8. vestergaard

vestergaard Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Maybe you're getting your wish, as Sweden is 1 up after the first leg.

This Danish team is the most talented in a long time, with players spread across different leagues and and a bit cosmopolitan in make-up; it would be a shame if they don't go to Russia.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah it's quite interesting how varied the Danish squad is now compared to Sweden. I won't even go into how Norway can't seem to qualify for anything.

vestergaard repped this.
  10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The most interestinig part of this Danish NT is that they are all regular starters and key players for their club teams, though non of them play for the absolute top teams ...but still. Eriksen is among the very best in his position in the English PL and so is Delaney in Germany ... and Pione Sisto is the absolute assist king in the Spanish La Liga... and Denmark has never managed to qualify for the U-21 Euro Championship twice in a row before now. So this is probably the most talented Danish NT ever, at least since the 80's ...

11. vestergaard

vestergaard Member

Oct 21, 2004
    To me, this is WAY better compared to lack of game time (always a possibility) at the elite clubs.

Does anyone know the expected line-up for Denmark?:) Am starting to feel the excitement.

12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Nothing has been released ... but for sure Kasper Schmeichel is the GK, and NT captain Simon Kjær as centre back, his partner in that position is most likey going to be Andreas Bjelland, though he suffered a head injury a few weeks ago ... alternatively it would most surely be Andreas Christensen who has been looking great for Chelsea of lately.Mathias Zanka is surely going to be warming the bench, though he is a regular starter in the English PL for Huddersfield.

Left and right back are the weak positions for Denmark, where there not that many to pick an chose from, in right back position Henrik Dalsgaard from Brentford would have been the sure starter, but he is injured and out and the only real alternative at the moment is Peter Ankersen from FCK or Jens Stryger Larsen who has recently moved to Udinese ... most likely the NT coach will prefer Ankersen as right back, simply because he will need Jens Stryger in left back position .... Riza Durmisi would have been a sure starter as left back had he not been injured and out. He is a regular starter in the Spanish league for Betis, but in his absence, I'm sure it will be Jens Stryger who defensively is highly solid, both as right and left back ... and not Jonas Knudsen, though Jonas is a natural left back and a regular starter for Ipswich.

In midfield there will be little suprise ... Delaney, Eriksen and vice captain William Kvist are sure starters in a 4-3-3 .... Pione Sisto is sure starter as as left striker, while in the right side is most likely going to be the very quick Yussuf Poulsen ... as centre striker, my guess would be Andreas Cornelius, because he is as big and strong in the air as any of the Irish, but it could also be Nicolai Jørgensen or less likely Lord Bendtner, though he is physically strong and in great shape, he is not as quick.

13. vestergaard

vestergaard Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Both goalkeepers were in inspired form yesterday. And what a miss by Sisto...

All to play for in Dublin!

Should Hareide make any change to the starting lineup?

14. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #214 Ceres, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017

Problem with Sisto is that he may be the assist king of the Spanish league at the moment and also score goals in Spain, but he is yet to have done any of that for Denmark ...

Ireland parked the bus all 90 minutes as expected, which is the only "weapon" they got that they are very good at, which is also how they managed a 1-0 win against Germany last year ... and they are surely going to play exactly the same way at home in Ireland, hoping for a hard-fought lucky punch 1-0 win at a set piece or to progress through a penalty shoot-out...

They usually only let their opponents get 3-4 opportunities to score, while they rely on a lucky punch goal themselves, so really Sisto and the Danish NT could have finished them off in the first 30 minutes, while the pace was much to low in the 2nd half to break down their defense.

Still, Ireland are usually much better away from home where they can defend and counter attack ... recently they managed a 0-0 draw at home against a 10 men Wales . but beat them 1-0 away in the decisive WC qualifier and they also managed a 2-2 away draw in the WC qualifying group against Serbia, but lost 0-1 at home, just as they beat Austria 1-0 away, but only managed a 1-1 result at home ... so considering that away goals count double and that Denmark now have 90 minutes + an additional 30 more minutes, if the match finish 0-0, it's still advantage Denmark ...

15. vestergaard

vestergaard Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Yep even though it's an away game, I think Denmark goes into this tie with a very slight advantage. And you're right about Ireland adopting the same bunkered approach in Dublin (as Martin O'Neill quite clearly indicated in an interview).

It looks like Hareide will use the same starting lineup as in the first leg, although I would prefer Yussuf Poulsen to start as right striker.

Btw, I read on DR that the Irish pitch is nowhere near as awful as Parken's so here's to more entertaining football!

16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yes, Yussuf Poulsen is both more physically strong and quicker than Nicolai Jørgensen ... but if I was to pick the strikers for this match in Ireland, I would also pick Bendtner instead of Sisto, simply because Sisto was slowing down the pace too much in the first leg, and is not sharp enough playing as a striker when it really matters ... and Bendtner is physically unstoppable ... he will win 99% of all the duels in the air, just as Cornelius also usually win most of his duels ... and that would really put pressure on their defense and leave more space for Yussuf, Delaney and not least Eriksen.

17. vestergaard

vestergaard Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Sisto is truly an assist king, and that looks a bit like an own goal does it?

And Eriksen is... WOW.

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Ireland do not play quite as defensive minded as expected ... The Ireland coach also said before the match that he did not believe they could keep a team like Denmark from scoring in 2 x 90 minutes, so he believed his team would need to score twice and win the match ...

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How is Eriksen not known as a world-class player? He should be known as Christian "100% WORLD-CLASS" Eriksen

vestergaard repped this.
  20. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    ,,, a 5-1 win in a decisive WC play-off away match ... Denmark is back for sure after some years work on implementing new top talent ... key here is that Danish youth development and youth and senior NT's refuse to compromise by playing defensive minded to get results ... then rather miss a Euro and a WC until they are ready to impress and make a difference at a bigger stage ...

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Shame my boi Danny Agger retired some years ago.

22. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    great win. i'm glad to have a team to root for next summer. that 5th minute goal had me worried at the start though.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i'll be supporting Poland to be a dark horse. Same as Uruguay

and hoping underdogs like sweden,denmark,panama,costa rica to cause a few upsets

24. vestergaard

vestergaard Member

Oct 21, 2004
    DBU really deserves kudos here.. for not treading the easier path.

Btw Ceres, any idea why Ankersen replaced Jens Stryger early in the 2nd half yesterday?

25. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Probably because Stryger injured his arm earlier in the match ...