Dempsey to train with Feyenoord

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Toolhead, Nov 18, 2004.

1. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If Dempsey does not get signed by Feyenoord,then maybe PSV with Demarcus Beasley,(And I hope and pray,Ed Johnson),could form a solid on and off field conection! :cool:
    Van Bommel,may leave PSV,before Ono does Feyenoord.Maybe a good fit!?
    BTW:Van Bommel,and others on PSV are not 'Ladies'!! :p
    If Dempsey(And Ed Johnson too),does not get signed by a 'Eupo' team,then they will have less training,playing time before 2006 WC.
    MLS,has one more season,'Euro' has after winter,2005,and 2005/2006 seasons! Plus,will they get better where??
    At least DeMarcus Beasley,is set! The other two,just a 'dream' so far...?

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh, yeah, I agree. But if you were negotiating, you could come back with, "but PSV underpaid for Beasley because MLS players had no reputation in the Netherlands, and because we had to sell." (Beasley was almost out of contract and had said he would leave on a free if not transferred).

I personally am not quite ready to see him go (though Feyenoord would eb a good place for him). I don't think Gazidis is, either, which is why I would think the above is more of a posture than reality.

My guess is that MLS will ask for two million or so, and Feyenoord, though impressed by him, won't be able to see paying much more than half that. And he'll then wait until next season to move abroad, when the league has less negotiating power (because it will be one year closer to the end of his contract).

3. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    i doubt any of our young mls stars (gaven,ej,demps,etc) will go anywhere until after 2006 WC...if we have another good wc run, that's an extra 10~20% more in our player value. agree?

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is probably making around $60,000. move now - he makes €401,715 minimum, plus bonuses for appearances and points.

If he does well in 2006...who knows who'll come after him, but I bet his value goes up even more after a year in Holland then another year in MLS.

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    With Johnson that might apply, because he's making a strong case to be a starter, and no club that's likely to puchase him has seen him play against their guys. With Dempsey though, this trial is with a view to possibly buy (hence the reserve match), and he is not as much of a lock to play for us in 2006 at this point (he's been a lot less evaulated so far).

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Agreed panic, with the one small caveat that if MLS fends off a seriuos offer for Clint, they'll probably also double his salary or more (you're still basically right. Clint ends up fniancially ahead with the move).

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If F-nord makes a bid - even a strategic low one - it'd be a clear indication that they are willing to pony up ~$500K for Clint each year. Now how does MLS tell Clint that he ought to come back to Boston for his $440K less?

As I said with regards to Ed Johnson, when the difference is that high, a player has ways of forcing the transfer to a richer club.

It's all there's to it.

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure PSV feels they underpaid just yet. Its only been a couple of months, and he has had some success - buts its still early.

Depends on how impressed they are, plus with Ono leaving in June - they will need to find a replacement. If they want him - they've got the cash to buy him.

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh, sure. If they're impressed enough, that whole discussion is moot because they can come up with the dough.

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Clint wants to play in Europe, as he has said repeatedly that he does, he does not renegotiate his MLS deal. Just take what they pay, and leave asap.

The sooner he is in Europe, and playing for a club like Feyenoord even more so, the sooner he is to giant paydays and career advancement.

Two seasons at Feyenoord, some caps, and he's in England or Spain. that wouldn't suck too much.

11. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    If Feyenoord wants Dempsey -- they'll get him bottom line.

The only thing up in the air is if they will want him.
    I can't see this kid staying in MLS for less money than what the opportunity of playing in Europe can offer and pay.

To think that he would stay in MLS if there is an offer on the table is ridiculous. He'll go as soon as he can.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    No, there's a middle ground. The English club wanted Beasley. They wanted him $1M bad, which was not bad enough. It is possible for players to fall into that category.

If Feyenoord thinks he'll be a major player for them, they can come up the the money. If they think he's a role player or not an everyday player, they could, but probably wouldn't.

Not all "wants" are equal. There's a reasonable chance they'll make MLS "an" offer, but not one MLS will accept.

13. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

Not sure this has been posted yet. Link to another story about him on the offical Feyenoord website.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff.

Only tidbit is Demps trained with the first team and fit in well. This has to bode well.

15. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Link from Offical Feyenoord website

I guess this ends any speculation. I'll have to ask my sources what went wrong in Rotterdam.

16. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I don't know about Feyenoord's evaulation method.

First, they asked Tim Howard to trial, then told him he is not good enough for them. One year later, Tim was transfered to Manchester United.

Second, they asked Carlos Bocanegra to trial, then told him he is not good enough for them. Some time later, Carlos was transfered to Fulham.

Now, they asked Clint Dempsey to trail, then told him he is not good enough for them. Clint did have a problem in center midfield--he is running more than he should. He would improve with better coaching and more positionning sense, but I gurantee you that he would be snapped by another team. :p

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    different coaches and technical director in place. Biggest problem is the money - minimum salary and transfer fee was expected to be in excess of €2.5 million first year.

Plus remember Boca and Howard had more than one season under their belts when they went over to Holland, Demps just finished the first one.

18. Long Live Maradona

Long Live Maradona New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    TX
    his first day to trian was WED. his last was FRi. Three days, after a long hard season, to show enough to be worthy of Feyenoord is hardly enough. I can't even learn my teamates names or positions in twice that long.They should have made thier decision based on what he was doing during his regular season. They will regret this. I see Clint smashing a few goals home against them in a future champions league game with his new club....Roma? who knows.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually his first day was Friday before Thanksgiving. He spent most of his time with the reserves until Thursday.

I think they'll keep him on the radar and maybe make another shot next January.

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't mean to say others were wrong per se, but I did see this one coming.

It seems from the quotes that he showed enough that, were he free, Feyenoord would have picked him up as a useful depth/developmental player, but they don't see him as an immediate contributor, and therefore he isn't worth to them at this point what MLS would ask.

Indeed. And we might have this conversation again in a year--though it is somewhat unusual for a guy in that situation to end up hooking on with the same club, since it seems like an admission of error on the part of the club, even though it really isn't. What's more likely is that with one more season under his belt, and a few more caps, he's off to some roughly commensurate level of play, for a roughly commensurate (or perhaps slightly less, since at that point he'll be closer to the end of his contract) transfer fee.

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I think Rob Baan was wrong. Both Boca and Howard were desperately needed by the club. I think the offer for Howard was too low - and he knew thought something might happen elsewhere.

Then with Boca - they blew it. They have needed a left-sided central defender for nearly two seasons. Finally they have someone, but Boca would be an upgrade.

As for Dempsey - they have probably laid the groundwork for a future deal. If he liked his stay, and likes working with Gullit and company he could be back. Maybe they make a move for him in the summer window instead...after they have the Ono cash on hand.

22. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Boca is free at that time. Dempsey is a lot better than Boca. I think PSV is more aggressive than Feyenood on the scouting. When Johnson scored three goals in Panama game, Manchester United asked him a two weeks trial. By learning this news, PSV sent its scout to US vs. Jamaica game to scout Johnson. After the game, they asked Johnson to trial 2 weeks in PSV after his Manchester United trial.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I mention that Rob Baan, AKA Mr. Burns was the technical director at the time Boca went over? He was fired after missing on Boca and Howard.

Dempsey is better - but still lacks enough experience for them to drop €401,715 minimum salary on him, and a transfer fee.

PSV might have a little more cash around after the Champions League and....the sale of Arjen Robben.

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    When you can sell your most expensive player and do even better than before (even before you spend most of that money), you're doing something right.