Dempsey to Feyenoord?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Hatrick, Nov 18, 2004.

1. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I was just trying to be a dick.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, it's an audition. Let's hope he aces it.

PS. This also points to the fact that the European scouts are definitely watching the American born talent, though I am surprised that Dempsey is being selected ahead of Martino, Gaven, et al.

3. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Which is why he is exceptional. And thats the point. He is exceptional and Eddie Gaven is above average. And we should all remember that when we make outrageous claims about our young prospects.

BTW I just love the way you can't say anything remotely negative about any american player on this board. The group think is nauseating.

4. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    With all due respect "great potential" in the real world and "great potential" in Yanks Abroad tend not to be even remotelly related.

The track record of the US in terms of developing world class players as opposed to numerous other countries leads me to be very cautious when evaluating talent here.

5. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    It didn't stop SAF from trying to tap up Tony Adams.

6. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    What seperates them? Beside the demonstrated ability to line up next to some of the best in the world and not seem out of place there is the monstrous chasm in sheer football intelligence (the same thing that seperates most of our players from the rest of the world).

Now football intelligence is hard to quantify but after seeing Eddie Gaven continuosly dribble himself into a corner, get disposessed the fall to the floor looking for a call i have come to the conclusion the boy is lacking in that department.

Now I have seen you once describe Gavens mental ability as amazing. Thats cute and all but you need to watch more Metros games. He still ahs quite a ways to go. Frankly I think Gaven may very well be a more talented player but Fabergas is a better player by far simply because he knows how to play the game at a high level. Eddie Gaven simply is not ready to step into and Arsenal lineup yet.

7. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Which is abig problem with the wya we develop our youngsters. EJ is the type of speedster who (in the words of another poster) "was taught to chase the ball all his life". I got news for you people. That is bad. This game is about a lot more than kicking the ball over the top and having someone chase it. Players at the top level shut that down quick. Luckily EJ has developed a good helping of skill in spite of what he has been taught.

US was playing a kick and chase type of game last night, but that doesn't mean that's the only type of game Eddie's capable of playing.

I am curious what you base this on. Do you know about any of these prospects? These kids usually spend time far away from cameras in the academies.

I have no idea. These palyers are all under wraps.

What I do know is that when these players hit 22-24 and are palying in France and Spain they tend to be way ahead of the players we produce here. People need to be way more cautious the way they talk about players here. They are overhyped way too much.

EJ is a very successful MLS forward (much like Stern John, Brian Mcbride an d Clint Mathis) but that success at MLS level has yet to translate it self well to the world stage and until he or some one else does it at that level people need to stop saying things like "there's no way he's in any way "not ready." "

8. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I'm not defending Gaven. I'm just saying that Fabgregas is not your normal 17 year old if that last comment was aimed at me.

9. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    And you need to be way more cautious about overhyping an entire continent.

Just because a couple of African players you've never heard of before emerge every year and prove themselves to be excellent doesn't mean that Eddie Johnson or any other player isn't good, or has the potential to be just as good. Honestly, you're taking a handful of examples whom you're declining to even name from an entire continent, and you're using that to criticize other people's player evaulation skills?

EJ has potential. Gaven has potential. Dempsey has potential. People are excited about it.

It's not hurting anyone.

10. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only the US could develop players like that guy who is #2 or 3 in goals scored during the current African WCQ. What's his name? Selo... Yeah, Dipsy Selowane.

11. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Well, I am sure you can rag on C:)nvey here. (No. I do not want to turn it into another C:)nvey thread. Just....can't....resist.)

12. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    No it wasn't. Sorry about that.

13. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I amcriticising our ability to produce world class talent. We have yet to produce one yet other countries produce them routinely. That is fact.

Its nice to be excited but when people starting overblowing the hype it makes this board pretty unreadable to some. It gets real annoying real fast. Everytime one of our players does something wonderful in MLS we hear the hype machine start up. For once I wish we could just have one discussion where a we intelligently discuss a players strengths and weaknesses instead of statements like "Well he score 5 goals in 100 minutes he must be worth at least 5 million!".

Not every americna player is the next coming of baby jesus. I especially hate it when its about Gaven. The kid has tremendous potential but he has a far way to especially in the area I laid out. Often time sthe people hyping this kid most don't watch him play complete games at all and make statements about him that are way off base.

14. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Is convey even in the same class as EJ Dempsey or Gaven? He strikes me as a player who people make a lot of excuses for but is still living off his reputation in youth soccer.

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Subjective evaluation.

The Magpie

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, you continue to login. Are you some kind of weird bulimic?

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but the standard you're using is so high it makes the whole discussion pointless. Only France, Brazil, and maybe Holland and Argentina meet your lofty standards. Well, duh.

18. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    I hate these misleading titles people put on threads. Training=training This forum has turned into a giant English tabloid.

19. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I agree.

Rommul, unless you know world youth soccer WAY better than I do - which, unless you coach a USMNT, you don't - the most you could say is that the jury is still out on our young players.

You can't say a kid like Fabregas is better than Gaven just because of his environment. Gaven has an enormous responsibility to run the Metros attack (don't even put Guevara in this discussion - he has a different role than Gaven). Put Fabregas in Bergkamp's spot and see what type of tactical decisions he makes. Gaven makes quite brilliant tactical decisions given the role he has in the team.

And, like another poster said you can pick any arbitrary age and say a different kid from a different part of the world is the best in the world. BTW, EJ could have a case to be the best 20 y/o striker on the planet. What other 20 y/o has a better record in similar competition over the past 12 months?

Additionally, the real level of MLS is a mystery until we regularly play teams from Europe and South America. That is why I never discuss it. Many thought the USMNT was overhyped - until we started putting some butts in the sling.

I agree that a level of temperance is necessary in comparing our players to others. But there is also no reason why our best - who have consistently been successful against world competition at youth club and YNT levels - should not be reasonably compared to the best of other countries.

I understand caution and reason, but the pendulum must swing both ways.

NL

20. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You're so full of crap. You constantly say negative things and any time someone rebukes them or challenges you to back up your claim you act like you're being flammed to the highest degree. People say to you.... 'I disagree and this is why...' and you come back talking about 'group think?'

There's a number of habitiual contrarians on these boards. You at least can put a sentence together but the substance of your arguments isn't any better than the worst of 'em.

21. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    In you opinion. Glad to know you are absolutely sure what my standard is. I love it when people like to tell me what I think.

BTW Enjoy having the last word.

22. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Yes it has.

23. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Really. Name one world class player we have produced?

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Define world class.