Dempsey to Feyenoord?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Hatrick, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2004/11/18/us_boots_jamaica_out_of_qualifying_for_cup/

2. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be awesome.

edit: if you were wondering does this mean he is signing with feyenoord, then no. many players train with other teams, but that doesnt neccessarily mean anything, however it is a start.

i hope he gets to go and that MLS makes some $$

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that it's just training, and being an MLS rookie, it's understandable in the case of Dempsey to feel that it is an honor to be able to train with Feyenoord. Even if any offer would be highly unlikely, it is still great....
    But i wonder about people like Eddie Johnson...Sure, a young kid, with not too many years under his belt....But hasn't he shown a bit more than, say, Dempsey in order to justify not having to think of training with ManU as sort of a trial? Just wondering....
    I mean, when other big club teams see this, they all will want a trial first before even thinking of signing someone like Johnson...In the case of Dempsey, i clearly would agree.. only 30 plus or minus professional club games under his belt, and one cap.... Or is Johnson's situation not that different to Dempsey's in people's opinions?

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is a good trend amongst young MLS players. They aren't training over there for extended periods of time. Eddie Johnson is only training with ManU for 2 weeks and then to PSV for 2 weeks. This way these players get to see how the best professionals in the world train and approach the game. This can only help these guys. I wish more of them had the chance to do it.

5. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but four weeks combined (just got back to this thread, after reading the PSV update on the Johnson situation) seems a tad too long for these two teams to simply have a "look-see"... OTOH, it seems that there is no intention to sell the kid, so i guess him simply getting the training for training's sake is positive..... I just am a bit against having players who have shown what they are capable of doing going on these extended trials just for the clubs to see whether they want to buy him or not...Since i seem to have been misinformed, my apologies for even bringing this up.....

6. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    LOL! I picked up both of them for my PSV squad in FM 2005. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come :D In all seriousness though, I think it's great that these young guys get to go train with great teams like Manu, Feyenoord, and PSV. I doubt we will ever see EJ transferred to Man U though because of the depth they have at striker. He would end up languishing in the reserves. PSV, on the other hand, would be a perfect fit. They need another talented striker badly and EJ would certainly fit that mold. It goes without saying that the Dutch know how to develop young players into complete footballers.

7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Yeah, the prospect of EJ getting an offer from PSV after a good two weeks has me excited. While MLS would want to hold on to Johnson, will his stock ever be higher than it is right now? I'm not saying he won't be better in a few years, it's just that he has just scored 5 goals in just over 100 minutes of world cup qualifying as a 20y/o!

Considering PSV already have a relationship with MLS because of the DMB deal, it's not hard to picture a move taking place.

8. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I hope guys like Martino and Clark have similar gigs. They're both talented guys who are in need of a more professional atmsophere.

9. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah but they tend to start the process a lot earlier than 20 years old.

10. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    True, but EJ is also further along in his development than most 20 year olds.

11. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah so is Mike Magee.

He doesn't need to be better than most. He needs to be among the best.

Its like when people fawn over 17 year old Eddie Gaven I just point to 17 year old Cesc Fabregas as an indication of what true excellence is.

I am very proud that we are producing players like EJ but I am under no illusions as to what his talent level is.

He is very typical american player who has speed and was taught to chase the ball all his life. He is not on the same level as some of the talent coming out of places like Africa yet.

12. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Fabregas is not the norm amongst 17 year olds though. It would be great if the US had a Cesc but most countries would also like it.

13. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003

14. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Isn't one of the 10 United Commandments "Thou Shalt Not Covet a Gooner"?
    ;)
    If you aren't careful you'll be ex-communicated.

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    As an arsenal fan, let me say that the Fabregas phenomenon may be more of a product of the hysterical British sports media rather than of talent. We'll see.

Dempsey looks good. We do have good 15-20 year olds, but careful not to get too carried away.

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I'd like to know what seperates Cesc Fabregas from Eddie Gaven. You could make a good arguement that Gaven has had just as metoeric rise as Cesc has. Also, Cesc has the advantage of being EU Nationality. give Eddie that and he'd probably be playing for ManU. They've been tracking him.

18. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    :D
    Poor Frank Simek and Danny Karbassiyoon...

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on Clint, Impress, and then wait for Ono to leave for Spain...and take over that spot. Heck take it over before he leaves.

20. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    He has a tittle as a rookie of the year, which makes someone wanna see how he plays, so it's actualy an open door for him to be discovered ...

21. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    NO, he is NOT the typical American player. He has wonderful ball skills as well as good "ball chasing" ability.

US was playing a kick and chase type of game last night, but that doesn't mean that's the only type of game Eddie's capable of playing.

While there may be a handful of prodigies in Europe who are more developed than EJ at age 20, there's no way he's in any way "not ready."

Names of 5 African folks 20 and under who are clearly above Eddie development-wise?

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks for clarifying that for us novices.

23. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so Feyenoord signed Clint Dempsey to replace Shinji Ono?

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey has impressed me all season long for the Revs. From day one he's taken upon himself to get better and better each game. I rated him the top rookie this season. Europe is definately in his future. Another season in MLS would up his market value. If I were a European mananger I would be salivating at his ability to play a variety of positions. He can fit into a number of formations as either a defensive midfielder or an attacking midfielder. I'd even be willing to bet with his speed and touch he could slide out wide. Best of luck to him at Feyenoord as I hope he impresses. Off subject but damn it would be nice to see a Yank representing all big three Dutch clubs.

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They haven't signed him yet. He's there on a "training" session for a week. However Ono has stated he wants to leave for Spain in June and they don't have a bonifide central midfielder to take that role.