Dempsey & Noonan Practice w/USNT

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bostonbully, Jun 8, 2005.

1. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    While waiting to catch the US-Panama showdown on Telemundo (que pasa?), I thought I'd share a personal experience I had while out in Salt Lake City:

The day after the US 3-0 victory over Costa Rica, I decided to catch the ReAl Salt Lake vs. FC Dallas Reserves match and made my way down to Rice-Eccless Stadium just after the 10 am kickoff. There were very few cars in the parking lot, prompting my first thought that the match was somewhere else. Since I was already at the stadium, coupled with my sheer love of immense man-made structures, I walked around the stadium looking for a way to get in. Alas, on the far North-East side was an opening down a ramp where the equipment trucks go. I slowly pushed through the gate and cautiously (and very quietly) made my way down the ramp. Field signage boards blocked my way. I pushed aside a large US Soccer board, a referee's table, and an American flag before making my way to the field. Once there I peered out into the empty stadium like a kid making his first visit to a professional match. Then I looked to the top of the near penalty box arc. My draw dropped. I was suddenly stopped dead in my tracks. There, in front of me, was Clint Dempsey. Next I recognized Noonan, then Goochie, then JOB, then Casey Conner, Frankie Hejduk, and a few others -- all of whom either did not play the day before or who had limited minutes. There were no starters. Just the "reserves". Plus Da Bruce and two other coaches. I spent the next 2-plus hours watching them practice.

Dempsey: Out of the 12 reserves, there is no question that Clint was the best all-around performer when all the drills were taking into account.

Clint was nearly mistake-free on 5 v. 5. He made more -- and debatebly better -- runs to quality space than all the others, including JOB. He seemed very fit; not as fit as Heydude, but then again, who's fitter than Frankie-boy. There was no question with his foot skills and dribbling abilities. He was so effective because of his unpredictability, as we've all seen in person in his performances with the Revs. Clint was the balls! He an Frankie lite up the 5 v. 5.

Clint was a bit sluggish and seemed lazy on the sprints, but his pace was solid when in full stride. Nobody was as fit as Frankie, but Clint held his own. He was pretty quick, though not the quickest, on agility drills, such as getting up from a full sitting position and then sprint 25 yards.

Clint did well with shooting drills. He beat Marcus Henhmenn (sp?) time and again when Marcus was stopping many, many good shots from all the others. With the exception of Casey Conner, who literally impressed the shite out of me with power AND accuracy, time and again, Clint was the second best out there. I can see why Bruce like Conner. Bruce and this other coached seemed to be in awe of this guy's ability putting the ball with power where he wanted. Noonie looked a bit rusty at times but then at other times dazzled with an outside the foot lazer into the far right side of the net, in which Marcus could only watch. Noonie is unexpectantly good like that. Like when he dribbles. He doesn't look dangerous or very fluent, but when he strikes, he strikes.

Clint simply ROCKED on crossing drills. NOBODY but nobody owned that drill but Dempsey. I can see why Bruce Seldom Almighty likes our Clint. Dempsey nailed nearly every header. He put the ball like a goddamn bullet into the back of the net, upper corner of the net, lower far corner of the net, over the tips of a diving Marcus' fingers in the back of the net, and all things in the back of the net. Heyduke did fairly well, too. And so did Noonie, but the Dempster took the prize.

All things being equal, and with taking into account all the drills, Dempsey ruled. Heydude came next. Then Casey, but only because of his shooting ability. Then Noonie. Then the others.

Too early to tell on Noonan, but I can say that although it's only one practice that I saw, you could tell that not only does Dempsey stand out, but Da Bruce also likes him. A lot. Or so it seems. Maybe he's the flavor of the week, young and energetic, awaiting his shot, but it seems his future with the Nats is his to grab.

Dempsey '06!

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    You seen the videos as well? Go to http://www.ussoccer.com and check out the two video segments with Clint.

The Magpie

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone care to give their impressions of how our boys played last night?

4. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Caught the first half... fell asleep for the second.

The US looked about the same as they did against Costa Rica. They came out perhaps too fast, showed perhaps too much pace, and seemed to be able to play at will, but they appeared somewhat scrappy while doing it and were sent back on their heels at times by a countering very scrappy Panama team. I found myself scratching my head a few times throughout the first half wondering how the hell the Panama forwards could gain so much ground and even get a quality chance on net.

The US were clearly the better team on the pitch. With that said, they STILL have a huge hole in missing a captain-type figure in the middle; they need someone to slow the game down when the US needs to change pace and approach play from a position of control. (Where's a fit Reyna when you need him?) But with Beasley and Donovan, two race horses, out on the pitch, the US needs someone to counter them; otherwise the entire match is go-go-go. Then again, the US lately seems successful at displaying their fitness and athletic abilities.

Ralston, who started, had many, many crosses and runs. Dononvan et al. seemed to find Ralston running the flank early and often. When the ball would appear to either be played into too much space or clearly running out of bounds, suddenly Ralston would appear, collect the ball, put a quick at-pace move on a defender, and then send the ball across. Nice crosses, for the most part, I might add. He also got back on defense when needed. He's a hard worker-bee. With the Revs and with the US.

Noonan, who also started, had a few mis-hits but otherwise seemed to play well on the other side of the field from Ralston. He had several stunning at-pace give-go-give-go-give-gos with everyone from McBride, Donovan, Beasely, and even Heydude. Noonie at times appeared -- I don't know -- out of place, but like with the Revs, performed well enough, if not very well. Noonan worked his tail off. He not only got back on defense, but he also would work to help correct any mis-hit/pass -- either one of his or a teammates'.

Dempsey did not start. I was lumbering away by the time he graced the pitch.

5. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
  6. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    My 2 cents:

Noonan played kind of a left midfield, rather than up front. Overall he was pretty much a non-factor going forward. He had a few short passes in/around the box that found their way through, but he wasn't beating people on the dribble nor was a factor on set pieces. I recall that he took a single shot, from outside the box which went wide. His defence was effective, typical hustling play, although Panama didn't seem very interested in attacking down the wings overall. One of the Panama defenders got a yellow for pushing Pat over for no apparent reason after the ball had gone out of bounds. Overall Pat was average out there. For a qualifier on the road, with the lead, he did the vital things best which is good. He was subbed out in the 81st minute, looking pretty tired.

Ralston played on the right side and was constantly involved with Donovan and Beasley, stringing passes together as the team moved forward. He saw a lot of the ball and did very well with it. His cross to Landon for the second goal was almost comical it looked so easy. The defender coughed up the ball right to Steve, he casually looked across into the box and from a virtual stand-still, sent a perfect nearpost ball onto Donovan's head. (As a side note, playing in the air is not LD's strong point but he got that goal while being closely marked by a much bigger guy. I was impressed) I thought Ralston's defense was excellent most of the night, constantly shutting guys down as Panama looked to build forward. Great game for Steve.

Dempsey came on for Beasley in the 63rd minute. Essentially spent his 30 minutes getting into defensive spots to disrupt and running at players when he had the chance. It was a good spot to come into the game as the wind was gone from Panama's sails, and Clint went right after them. Had a nice sequence soon after his entrance where he beat one then another guy out on the right flank and then was taken down. Repeatedly tried the "play the ball to space behind the defender then try to out-race him for it" move, really only having success where he beat the two guys in a row. But he did enough to make a nuisence of himself, being constantly fouled. Took a nasty tackle deep in his own end towards the end of the match. Guy was given a yellow but it could have been a Red. Clint seemed fine afterwards. Good appearence for Clint. He was fearless on both sides of the ball and really helped to make sure Panama stayed on their heels.

7. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000

ok.

8. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sometimes [red-faced] me speaks/writes too fast [staring at my toes] that my draws drop. You mean it doesn't happen to you ::confused::

Or maybe it's my jaw... yeah, that's it... my jaw :D

9. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    I thought you meant that your pants fell down.

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just lost my appetite

11. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe you guys can help me here (no, not with my draws):

While I was at the practice in Salt Lake City, a witty, always quick with a joke, and fairly short fellow with brown hair and dressed in a different practice jersey than all the other "reserves", went around and collected balls, filled water bottles and brought them to players when needed, prepared the field and placed balls for the next drill, and finally joined in on the shooting and crossing drills. Noonan kept calling him "Maxy". "Maxy" was the only one joking around and smiling of the whole group. He even attempted several bicycle kicks -- mostly flops to the grass.

Maxy didn't exactly look like Joe-Max Moore, but on the other hand he didn't NOT look like him; then again, I haven't seen JMM in a long time. Now I'm thinking that it may very well have been him. Because I can't think who else it might be.

Any guesses? Confirmations?

12. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    should there be an (R) in the thread title here? I haven't averted my eyes so quickly since I saw some guy taking a dump in an alley

13. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles

Equipment Manager: Ryan Maxfield (Los Angeles)

Look, I know Joe-Max is retired and all, but that doesn't mean he's now refilling water bottles for the USMNT.

Maxfield is a cutie, though. Always smiling - seems like a fun guy to have around.

14. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tell me how to change the title to include an [R] and I'll do it.

15. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    I have no idea, but it's not you're thread topic at all, which is pretty darn cool, it's the discussion of last night's match that followed