Dempsey: Fulham vs. Hamburg 4/29 Europa League Semifinal 2nd Leg [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by schrutebuck, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    If the Zanimal can't make the pitch, Clint will go 90+

2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right. I haven't seen any word yet on whether he's a go or not.

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Clint starts if Pantsil can't play since Baird is out. Whether Pantsil is eligible for the Europa League is unclear. Every single English media outlet is reporting he will be in the lineup. On the other hand, Pantsil wasn't placed on the Europa roster in January because he got injured.

If Pantsil is ineligible, expect Davies at rightback and Dempsey at his usual leftmidfield spot.

Of course, if Zamora is out Dempsey will start anyways.

4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    My hunch is Zanimal is fit, Hodgs is just pulling a german leg.

5. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think we'll see Zamora tonight.

6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
  7. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say he is 60/40 to start given the injuries. Regardless, I think a Brace is possible, although improbable. He did beat Juve coming off the bench, no?

8. Jordan21

Jordan21 Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Alabama
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will start... he was their best player in this past week's league game...Hodgson won't screw with that... Dare I bump up my BRACE statement to HATRICK for Dempsey...making him the undisputed god of Fulham for all time??? Better not since he has never scored one for Fulham...But mark my words a BRACE is happening!!!!

9. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for getting this right. That Liverpool game gets blown out of proportion on these boards, probably due to Dempsey's goal and how it was called the 60 million pound goal by the press. It wasn't the last game of the season, relegation wasn't on the line and Liverpool were fielding a very weakened team (made something like 9 changes due to CL final with AC Milan later that week). On the other hand, the next year Fulham was relegated down 2-0 in the second half at Man City and they came back to win 3-2 to keep hopes alive. Won a must win game at Craven Cottage the next week against Birmingham and then again the week after away at Portsmouth. All three of those games were much more meaningful than the Liverpool game because relegation was on the line in all three.

10. Jordan21

Jordan21 Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Alabama
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gosh I wish I went with my gut and put 100 bucks on fulham staying up that season...

11. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much would that have fetched?

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    A goal gets called a "60 million pound goal" and we're blowing it out proportion?

As I recall, if Fulham failed to get the result, the next match was do or die for them. As it was, Dempsey's goal ensured that they stayed up (achieved la salvezza, as Rossi would say). So yes, it was significant.

13. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    Right On - Fulham only earned 4 points in their last 5 games in the 06/07 season. To minimize the importance of those 3 points and that goal is silly.

14. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey starts on the bench, as per UEFA.com

Schwarzer, Konchesky, Pantsil, Hangeland, Gera, Murphy, Duff, Hughes, Etuhu, Zamora, Davies.

Bench: Zuberbuhler, Nevland, Riise, Dempsey, Smalling, Greening, Dikigacoi

15. Jordan21

Jordan21 Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Alabama
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  17. Jordan21

Jordan21 Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Alabama
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol crap you got me.... I don't remember but it was a whole helluva lot more than 50 to 1 i'm pretty sure

18. Bonz

Bonz New Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Western NY
  19. Bonz

Bonz New Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Western NY

There's my answer. Great news.

20. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One, I am not saying that the goal wasn't important or trying to minimize their importance, but my comment was in relation to the "most important game Fulham has played comment" When the Liverpool game was played it wasn't a do-or-die game for Fulham. Its easy to say looking back that the Liverpool game was a big game because it ultimately kept them up, but like you said they only collected 4 out of their last 15 points that season - a win in any of those other four games would have kept them up as well. They finished 16th that season with Wigan and Sheffield finishing a point back in 17th. The only point I am trying to make is that on the day the game was played the Liverpool game was not as important as any of the final three games the following season when they had to win to stay up.

21. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for Hamburg it’s: Rost, Mathijsen, Aogo, Ze Roberto, Petric, Tesche, Jarolin, J. Boateng, Demel, Pitroipa, Van Nistelrooy.

Bench: Hesl, Rozehnal, Guerrero, Berg, Arslan, Rincon, Schulz

22. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say I'm surprised as they have had recent success in Europe with that midfield (and Clint might still not be at 100%), but I am a little disappointed. Clint, when healthy, is a significantly better player than Davies.

23. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Wouldn't be shocked to see Dempsey come on for Zamora early if his problem reoccurs or to see Davies drop back to RB again with Dempsey coming on, if Fulham give up an early goal.

It can't be better than Juve at the Cottage, so I'm staying home for this one.

24. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dang that would have been sweet!

25. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    I'm surprised. I thought for sure Hodgson was trying to get Clint matchfit for this game by playing him over the weekend.